Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dutch Model S driver uses Autopilot while on the back seat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am sure the driver thought they were being clever, smart or amusing, but this is a bit like the terrorist who tried to get on a plane with some explosive in the heel of his shoe. Result, hundreds of thousands of innocent air passengers have to go through the eternal drudgery of the current airport security process, with "take your shoes off", "take your belt off", "sorry this is taking so long you have missed your plane". Platinum grade idiot! Any remedy TM make to circumvent this sort of thing by imposing speed restrictions is highly likely to inconvenience ALL the other Tesla drivers (who ARE sensible and who DO take care when driving). But I can see that they will want to be seen to be reacting somehow.

There seems to be a common response of "this could be avoided by making AP unavailable if there is no-one in the driver's seat". I agree. Some say "What about someone putting a weight on the seat to simulate a driver?" Well I think any driver would have to start driving to get the car to a position where AP becomes available, ie onto a highway, with lane marking etc. Very difficult to then start wriggling out of your seat at the same time as replacing your weight with a suitable alternative. And, IMHO, a MUCH better alternative to some of the rumours doing the rounds about TM imposing some form of speed restriction on AP on non freeway roads. Reducing the speed limit to 45mph, or to below the road speed limit on minor roads, WOULD NOT have stopped this idiot from doing this. And encouraging people to drive below the speed limit on minor roads could so easily be dangerous if the slow driving causes frustration and impatience by the drivers behind. I feel such a solution would need more thought.

Perhaps a more fundamental question is: why does the car not ALREADY become non drivable if there is no weight in the drivers seat, under ALL conditions? If the driver leaves the seat, should the motor not shut down immediately. Perhaps I am missing a scenario where you would want to leave the seat but still have the motor live? Can't think of one.

I do hope TM are not thinking of limiting the functionality of AP as a solution, rather than imposing some level of defence against improper use.

And, IMHO, a MUCH better alternative to some of the rumours doing the rounds about TM imposing some form of speed restriction on AP on non freeway roads.

Welcome to the forums.

Just to clear something up, though, what you refer to as a rumor is actually described in the release notes for some of the more recent versions of the firmware. It's not really a rumor if Tesla has described it in release notes.

I am sure the driver thought they were being clever, smart or amusing, but this is a bit like the terrorist who tried to get on a plane with some explosive in the heel of his shoe. Result, hundreds of thousands of innocent air passengers have to go through the eternal drudgery of the current airport security process, with "take your shoes off", "take your belt off", "sorry this is taking so long you have missed your plane". Platinum grade idiot! Any remedy TM make to circumvent this sort of thing by imposing speed restrictions is highly likely to inconvenience ALL the other Tesla drivers (who ARE sensible and who DO take care when driving). But I can see that they will want to be seen to be reacting somehow.

There seems to be a common response of "this could be avoided by making AP unavailable if there is no-one in the driver's seat". I agree. Some say "What about someone putting a weight on the seat to simulate a driver?" Well I think any driver would have to start driving to get the car to a position where AP becomes available, ie onto a highway, with lane marking etc. Very difficult to then start wriggling out of your seat at the same time as replacing your weight with a suitable alternative. And, IMHO, a MUCH better alternative to some of the rumours doing the rounds about TM imposing some form of speed restriction on AP on non freeway roads. Reducing the speed limit to 45mph, or to below the road speed limit on minor roads, WOULD NOT have stopped this idiot from doing this. And encouraging people to drive below the speed limit on minor roads could so easily be dangerous if the slow driving causes frustration and impatience by the drivers behind. I feel such a solution would need more thought.

Perhaps a more fundamental question is: why does the car not ALREADY become non drivable if there is no weight in the drivers seat, under ALL conditions? If the driver leaves the seat, should the motor not shut down immediately. Perhaps I am missing a scenario where you would want to leave the seat but still have the motor live? Can't think of one.

I do hope TM are not thinking of limiting the functionality of AP as a solution, rather than imposing some level of defence against improper use.

I don't disagree with you, but there are numerous mentions of people who turn around for better visibility and depth perception while backing into a garage or parking spot, only to have the car automatically go into Park as they unwittingly took their weight off the seat to turn around. I wouldn't want this to happen on a freeway as I wriggle to remove a cardigan or pass something to someone in the back seat.

Anyway, I agree that stupid tricks by some cause inconvenience for many more. A truly smart car would be able to tell the difference, and give the benefit of the doubt to drivers who are always responsive.

ggr, I don't disagree, although I think it might be more a case of the sensitivity on the seat sensor. I would hope that if someone is looking behind them when reversing or whatever, or passing something to the back seat, then they would still have SOME weight on the seat. I am not sure I could agree that it would be safe to do either activity if the driver was so contorted as to have removed their behind completely off the seat. To me, that would be a position where the driver was no longer in full control and perhaps should not be driving, ie come to a standstill if you need to move to such an extent. But I take your point, it would need to be something that wouldn't be liable to give a false positive.

AndyW, thanks for the clarification. As a newbie I am not in a position to know what is fact and what is speculation, yet. I still don't think TM's idea of imposing silly limitations on minor roads is the solution. It does not address the idiot who wants to film themselves on the freeway, and it just imposes irritating and irrelevant limitations on an otherwise very good driver aid. If I had seen this amendment before I "confirmed" my order, I would have ABSOLUTELY have cancelled my order.

AndyW, thanks for the clarification. As a newbie I am not in a position to know what is fact and what is speculation, yet. I still don't think TM's idea of imposing silly limitations on minor roads is the solution. It does not address the idiot who wants to film themselves on the freeway, and it just imposes irritating and irrelevant limitations on an otherwise very good driver aid. If I had seen this amendment before I "confirmed" my order, I would have ABSOLUTELY have cancelled my order.

We'll, for what it's worth, I don't believe there are any reports of this actually being implemented yet. It is in the release notes, which makes it more than a rumor, but it's not inconceivable Tesla could change their mind.