Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dumbest question of the year: Can the front doors ever hit the FWD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Family of 4 here, so both FWD get used.

I coulda sworn that I heard a slight 'clunk' one time when both passenger side occupants where getting out at the same time. Now I'm paranoid. Yeah I should just go out there myself and fiddle with the FWD at all height levels and with the front doors at all opening articulations, but wondering if someone has already done the research?

No. It is like 1/2" or so apart at the closest point and the right timing of both the front door and the FWD.
This was a question / myth at the very release.
I think the manual even warns about not putting your hands/fingers at the top corner of the glass on the front doors since that is where it is the closest.

Reactions: brainhouston
They should not hit if the build quality is "within spec." That said, others have mentioned it in much earlier builds. E.g.:
Driver door and falcon door hitting
and

Last edited:
If the whole car is rocking and rolling due to wind and people getting in and out, there's probably enough flex and wiggle in everything for the corner of the front glass to touch a bit if the front door is exactly opened to the right angle I suppose. Perfect storm situation though, at least on mine it's never happened. Sure is tight though. If only there were some alternate design for the back doors of a vehicle. Oh well, sadly, there is no alternative and nobody will ever conceive of one lol

Has never happened to us, and we are a family of 4 frequently using all doors. My kid did get her finger smashed on the b pillar by the front door closing while trying to climb into the open FWD so watch for that, but otherwise no issues to open / close whichever doors you want at once.

All 4 of us often pile out at the same time and although it looks really close, nothing has ever touched. Likewise I use the "single-click close" on the top of the fob with all 4 doors open and never an issue there either. I agree w/ others that it can't happen unless something is out of whack.