Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual 120V to NEMA 14-50 adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I built myself one of these dual 120V adapters (never used it yet for charging), but am now wondering about whether I'll ever use it. I've read a few posts about hotels and RV parks with dodgy wiring, and just yesterday I was doing some more investigation of the electrical set up at the barn I bought a little while ago. Yipes! All sorts of dangerous stuff. So I'm becoming a little more cautious about electrical systems "in the wild".

Wow, a 10 year old thread! Ok, update time. I did build a dual 120V to 240V converter (with safety relays) and actually tried it once at a house I rented short term. it didn’t work, probably due to … wait for it … dodgy wiring! Anyways, in the 10 years I’ve had EVs, I’ve found that this is a pointless thing to try to do. Even more so now that we have Superchargers everywhere. The best thing I’ve bought to increase charging speed at 120V is a NEMA 5-20 adapter so that I can draw 16A from a 20A household circuit instead of just 12A. Gives you probably a 40% increase in charging speeds (less percentage energy wasted in running car electronics and fans while charging).

My
Wow, a 10 year old thread! Ok, update time. I did build a dual 120V to 240V converter (with safety relays) and actually tried it once at a house I rented short term. it didn’t work, probably due to … wait for it … dodgy wiring! Anyways, in the 10 years I’ve had EVs, I’ve found that this is a pointless thing to try to do. Even more so now that we have Superchargers everywhere. The best thing I’ve bought to increase charging speed at 120V is a NEMA 5-20 adapter so that I can draw 16A from a 20A household circuit instead of just 12A. Gives you probably a 40% increase in charging speeds (less percentage energy wasted in running car electronics and fans while charging).

My new travel kit is a 50ft NEMA 10-30 extension cord, the Tesla 10-30 UMC plug, and an adapter for NEMA 14-30 outlets. It's light and gives 240V at 24A charging from any dryer outlet. I tend to only use it at 16A to not push my luck and it still charges in <24 hrs.

Technically, you should use a NEMA 14-30 extension like this one: (https://www.amazon.com/GearIT-Welder-Extension-14-30P-Charging/dp/B09ND3575T) , but then you have an extra conductor for nothing. And that adapter should ideally connect the ground to the third conductor on the NEMA 10-30, but it actually connects the neutral. Not ideal, but works.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
My

My new travel kit is a 50ft NEMA 10-30 extension cord, the Tesla 10-30 UMC plug, and an adapter for NEMA 14-30 outlets. It's light and gives 240V at 24A charging from any dryer outlet. I tend to only use it at 16A to not push my luck and it still charges in <24 hrs.

Technically, you should use a NEMA 14-30 extension like this one: (https://www.amazon.com/GearIT-Welder-Extension-14-30P-Charging/dp/B09ND3575T) , but then you have an extra conductor for nothing. And that adapter should ideally connect the ground to the third conductor on the NEMA 10-30, but it actually connects the neutral. Not ideal, but works.
I like that idea because most any rented house is going to have a dryer. I also have found the NEMA 5-20 adapter to be very useful since 20A receptacles are usually installed in garages in the newer condos. As I said though, the proliferation of Superchargers nowadays has made a lot of this unnecessary, but I like to optimize and charging overnight is definitely part of that!

I like that idea because most any rented house is going to have a dryer. I also have found the NEMA 5-20 adapter to be very useful since 20A receptacles are usually installed in garages in the newer condos. As I said though, the proliferation of Superchargers nowadays has made a lot of this unnecessary, but I like to optimize and charging overnight is definitely part of that!
Agreed. I carry the NEMA 5-20 adapter as well. I also have a 25ft NEMA 5-20 extension cord and a 25ft NEMA 5-15 extension cord, since sometimes the outlets are just a bit far.

Yeah, agreed the superchargers are great. I have a frequent 265-mile one-way trip and even slow 240V charging at my destination means I can avoid the time spent supercharging altogether. Also, the cost savings pay for the cords in a few trips. Superchargers in my area are $0.34 / kwhr. At my destination it's under $0.10 / kwhr.

Reactions: Cosmacelf