TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

E.U. pricing vs U.S.

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Lukas99, May 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Lukas99

Lukas99 Member

Hi there,

I was just wondering what and if there is going to be any price discrimination for EU customers. I checked the pricing for Model S in USA and EU store, and the nominal base price is almost the same in EUR and USD. Assuming that 1 EUR is approx. 1,12 USD, then there already is a markup, potentially covering transport and duties...

Now I noticed another thing, but I did not take a screen shot. I recall originally, the price for model 3 was mentioned in EUR 35k... But currently, Model 3 EU site says price in USD 35k noting, that the price in Europe will be confirmed at later stages. Shall I be worried that the price in EUR will be higher? Anybody else noticed that the info about price in Europe has been modified?. Hope I remember well, the truth is I do not have any proof, but I am almost convinced that it was 35,000EUR originally...

Any experiences of Model S owners? Thanks...

2. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Since the price of the euro vs dollar fluctuates it's impossible to give an accurate number until later...

3. jkk_

jkk_ Member

Finnish site has been constantly saying $35k, don't know about Czech site.

4. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

The main thing to remember is that US prices are always quoted pre-tax. As well as transport costs you need to add the VAT to the cost, which probably adds about 20% to the price.​

5. Hayden

Hayden Member

Don't forget the shipping taxes to Europe.
    It's going to be close to 40k in Europe.

6. Lukas99

Lukas99 Member

That's what I am counting on... Model S is almost the same nominal price in EUR and USD, need to add 21% VAT in Czech Republic +450 EUR for the documents, and thats's it, as far as what the EU design studio says. Unfortunatelly, no govermental benefits here :-(... At least this is my hope :)))

7. smythey

smythey Member

I saw this a few months back; never seen it corroborated though. £30K sounds about right bearing in mind 20% VAT.

"The Tesla Model 3 will cost £30,000 or less in the UK, CEO Elon Musk has revealed. Musk shared the pricing detail during the Prince's Trust Leadership Dinner tonight."

8. inspron

inspron Member

Also keep in mind the transportation costs of the car and warranty replacement parts.

9. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

It's not just the EU. Teslas in Canada cost more than just the exchange rate due to the non-North American part content of the car. That adds an extra tax to the car.

10. SMSMD

SMSMD Active Member

Canadian priced was dropped twice on Model X: 90D was 142,300/ dropped to 136,600 and currently is at 129,800 Canadian dollars.