Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP disappeared/not there after private party purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So far I've used online chat to speak to 2 representatives. The first rep stated that the first owner changed the configuration to remove EAP in order to lower the purchase price of the car. (carfax indicates the first owner was a lease). Not sure why the window sticker printed directly by Tesla today wouldn't indicate that then and why the online account also has EAP listed.

The second person told me that they generally don't allow monroneys to be made available because (I'm paraphrasing here) "the configuration of the car can change after selling it the first time." I know that's true in that people can purchase software upgrades after, but not remove them (Which is what it looks like happened here). The second person did not say anything at all about the first buyer changing the configuration, only saying that he cannot say anything about what the first owner did.

He (2nd person) then kept telling me to refer to an order agreement which should be in my online account according to him, after some clarification, he was not able to find one on his end either, but kept saying the configuration that is physically in the car (basic AP, not EAP) is correct and that the sticker is wrong. He didn't say anything about why the online account has EAP as an option. I've made records of all communications with them thus far, and they have indicated now that they will check with what the first rep told me and have someone reach out to me with more info at some future time. (I think they will somehow edit the online account now also to remove where it says EAP is an option on the car).

I also realize I've made 2 threads for this, I initially didn't realize, then after some replies in both, not sure how to delete anyways so will keep updating both.

So far I've used online chat to speak to 2 representatives. The first rep stated that the first owner changed the configuration to remove EAP in order to lower the purchase price of the car. (carfax indicates the first owner was a lease). Not sure why the window sticker printed directly by Tesla today wouldn't indicate that then and why the online account also has EAP listed.

The second person told me that they generally don't allow monroneys to be made available because (I'm paraphrasing here) "the configuration of the car can change after selling it the first time." I know that's true in that people can purchase software upgrades after, but not remove them (Which is what it looks like happened here). The second person did not say anything at all about the first buyer changing the configuration, only saying that he cannot say anything about what the first owner did.

He (2nd person) then kept telling me to refer to an order agreement which should be in my online account according to him, after some clarification, he was not able to find one on his end either, but kept saying the configuration that is physically in the car (basic AP, not EAP) is correct and that the sticker is wrong. He didn't say anything about why the online account has EAP as an option. I've made records of all communications with them thus far, and they have indicated now that they will check with what the first rep told me and have someone reach out to me with more info at some future time. (I think they will somehow edit the online account now also to remove where it says EAP is an option on the car).

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
...monroneys...

Monroney window sticker is a good place to start but that is not a guarantee.

Years ago, I didn't want the fancy chrome wheels on the brand new Prius so the dealer took them off for a lesser price but I took home the same Monroney window sticker with the unchanging higher price.

What counts is the receipt (Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement) which can be different from the Monroney Sticker.

• Informative
Reactions: azred
I also realize I've made 2 threads for this, I initially didn't realize, then after some replies in both, not sure how to delete anyways so will keep updating both.

btw if you visit someone like wk057 or some other people with the car they can check when the EAP was actually deactivated. Ther's a record of the event in the car.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Thanks for letting me know about this. Was it removed from your account also?
This window sticker was printed today at a Tesla Service Center and the account also shows EAP as being on the car.

Correct, AP did not show up on my Tesla Account when delivered. I did end up purchasing it a few months later, though, and then it did show up.

But this is my experience early last year. If your MX is from earlier, it could just be that Tesla was less adept at printing new window stickers at that point.

Interestingly, this vehicle also has premium connectivity for the life of the car even though the first owner was registered after April 2019 (at 5k miles from Tesla, likely a loaner/showroom car).

This date may explain a lot. I purchased my car at the end of March, 2019, and by then EAP was no longer an option. I'm willing to bet that EAP was enabled while the vehicle was a showroom car, sold to the original owner with AP only (perhaps even with EAP accidentally lingering), and then EAP finally reverted to base AP when the account was transfered to you.

Reactions: MP3Mike
@MP3Mike my understanding was that others have had stickers reprinted and at the time they are reprinted, the most current options are shown, but that may not be true as you've indicated. The other thing is that everything else in the online account is correct (free supercharging is not there as it wouldn't be after the first owner sold it) so how can the online account be wrong?

Monroney window sticker is a good place to start but that is not a guarantee.

Years ago, I didn't want the fancy chrome wheels on the brand new Prius so the dealer took them off for a lesser price but I took home the same Monroney window sticker with the unchanging higher price.

What counts is the receipt (Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement) which can be different from the Monroney Sticker.
Very interesting. Though I surely miss a lot of posts to this forum, it seems to me lots of people have claimed Tesla was doing something unique - and possibly illegal — by selling a car with inaccurate Monroney information on the EAP/AP/FSD. (I think most people believe new car dealers can only legally remove items from a “supplemental” sticker, but not items on the Monroney. But you are saying the wheels were on the Monroney not a supplemental sticker.)

Last edited:
Could you take a pic of your autopilot config screen on the center display?

When this car was built the only options were FSD, EAP, or nothing. It *is* true that the monroney may not accurately reflect the software delivered with the car because the buyer can change the config and price shortly before delivery but after the car left the factory.

Edit: when you double tap the cruise stalk does the little grey steering wheel in the main instrument cluster turn to blue? Bong-bong sound?

@mtndrew1 yes, it does, only the current autopilot features of lane keep and cruise.
Do you mean the info in the additional vehicle information section?

The online Tesla reps told me that the car's current configuration of basic autopilot only is what is correct according to them despite what the online account and monroney says.

@mtndrew1 yes, it does, only the current autopilot features of lane keep and cruise.
Do you mean the info in the additional vehicle information section?

The online Tesla reps told me that the car's current configuration of basic autopilot only is what is correct according to them despite what the online account and monroney says.

If you wouldn’t mind, open up the vehicle settings screen on the large center display. Tap the autopilot tab. Then take a pic and post here.

Attachments

• 15859287512833248508769576029197.jpg
    15859287512833248508769576029197.jpg
    571.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Helpful
Reactions: mtndrew1
Right - if someone says EAP is one transfer only, they need to find that in the MVPA. I'm betting there is no such restriction in there. There is nothing like that in mine, so when I sell my car the third, fourth or fifth owner should still have EAP, FSD etc etc
Mine is early enough to have the standard "premium connectivity", there's nothing in my MVPA about being unable to sell that later either.

The other problem is that Tesla is removing a feature from the car that is owned by someone (the new buyer), whom is not party to any Tesla MVPA/contract. It sounds ridiculous, but if Tesla wanted it this way, they should take a security deposit from the original buyer, if the original buyer does not contact Tesla to remove EAP before selling the car, the original buyer lose the deposit. You can't take something from someone because you have a deal with someone else.

Additionally and finally, in my opinion, EAP is just as much a hardware feature as it is a software feature. Short of the glove box and steering, every single function that a Tesla does is a "software feature," it is all operated through software to some extent. Could Tesla remove all other features?

Thank you.

The only choices for autopilot in December 2017 were:

FSD
EAP
Nothing

If your car was indeed built in December of 2017 it’s not possible that it was originally equipped with basic autopilot software; it was not an option.

If the line from Tesla is that the car was downgraded by the original buyer to save money then I believe they might be lying to you.

I would escalate this. There was no way to get the feature you have on that car built on that date.