Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual Motor no longer offers range choice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The $35,000 option is super important to us “poor” folk over here. We want a Tesla too. Elon said model 3 is for the masses and he is expecting to need to produce 500,000 a year at some point. If there is no $35,000 model, he won’t need to make that many. Not even close.

Realistically, Tesla should have made it a $40K car which bundled autopilot.

Total waste to have those MCUs, NVIDIA PX2 Drive Units and 8 Cameras which go unactivated.

That's going to bite them. But they are deferring the consequences of that since they are production constrained.

Getting an older Model S without the autonomy should be an option if you were not going to uptake EAP on the Model 3 anyway.

Total waste to have those MCUs, NVIDIA PX2 Drive Units and 8 Cameras which go unactivated.

That's going to bite them. But they are deferring the consequences of that since they are production constrained.

Getting an older Model S without the autonomy should be an option if you were not going to uptake EAP on the Model 3 anyway.

I agree. They must think the $35,000 price point is the sweet spot (which it probably is if they ever make it). I was PUP and EAP and MSM so I’m at $46k in today’s configurations. Hopefully they actually produce that config so I can get a Tesla!

Reactions: MXWing

Tesla is still collecting data even if it's not activated.

Reactions: nvx1977
The $35,000 option is super important to us “poor” folk over here. We want a Tesla too. Elon said model 3 is for the masses and he is expecting to need to produce 500,000 a year at some point. If there is no $35,000 model, he won’t need to make that many. Not even close.
There's still a huge upfront cost for the Model 3 which has to be paid somehow. It makes the most sense to sell the highest margin cars first.

There's still a huge upfront cost for the Model 3 which has to be paid somehow. It makes the most sense to sell the highest margin cars first.

I don’t disagree. Just dislike the presentation of a $35k model and a $49k model at first then likely introducing at least one additional even more expensive model that gets released before the cheaper option that was presented first. Heck I’m willing to be in at 46k. At least give us that option too

But why?
It's not like having 90 kWh is a new thing for S/X. (or dual motors, air suspension, etc)
- Size of battery pack and complexity increase for cooling / layout of current battery pack when striving to reduce combinatorial nightmare due to ever-increasing number of skus.
- Osbourne’ing S / X and potential of self-cannibalization
- no sharing of battery pack with s / X

I can actually understand why some may think this is necessary:
-Increased power draw opportunity for performance skus
- basis for model Y (assuming heavier though need same range expectations of 3LR).

The negatives overwhelm the positives imo, though I could easily be wrong ;)

I agree. They must think the $35,000 price point is the sweet spot (which it probably is if they ever make it). I was PUP and EAP and MSM so I’m at $46k in today’s configurations. Hopefully they actually produce that config so I can get a Tesla!

I hope so as well! They can't force customers to take EAP and at the same time, they really don't want to sell a $35K car right now so the stripped down version is going to be last on the list.

Your entry point might be SR+AWD where they have a good feeling customers will uptake on EAP. Too much risk on a $35K car end up just being $35K and not a penny more.

Tesla is still collecting data even if it's not activated.

Not worth it. They collect same data on a $120K Tesla and a $35K Tesla.

My guess about AWD, is that they have again some delay on SR battery. So instead of creating a fourth configuration named AWD SR, they just omit to mention it.

Don't think AWD SR is pushed to 2019, only the bare bone M3 at 35000$ (like indicated on website).

Some thoughts:
  • More people can afford a 35k car vs a 40k car.
  • Upon trade in, Tesla can upgrade the car to EAP/FSD for 0 cost, so extra HW is only a loss if the vehicle never gets the features.
  • The sensor and PX2 can be used in the future to collect route data for use by other cars.
  • HW is also used for AEB.
  • Provides option for Tesla to good will upgrade during evacuations (hours of bumper to bumper)
  • While supercharging, Tesla can connect and use the PX2 as a remote C/GPU. (Unlikely)

Don't think AWD SR is pushed to 2019, only the bare bone M3 at 35000$ (like indicated on website).
I disagree. Once they can have a line able to produce SR and LR and RWD and AWD then there's no reason, other than financial, not to offer SR RWD. So I don't think they'd bluntly do that. It's understandable to start line setup for more expensive configuration first, but once all drivetrain configurations are producible, it'd look really bad if they wouldn't offer the cheapest option.

Instead, I think it's the regular, non-PUP, interior that's going to be available last. Simply because that probably requires biggest number of variations in interior parts (seats, dash cloth, other materials) and a change to exterior (roof). And also I could bet that most buyers would actually choose PUP.