Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP & FSD changes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey,

I’m posting this in here because my point is specific to UK market.

As you will know the definition of the above has now changed essentially making both sound much weaker but crucially moving some of the EAP features into FSD. Seems to be a bit of a store regarding pricing but I found the below on reddit which on one hand answers a question but also left me confused:

E2E6713A-D4C4-4110-91D1-508B32973F89.jpeg

As of right now, my Tesla account wants £4K for me to upgrade for FSD so why do we have to pay more in the UK for the upgrade given the new price model.

Surely it should be around half that?

Secondly whilst we “EAP” customers get advanced summon we don’t appear to get navigation on AP which up until this week was being rolled out to all existing EAP owners.

Anyone able to make any better sense of this?

...Secondly whilst we “EAP” customers get advanced summon we don’t appear to get navigation on AP which up until this week was being rolled out to all existing EAP owners...

If you bought EAP, you get all those EAP functions without losing any of them. Navigation On Autopilot is included in EAP and you do not lose it with the new change.

If you didn't buy EAP, then it's a different story.

It's now stripped down to AP (not called EAP) and with 2 functions only:
1) TACC
2) AutoSteer

• Informative
Reactions: Peteski
If you bought EAP, you get all those EAP functions without losing any of them. Navigation On Autopilot is included in EAP and you do not lose it with the new change.

If you didn't buy EAP, then it's a different story.

It's now stripped down to AP (not called EAP) and with 2 functions only:
1) TACC
2) AutoSteer

If I was buying today, I would take the AP option only and pocket the rest. I do use Auto-park occasionally and it is quite good, but nowhere near enough to justify the new cost of it within the FSD package. Summon I find a useless risky gimmick and the idea of my car driving itself around a supermarket carpark full of morons doesn't fill me full of confidence! I can't see Nav on AP being of any real use to me in the UK, but I will play with it when it eventually arrives. I couldn't give a monkeys about traffic light recognition either.

Reactions: Fellsteruk
They must have updated it at some point today as mine was 4K this morning and now it’s £2,900... I guess the website update was planned on Elon time :)

Yeah mine is showing £2,900 for the upgrade from EAP to FSD. I remember it was £2,800 as an original option when I bought the car a year ago. Still got to be nuts to pay it with nothing useful to show for it. My EAP has auto park and summon anyway and will get the nav update too if it ever reaches these shores.

...Summon I find a useless risky gimmick...

Agreed that it's currently a gimmick and not that good at all.

However, when it's raining/snowing in the parking lot, it's pretty useful!

When people block your car both on the left and on the right, it's also quite useful.

Marques Brownlee on Twitter

It's just like Tesla browser. Not very useful but I can use TeslaWinds.com pretty well.

Summon I find a useless risky gimmick

Except on the very rare occasion when you cannot get into the car ...

I couldn't give a monkeys about traffic light recognition either

Except in the very rare occasion when you accidentally go through a red light ...

I've done that once, at a time of great turmoil in my life, and it terrified the bejesus out of me. I've had Autopilot thrown on the anchors because of dramatically slowing traffic ahead (just as I was glancing down to change radio [I'm definitely hand-on-wheel-at-all-times cautious user]), I think a lot of these things could be looked at, and attributed "value", from the stance of staying-alive / not having the hassle of getting a fender-bender repaired etc. etc.

But other than that I 100% agree with you. Autopilot on mile-after-mile of dual carriageway is unbelievably less tiring than manual-driving (even in cars I have owned that had TACC), ditto for using AP (or maybe just TACC) in stop-go traffic in town - just have to remember to disengage as I get to the front of the queue so I don't blindly follow the car in front onto the roundabout!, so for me that is 99.99% of the benefit; I can't see ti "driving the last mile" as being much of a gain.

The car getting from A-to-B by itself would be cool, being able to send the car to pick up my aged Father in law would save me a job, but my stance has changed (to match yours) that that is decades away. The promises for AP-upgrade delivery THIS YEAR are really modest. Might yet be surprised, but not based on previous performance of last 30 months of my ownership.

Reactions: Peteski
Except on the very rare occasion when you cannot get into the car ...

Except in the very rare occasion when you accidentally go through a red light ...

I've done that once, at a time of great turmoil in my life, and it terrified the bejesus out of me. I've had Autopilot thrown on the anchors because of dramatically slowing traffic ahead (just as I was glancing down to change radio [I'm definitely hand-on-wheel-at-all-times cautious user]), I think a lot of these things could be looked at, and attributed "value", from the stance of staying-alive / not having the hassle of getting a fender-bender repaired etc. etc.

But other than that I 100% agree with you. Autopilot on mile-after-mile of dual carriageway is unbelievably less tiring than manual-driving (even in cars I have owned that had TACC), ditto for using AP (or maybe just TACC) in stop-go traffic in town - just have to remember to disengage as I get to the front of the queue so I don't blindly follow the car in front onto the roundabout!, so for me that is 99.99% of the benefit; I can't see ti "driving the last mile" as being much of a gain.

The car getting from A-to-B by itself would be cool, being able to send the car to pick up my aged Father in law would save me a job, but my stance has changed (to match yours) that that is decades away. The promises for AP-upgrade delivery THIS YEAR are really modest. Might yet be surprised, but not based on previous performance of last 30 months of my ownership.

Totally agree. I would find features like Summon and traffic light recognition mildly useful. But I don't fully trust either of them and I wouldn't want to pay thousands of £ for those features either. If I ordered a new Tesla today I would take the new basic AP option with TACC and AS. Those features are well worth the cost, especially at the new price.

Actually this is great timing for me, because I should be ordering an M3 as a second car when available. I was debating whether or not to add EAP to match my X, but the Performance version was already looking expensive for a second car. Now this much cheaper AP package will be a great compromise. I've never used Summon in my X anyway.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I had the option for £2,900 too down from £4,700. Was waiting to see if it will go below £2k when US update to $2K but this afternoon I have no FSD option anymore so either they are updating the systems ready for the $2K pricing or it’s just gone....

Where does tit say that current EAP owners will not loose any of the current EAP features. And more important what about updates to the already existing EAP functionality. Will those continue to be tweaks for improvement or are we *sugar* out of luck? I know EAP still has a lot of issues. And does FSD include hardware 3 upgrade? Never mentioned on the Tesla Site. Or will Elon pull another scam and require additional cost for HD 3.0 to reap full benefits from FSD?

Also I should note that, according to what I can discern from the official Tesla website, those that purchased EAP before 19 Feb get the biggest screw job of all Tesle owners and buy the way that is the bulk of Tesla Owners. We, current EAP owners, have to pay $3000 to get full self drive which is what is cost when purchased new anyways ($5000 + $3000 = $8000). So, no deal there. Those that skipped any auto pilot can now get FSD for $6000, and those that purchased FSD new paid $8000 but are now supposed to get some sort of ridiculous perk. Time for class action law suit!

Where does tit say that current EAP owners will not loose any of the current EAP features. And more important what about updates to the already existing EAP functionality. Will those continue to be tweaks for improvement or are we *sugar* out of luck? I know EAP still has a lot of issues. And does FSD include hardware 3 upgrade? Never mentioned on the Tesla Site. Or will Elon pull another scam and require additional cost for HD 3.0 to reap full benefits from FSD?

Also I should note that, according to what I can discern from the official Tesla website, those that purchased EAP before 19 Feb get the biggest screw job of all Tesle owners and buy the way that is the bulk of Tesla Owners. We, current EAP owners, have to pay $3000 to get full self drive which is what is cost when purchased new anyways ($5000 + $3000 = $8000). So, no deal there. Those that skipped any auto pilot can now get FSD for $6000, and those that purchased FSD new paid $8000 but are now supposed to get some sort of ridiculous perk. Time for class action law suit!
According to Elon’s tweets the $3K to add FSD for current EAP owners will come down to $2K but will take time to sort their systems and anyone that pays the $3K ‘should’ get a $1K refund