Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual Motor Date Change Confirmed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I got the option to configure today I was shown the following, is this new?
Screenshot_20180117-190715.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
There's rumor from Reddit that Tesla is pulling AWD to May and pushing SR to September.
That would probably help to push more people into spending more money rather than waiting... however, would also hurt chances for people wanting a basic $35k car to get a full $7.5k credit, which they need the most.

My delivery estimator still shows AWD as the latest option.

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be easier and less downtime for the production line robot set up to keep the current LR battery in the car and add the rear motor instead of switching out the battery and then going back to the LR? I get the thoughts on margin and think that after a slower set up and falling behind what they had hoped would ship, having the extra profit from the LR/AWD version would be helpful right now. Not so great for anyone waiting for the standard version though.

I can configure now too, but it’s still saying Early 2018 for SR and Spring for AWD on my page.

.. Interestingly though, I think the wording around the site may have been updated a bit. There’s no longer any mention of future alternate interior options on the configuration page (other than in the FAQ), and on the Model S page it seems that the write up for Full Self-Driving has been updated too.

I could be completely mistaken by this, but something definitely seems different or tweaked.

No it isn't. Everything we have seen says that the SR stills has three module, but there are fewer cells in each string. (Keeping the voltage the same so it doesn't get as much of a Supercharging penalty as it would if they dropped a module instead.)

I sit corrected.

But it's still no reason for it to be a bottleneck.

If they get AWD out first it'll be done because they need the money. (But sadly not mine).