Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dumb collision in my garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only two times has my 2013 Sig "scared" me kind of like you described: one was failing to stop with wet brakes (fixed by Tesla, detailed in other threads) and the second was when a friend was test driving my car, were stopped waiting to right turn at a red light, and suddenly it kept forward. Afterwards we determined he probably "resumed" cruise control instead of the turn signal by reaching for the wrong stalk.

Since then I double check that cruise is OFF, not just paused, before letting anybody else drive. Possibility here?

Only two times has my 2013 Sig "scared" me kind of like you described: one was failing to stop with wet brakes (fixed by Tesla, detailed in other threads) and the second was when a friend was test driving my car, were stopped waiting to right turn at a red light, and suddenly it kept forward. Afterwards we determined he probably "resumed" cruise control instead of the turn signal by reaching for the wrong stalk.

Since then I double check that cruise is OFF, not just paused, before letting anybody else drive. Possibility here?

It's a good hypothesis, but I never use CC - it's always OFF... unless somehow I had it turned on without realizing? That would be a bit far fetched I think.
Most likely I screwed up on the pedal action, but I don't know what I did exactly, so it's hard to figure out what to fix. It's a bit frustrating because I worry I'd do it again since I have no awareness of the problem. Hopefully Tesla will provide some telemetry data to tell me what I did wrong so I can get some closure and at least pay attention to the mistake and try to correct it.

-- Greg