Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual chargers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Contact your local Service Center.
This is why Tesla's new UMC is limited to 32A - in practice, few drivers need to charge faster than that, and when they do, there are the superchargers that support even faster charging.

This is exactly the thing that has caused me not to purchase the second charger so far. Maybe I'll just wait for the Supercharger network to grow. For now, there are some 16kW chargers appearing in the more rural locations around Minnesota and the Dakotas. I've not done a lot of trips when I'm stuck at a 30A charger location because I cannot make it home, but I have done a couple.

This is exactly the thing that has caused me not to purchase the second charger so far. Maybe I'll just wait for the Supercharger network to grow. For now, there are some 16kW chargers appearing in the more rural locations around Minnesota and the Dakotas. I've not done a lot of trips when I'm stuck at a 30A charger location because I cannot make it home, but I have done a couple.
I have a 2014 Model S with just the single 40A charger. When I was placing my order in January 2014, it was during a brief period when they did not offer the second charger by itself! It was a bundled option for $3,700 for the second charger plus a wall connector. I sure didn't need a wall connector, so it just made that option way too expensive. I've had the car for four years now, and there are still places that would make it useful for the moment with the huge triangular hole in the Supercharger network in Eastern Oregon, but that stuff is going to be filled in within the next couple of years or so, and then it really won't matter. So at this point, it doesn't seem like a very useful idea. I just did a 5,000 mile road trip across the country and back in February, and had no need of it anywhere.

SmartSelect_20180608-183402_Drive.jpg

Here you go, to each his own. Well worth it to me.

Reactions: P85_DA
Did a road trip this weekend with our S 100D.

We hit the hotel with less than 30 miles of range left in the car.

The hotel had 2 HPWC's limited to 30A.

Took about 12 hours of overnight charging - and left the next morning with a "full" 90% charge.

Our S 100D only supports 48A charging. It evidently has the 72A charging hardware, which would require an additional $1900 to flip the software switch to turn on the extra 24A of charging (which was provided as standard a month after our car was delivered). Based on our experience so far, don't see any justification to pay $1900 for the extra charging, that we would probably never use.

Now, if Tesla offered us a one time discount, might consider it for $1000...