TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Dual chargers

Discussion in 'Model S' started by irvineboy, Jan 22, 2016.

1. irvineboy

irvineboy Member

#1 irvineboy, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  2. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

Dual chargers have been optional for all but the Signature Model S. Since dual chargers are not listed, I think it's safe to assume that this P85 has only one.

3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

They are now an after-sale add on. They used to be optional in the design studio. They were never standard. The easiest way to tell is to charge on an 80 amp HPWC and see if the charging stops at 40 amps or goes higher. You can also look under the rear seat, but it's very hard to get the rear seat back in if you've never done it before.

4. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

Even easier... just go to the charging screen and try to set the amperage above 40 while not plugged in. If it goes to 80 then it's got two chargers.

Can't really do that with a CPO not physically available to mess with though.

5. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

Cheaper as add on. Is 2000 dollars, installed. Was 3500 if I remember correctly when an option on build

6. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

No. When it was an option build it was $1500 from the factory or $3500 installed after the the fact by the service center. When they got rid of the option build, they reduced the service center installed option to from $3500 to $2000

7. kwang

kwang Member

Quick noob question, would dual charger make any difference at Supercharger?!?

8. mark

mark Member

No - DC Supercharger bypasses the AC on board chargers

9. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

No - not at all. The onboard chargers are not used for supercharging (except for some signaling that seems to pass through them).

10. rfmurphy81

rfmurphy81 Member

I've got a related stupid question, just because I honestly don't know. Would charging via CHAdeMO be limited by whether you have single charge or dual chargers? I understand CHAdeMO is similar to Supercharger in that it uses DC, but not sure if there are limiting factors in it.

11. mmccord

mmccord Member

No it would not be limited by this.

12. irvineboy

irvineboy Member

Oh so you can get it as a retrofit for $2000 parts and labor?

13. deonb

deonb Active Member

Yes. My advise - dont install it until you've been in at least one situation where a high speed charger was available and it would have made a difference in your travel time if you had dual chargers.

Chances are pretty good that you'll never need / can use it.

14. Clomer

Clomer Member

Yes. It's on the Tesla Motors web site here: http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s-charging-adapters/products/2nd-onboard-charger. If it's a CPO car you're looking at, you could probably request that they install it before delivery. Even if not, they'll be able to install it shortly thereafter.

I second this. Few people can make good use of the 2nd charger, as it doesn't affect supercharging (or the CHAdeMO adaptor). It's only useful when you connect to AC charging that is capable of greater than 40 amps. This might be at home if you install an 80 amp HPWC, and there are destination charging sites that have such charging, but the vast majority of public chargers are 24 amp J1772's where a 2nd charger would make no difference.

Even with a single charger, you can go from completely empty to completely full overnight.

15. stsanford

stsanford Member

As an owner on my second MS, and now with Dual Chargers, I thought it was a waste, until I was forced due to some electrical issues at the house, to install the HPWC.

Now my car charges on a normal day in 1-1.5 hours rather than the 3-4 I was seeing. If you have irregular driving needs, it makes things a lot easier to go full-electric. There have been a few days where I got home with enough charge to make errands and shopping with the family a tight squeeze, but 15 min on the charger made it a non-worry.

Hope that helps some...

16. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Exactly. I also have "irregular driving needs" and am very happy my S has dual chargers. I have also found HPWCs at destinations running at 60 to 80A and am glad that can charge faster and not tie up the HPWC for as long as those with a single charger. Well worth the extra cost, in my opinion.

17. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Right. Destination chargers are a really good reason to have dual chargers.

18. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

A year ago I would have skipped dual chargers as high power AC charging was very rare. But now I see over 1080 destination chargers listed. Impressive and now I would get dual chargers.

19. tga

tga Active Member

But what percentage of those 1080 destination chargers are 80A (or even significantly >40A)?

I don't recall any amperage minimum for the destination charging program...

20. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

We don't know the answer to the question you posed. I only know that I have charged at 60-80A from some I've used.
    And the Tesla Destination Charging program does not require a "amperage minimum.
    I believe that over time there will be an increasing percentage of chargers over 40A as EVs become more common.