Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dude, really?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While the confusing layout sure is contributing to the problem, the fundamental problem here is Tesla's decision to have the charge port in the back - <drum roll> to mimic ICE cars. Dumb as a dodo decision that is haunting all of us in various scenarios.

I face the effects of this nonsense of a design everyday in my office parking lot.

Is Tesla the only EV with a charge port in the rear? If the answer is "no," then it's poor parking lot design. Some parking garages do the same thing. Maybe they should have put "straight in" spots for the EV spots only.

And a person is an "idiot" because you had to wait for them to back into a parking spot? Life's too short, man..

Reactions: Apropos
Speaking of painting stalls: I dare you to figure out how to park correctly in this stall at Winnemucca, NV, even if you are handicapped.:)

winnemmuca_handicap_charging_stall.jpg

It's great that you never have to plug in to SC, but don't forget, there are others who may not have garages to charge overnight and are more dependent on them. I, for one, will be using an office parking lot with a few Tesla chargers, and will be using them (even if it means backing into an angled space!). It's not about saving a few pennies, it's about having few other options....

While the confusing layout sure is contributing to the problem, the fundamental problem here is Tesla's decision to have the charge port in the back - <drum roll> to mimic ICE cars. Dumb as a dodo decision that is haunting all of us in various scenarios.

I face the effects of this nonsense of a design everyday in my office parking lot where the parking slots are angled and it is extremely difficult to reverse park. And if you don't reverse park the cables are not long enough to reach the charge port. So you have this situation where in the morning, some idiot Tesla driver takes forever to reverse into the angled slot - which he is not supposed to do in the first place - to save a few pennies on free electricity at office, while a dozen cars are stuck behind him waiting to finish his stupid parking maneuver.

Great idea Elon, mimicking ICE cars. My foot.

As a result I never plug in, unless I really need the juice, which is almost never.[/QUOT

I face the effects of this nonsense of a design everyday in my office parking lot where the parking slots are angled and it is extremely difficult to reverse park. And if you don't reverse park the cables are not long enough to reach the charge port. So you have this situation where in the morning, some idiot Tesla driver takes forever to reverse into the angled slot - which he is not supposed to do in the first place - to save a few pennies on free electricity at office, while a dozen cars are stuck behind him waiting to finish his stupid parking maneuver.

As a result I never plug in, unless I really need the juice, which is almost never.

Having the charger port on the left rear, means you have to back in when the power source in on the right side and furthest from the entry point (driveway). Having the port in the front does make the most sense for an newly installed EV infrastructure. Buy maybe tesla just hopes Gas stations will swap out their tanks for solar panels?
Two ports an option?

As a result I never plug in, unless I really need the juice, which is almost never.
I don't know why you think this was done to mimic ICE cars. It's where the charger fit in the design. Just because some pre-2012 EVs put the charge port in front doesn't mean that should be the default position. EVSE manufacturers make J1772s with cords long enough for a Tesla, they just have to be ordered that way.

I personally like the charge point in the rear. I like to back into my garage and if the charge port was on the front I'd have to run the charging cable the length of the car. It's much more convenient to have it on the rear.

For charging away from home I could see it being more convenient to not have to back in. But since I do 95% of my charging at home, the charge point at the rear really does work best.

Even a few hand drawn arrows with a $4 spray can in the middle of the night will stay around long enough to potentially instruct those that don't know how to park there...
I was thinking the same...

IMHO the front fender charge port is one of the goofy/ugly/silly design features most other EV/PHEV manufactures seem to be stuck on. Even if it is more practical it has always looked terrible to me. Not a big fan of the fake vents on in ICE fenders either (BMW, Infiniti, etc.)

Outside of the car forums, if you ask normal people who simply use the car as a transportation device you will be surprised to see the disdain you will get on any suggestion parking reverse is better than nose in.

How about this? go to any local mall, airport, school, whatever and come back and tell me how many have reverse parked? less than 10%, perhaps 5%? why? if it is the best thing next to sliced bread, why so many simply don't bother to reverse park. Because it is a nuisance for very little gain. Don't tell me that the rest of world are bozos and the only ones who reverse park have somehow learnt the secret to parking bliss.

Outside of the car forums, if you ask normal people who simply use the car as a transportation device you will be surprised to see the disdain you will get on any suggestion parking reverse is better than nose in.

How about this? go to any local mall, airport, school, whatever and come back and tell me how many have reverse parked? less than 10%, perhaps 5%? why? if it is the best thing next to sliced bread, why so many simply don't bother to reverse park. Because it is a nuisance for very little gain. Don't tell me that the rest of world are bozos and the only ones who reverse park have somehow learnt the secret to parking bliss.
I'm one of the "normal" people who would rather reverse into an open parking lot or driveway rather than having to do so into a garage or tight parking space. I always got the impression that people who reversed into a parking space were preparing to make a quick getaway because they were up to something. ;)

Last edited:

But most Tesla charging isn't done at malls, etc. It's done at home in garages. That's not true for everyone, I understand, but that was the intention and that's how the car was designed, to be plugged into a HPWC or outlet on the wall of the garage next to the car. The charge port is in the perfect location for that.

But most Tesla charging isn't done at malls, etc. It's done at home in garages. That's not true for everyone, I understand, but that was the intention and that's how the car was designed, to be plugged into a HPWC or outlet on the wall of the garage next to the car. The charge port is in the perfect location for that.

Untitled.png

Here is a simple rendition of a two car garage on a typical home, and assume two Tesla's with charge ports in the back. Which is the best place to have your wall socket or EVSE? A or B or C?

Answer: None of them.

Now think of two EVs that have the charge port somewhere near the front, and now you will see location A is very convenient to charge multiple EVs.

Public stations can better serve multiple EVs if they have the charge ports in the front.

• Helpful
Reactions: bredi and Rocky_H
View attachment 205365
Here is a simple rendition of a two car garage on a typical home, and assume two Tesla's with charge ports in the back. Which is the best place to have your wall socket or EVSE? A or B or C?

Answer: None of them.
Alternate answer: A, and you back into the garage.

This is how I do it, and it works quite well for me. I find that backing into a tight space is actually easier in a Model S than coming in frontwards, because the side mirrors and rear camera lets you see exactly how close you are to obstacles. If I try to come in forward, I have no way to see how close my front passenger side fender might be to hitting something.

I would imagine that someday an EV maker will figure out that the $200 or less it adds to the price of the car, the more that 2 ports makes sense. Or have it as an option.

Mechanical failure or icing over a charge door would not strand you. And you could charge from either end and either side of the vehicle.

Reactions: bredi and Ulmo
I agree with mkjayakumar

I hate that Tesla put the charge port where they did.
My car is on right side of garage and backing in is very difficult
Thus I had to put my 14-50 in position C

So I'll have to snake the charging cable along the back of my car to plug in

Im thinking it's cause Elon lives in the suburbs, and suburbanites love backing in