Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP on highway 17 in California?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would be interested in hearing from people who use EAP on highway 17 (like from Los Gatos to Santa Cruz)? How well does it work? How does it deal with that curvy road?

I use EAP quite a bit, about 80% of the time, but so far I haven't really used it much on Hwy17. I imagine it might work fine; the self-steering has been working great for me and maybe it could handle that road. I am curious if other people have tried that and how your results have been? Thanks.

I would be interested in hearing from people who use EAP on highway 17 (like from Los Gatos to Santa Cruz)? How well does it work? How does it deal with that curvy road?

I use EAP quite a bit, about 80% of the time, but so far I haven't really used it much on Hwy17. I imagine it might work fine; the self-steering has been working great for me and maybe it could handle that road. I am curious if other people have tried that and how your results have been? Thanks.

Works fine when you drive the posted speed limit.

I really hate that road unless (somehow) there's like no cars on the road..

Sorry ... digression, only recently got off that road in the reverse direction, 30mins == 3 miles :(

I tried using just the TACC and it was too scary I thought, too many sudden stops and such. Most of the route the car does suggest it can drive but I've not yet decided I trust it enough..

I used it from Los Gatos to Santa Cruz recently and it worked well. It is willing to get concernedly close to the barrier wall and to other cars, but managed all the curves without any driver intervention.

I still don't trust it with highway offramps, interchanges, heavy construction areas, and lanes that merge/split, but as long as traffic is moving and the car needs to stay in a well marked lane it seems to do well, curves and all.

And, as usual, driver needs to be watching for any non-moving objects in the road.

I've used it there a little bit (not the full 17 though) and generally I had no complaints. It takes corners maybe a few mph slower than I would drive myself, but usually there are enough cars around that are going around the same speed so it's not actually an issue.

Thankfully highway 17 now has a barrier wall between the 2 directions at "Laurel Curve" (Formerly known as "deaman's curve")

Making a left turn across oncoming traffic was too unsafe...

lc1.jpg

And now:
lc2.jpg

Is Highway 17 That Dangerous or Is It Just Laurel Curve?

http://www.santacruzlive.com/dmillereditor/2012/03/16/dead-mans-curve-highway-17-horrors-revisited/

Laurel Curve - 95033 - LocalWiki

Interesting feedback- I’m curious about highway 92- San Mateo to Half Moon Bay. Should do fine for me when it’s crawling along I suppose.
Have only used AP on 92 when it is crawling with no problems....however in the last 48 hours I have experienced some scary issues with TACC on 92 where it is a divided 4 lanes by CSM I had a sudden braking in the fast lane with no shadows or anything that might have confused the camera....then the next day on 92 leaving Half Moon Bay again had a sudden braking....I love so much about the Model 3 after coming from a 2015 Model S but I am quickly losing in the TACC system....have a Jeep with ACC and in 25K miles never had an issue with sudden braking....luckily I had no tailgaters at the time...

Interesting feedback- I’m curious about highway 92- San Mateo to Half Moon Bay. Should do fine for me when it’s crawling along I suppose.

Eh, I don't love it on 92. On some of the tighter curves it'll fail to turn tight enough which basically results in you crossing the centerline. There's one particular turn where I've had the car simply slam on its brakes where I'm almost positive it saw a car in the oncoming lane as a potential crash threat (despite the fact that they were on their side -- it's just a very tight curve). There's also an S-curve section that can be taken pretty quickly, but autopilot doesn't put in enough steering angle, again, resulting in the car crossing the centerline.

Reactions: kunzjob