TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

DU failures... Still a thing?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by twonius, Jul 13, 2016.

1. twonius

twonius Member

I haven't heard much about newer drive units failing lately.
    Have the gremlins finally been exterminated in the later revisions or has the world just reached the acceptance stage of the grieving process?

2. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

The media can only blow one thing out of proportion at a time - this month it's autopilot. Drive unit hysteria may return at a future date if the FUD supply starts running low.

3. AndY1

AndY1 Member

Not really. Bjorn Nyland is having another drive unit replaced (@2:00):

• Informative x 1
  4. twonius

twonius Member

yeah I saw that, It's been a while since he got the current one though so perhaps this may be the last one..
    If he gets any more he'll need autopilot so he can go hands-free to signal other drivers how many he's been through.

5. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

I mean, I generally agree the media is untrustworthy, but it's hard to deny there were a disturbing number of drive unit replacements. I remember awhile back Subaru's STI had a piston ring land issue. In a handful of cases this required engine replacement. This caused mass hysteria among owners, and was nowhere near the scale of the number of Model S drivetrains replaced.

Lets ignore the media completely, though. The drive unit replacement thread has been pretty quiet for the past 6-12 months. That probably tells you all you need to know.

6. kseitzberg

kseitzberg Member

Yes, still an issue.
    Mine rear broke yesterday night on my way home. Reduced speed for a turning car in front of me (full regen) and when he was out of the way, accellerated again. Pretty hard byt not full pedal, as I had another car aproaching from behind. Heard a big smashing sound coming from the rear, and grinding metallic sounds, and NO power at all. Was able to crawl home - 1 mile - and got picked up this morning.

The car had spilled about 1/2 liter of gearbox oil on the road. When I tried to drive it onto the roadside assistance truck, there were no power at all, and even in drive, the car drove backwards. I will assume that it is the differential that has broken, and that the gear has pushed a hole in the side of the DU. Now it has been transported to the service center in Copenhagen and will be fixed during my vacation.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 2
  7. buckerine

buckerine Member

What year? The one Bjorn just got is apparently rated for 1 million miles.

• Funny x 2