Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Durability of 21" tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
21' Wheel Tire Replacement Costs & Life Expectancy

Does anyone know how much these tires costs if you have to replace them? and how long they are rated to last with normal wear and tear?

A Tesla rep told me once that they last around 10,000 miles if you take care of them, but I've heard there rated for only 5,000 miles. That sounds to low to be ture. Has anyone replaced their tires yet? and if so how long did they last and what did you pay to replace them?

Does anyone know how much these tires costs if you have to replace them? and how long they are rated to last with normal wear and tear?

IIRC they have a treadwear rating of 340 treadwear UTQG so 25,000 to 35,000 miles would be typical for a tire of that rating--depending upon pressure maintenance and driving style and depending upon how far down you run the tires. While it's legal to run the tires down to the wear bars, it may not be practical to do so. Best practice is to run them down to 3.5 mm or so and then sell them for track use (or use them yourself for track day). 3.5 mm or lower is perfect for track usage.

Not sure on the miles but I went 3 days before I had to replace one of mine. :) Flat tire misjudging the wheelbase and the amount of room I needed to turn into the driveway that I took pretty quickly and hit the curb pretty hard. When I went to go check if I bent the rims I heard air leaking and I thought I bent the rim slightly that air was leaking. Turned out that the curb somehow ripped a tiny hole into the sidewall and my rim was okay.

To bring it closer to back on topic, the Continentals have a pretty cool wear indicator where they stamp DW into the tread. If the W is gone and only the D remains the tire is still good for dry. Once both are gone it's time to replace them. Based on previous experiences with heavy RWD performance sedans I expect the tires to last 10-12K miles.

A Tesla rep told me once that they last around 10,000 miles if you take care of them, but I've heard there rated for only 5,000 miles. That sounds to low to be ture. Has anyone replaced their tires yet? and if so how long did they last and what did you pay to replace them?
My back tires had uneven wear on the insides..I have 11K, wanted them to do an alignment but they didn't have the specs..now driving the rear is VERY unlinghed and a little uncontrollable..going to force them to take it in tomorrow.

10,000 seems about right. If you are looking for a lower cost of ownership though the 19" all season tires should last much longer and are cheaper.

I have 10,000 miles on my car, rotated the tires at 5,500. The tires still have significant tread left on them (the full definition of the wear bars can still be seen in the valleys of the tire, and both D & W are still visible). However, my problem was the inside shoulder wear, which was baring the cords.

Do any of the early delivery owners have enough miles to make an educated guess on the durability of the 21" performance tires? How many miles should we be thinking we can get in the real world before they need to be replaced? Thanks!
I just had to replace my two rear tires after slightly above normal, 11,500. Something they should mentioned is that they give you a comp rotation after 5K..would have been to know that before I blew $500 on new wheels.

Suggest you review this thread: 19 Tire Wear (informal) Survey

FYI, my 19"ers needed to be replaced just shy of 6,000 miles. When I complained I received a detailed response confirming that Air Suspension and Standard Regen decrease tire life.

My 19" tires have 8200 miles on them and look like new (and are wearing evenly) Air/Standard/S85. There is something else wrong, most likely toe.

I had to replace a Michelin PS yesterday due to a bubble. Cost $755.02. Had 3,000 miles on the tire, with about 800 miles of that being highway mileage and the rest city driving. My fronts have 9/32 thread. The rears have (had) 8/32 thread. The new tire has 10/32 thread. Not sure what mileage that should translate to.

what size did you go with? 245/35/21? I have the 265s in the rear, wondering if I can stretch it to 285/30/21 so I can get the hankooks. They are way cheaper than the PS2.

I replaced rear Michelin PS2s at approximately 6500 due to a self inflicted side wall defect after hitting a curb. At the time of replacement, my rears were 5/32 and the fronts (which are still on) had 8/32. I replaced with two Hankook tires to the rear and it works for my purposes.

what size did you go with? 245/35/21? I have the 265s in the rear, wondering if I can stretch it to 285/30/21 so I can get the hankooks. They are way cheaper than the PS2.

I have a P85, not the P85+ so I went with the Hankook Ventus V12 - 245/35/21 - $174 right now at tirerack.com -- I think I paid closer to $190 but still, a lot cheaper. Performance is obviously not as good but still very good when you consider you're getting 2 for the price of 1 Michelin and you still have money left over.

Not sure about stretching. I'm sure that there are others that can chime in on that.