Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dumb question about superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you limit the charge rate at a supercharger to reduce long term battery degradation?

Don’t worry about long term battery degradation with a Tesla. After over 60K miles with the first S, there was less than 4% impact in my case (3.6% iirc, with 98% SC usage), and that was with little to no intentional rebalancing.

These are iPads with wheels - the odds of keeping one past 100,000 miles (which for most people is at least 5 years) are relatively low. Not because they’ll wear out, but because there will be compelling reasons to buy what’s next. It took several generations of iPhones before people started holding on to those (see happy iPhone 6S owners now, the recent battery games notwithstanding). Same with Teslas - after we get more range and more goodies, more people will keep theirs longer. Until then, 2-3 years, maybe 4 years seems to be the trend. Even the 2013 Sigs are getting sold more now - like that sweet one that just went for $36,900 - in minutes/hours.

Reactions: Nuclear Fusion
Don’t worry about long term battery degradation with a Tesla. After over 60K miles with the first S, there was less than 4% impact in my case (3.6% iirc, with 98% SC usage), and that was with little to no intentional rebalancing...
I'm down about 10% at 43k miles, with the majority of my miles on Supercharging road trips. So, I don't buy the argument that Teslas are immune to battery degradation.

I'm down about 10% at 43k miles, with the majority of my miles on Supercharging road trips. So, I don't buy the argument that Teslas are immune to battery degradation.

Might want to have that looked at - especially if one of the early 90 packs. There are numerous 100Kers who don’t have 10% degradation.

Anecdotally, I met one fellow a couple years ago at a northern WA SC who SCd daily during the week due to his sales territory requirements - and that was on top of leaving each morning w a full charge. His house was completely powered by solar as an aside. Anyway, he was at 91K miles and didn’t have 10% degradation.

So... no harm in having it looked at. Sounds like you’re due a new pack, and the later 90 packs are much better. Kinda like the old DUs. Once you got to a Q series one, all was good.

Might want to have that looked at - especially if one of the early 90 packs. There are numerous 100Kers who don’t have 10% degradation.

Anecdotally, I met one fellow a couple years ago at a northern WA SC who SCd daily during the week due to his sales territory requirements - and that was on top of leaving each morning w a full charge. His house was completely powered by solar as an aside. Anyway, he was at 91K miles and didn’t have 10% degradation.

So... no harm in having it looked at. Sounds like you’re due a new pack, and the later 90 packs are much better. Kinda like the old DUs. Once you got to a Q series one, all was good.
Mine is an S60 and Tesla service says my battery pack checks out fine remotely. They suggested that the problem was my charging regimen (not charging to 90% all the time leads the BMS to give false readings) but when I changed it I saw only a slight improvement, so I don't buy that explanation. I don't like to charge to 90% all the time because it means reduced regen when descending steep — up to 14% grade — mountain hairpin turns, something I do every time I leave home.

My hypothesis is that I have to work the pack in my S60 much harder (charge higher, drive lower, lots more cycles) than those with 85s (or 90s and 100s). I also live in the mountains which means higher kW use just in normal driving, a possible factor. Since most of my miles are via Supercharger that also seems a possible factor in degradation. (You've done more road trip miles than I have, how many times have you had to Supercharge to 95% and drive to <5% just to make a trip leg?)

Regardless, I just live with the reduced range — although it makes some trip legs more difficult.

Yes, I had a Q revision rebuilt DU replacement in October — what a difference, it sounds/feels like a new car! A new battery pack would be nice but Tesla doesn't seem inclined to do it.

Can you limit the charge rate at a supercharger to reduce long term battery degradation?

Ah, grasshopper: yes you can: by using it less! Before you condemn me to tongue in cheek, by limiting the maximum charge you are simply limiting in a different way: "using it less", and so: if you don't need 100% charge at a supercharger.... don't do it. Tesla will properly follow the damage curve in charging your battery, so you will see it charge at an almost miraculous rate when the battery is near empty, and slows to trickle at near full. At all points ... just limit your time, at the supercharger if you can and, given it takes far longer to charge when the battery approaches full, quitting early is your best bet if you are really worried about it.

My 2013 with 110k miles has zero battery problems. I keep it at 175 miles loaded at home. I charge to 250 when I go tripping. My beef is with the different output of the chargers on a trip. I have been in 20 states, up to DC and back a lot. New Orleans 3 times. I have a log of every super charge stop. I have called Fremont many times to report bad chargers. Mine is a Jan 2013 build, it might be a better system.
But honestly, I monitor it very closely, I am happy. I have solar system. Tesla told me to set charging at home to between 10 am and 3pm, to use solar and not grid power. If it goes to full 8 years like this I will be very happy. I was scared a few times when it sounded as it was going to explode while at a super charger. Fremont said don't worry about it.

Will it harm to the battery to leave the car plugged in every night, receiving full charge?
Plugged in every night = good
Full charge every night = bad

You don't want to go to a full charge unless you are going to drive it at least 10% of range right away. Even then you should only do it when you need that kind of range because there is some degradation going on during the time that the battery is at or near full charge. You can set the charge limit, so 80% or 90% is a good typical setting for most daily driving.

If you're going on a long road trip, don't sweat charging to 100% at home before you go. But don't do it as a matter of routine even if your morning commute satisfies the 10% of range.

Will it harm to the battery to leave the car plugged in every night, receiving full charge?

It's been said Tesla doesn't recommend leaving it at 100% for more than a half an hour. So if you are charging every night, charge to 90% or less nightly and add the rest just before you leave if you need it.

Battery degradation happens faster at higher temps and higher state of charge. Leaving it at 100% is as high as the state of charge goes, if it is cold that is less of a concern. If it is hot I'd avoid it altogether.