Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP on window sticker but I didn’t pay for it, it worked initially and then didn’t

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1) No. Autopilot was not standard and it used to cost extra. It still costs extra if you buy Model Short Range. All other trims are now standard with no extra charge.

2) Not only the OP got the cheaper option of Autopilot, he got the more expensive kind called "Enhanced Autopilot" with much more features than what your standard Autopilot has.

Maybe this wasn't clear. I don't have any assistance systems anymore. Not even cruise control or regular autopilot. All features for driver assistance were removed. I am currently driving a premium car with no cruise control.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
It should have "dumb" cruise control (Cruise that keeps your set speed but you have to disengage to slow down). If it doesnt, you need to call Tesla and get that fixed.

Also, all the safety features (lane departure, collision alert, etc) should work.

I don't even have "dumb" cruise control. The other features do still work (departure warning, etc.) They told me that when I bought the vehicle even cruise control required the level 1 autopilot purchase.

• Funny
I'm no lawyer, but reading up on "Moroney stickers" (see Monroney sticker - Wikipedia ), it seems that the Moroney sticker is a federally mandated description of car features.

If the vehicle had EAP on it - whatever EAP included at the time, then EAP was a feature of the car and sold to the owner.

Sorry if I'm wrong - and Wikipedia is often wrong - but make of it what you wish.

I'm no lawyer, but reading up on "Moroney stickers" (see Monroney sticker - Wikipedia ), it seems that the Moroney sticker is a federally mandated description of car features.

If the vehicle had EAP on it - whatever EAP included at the time, then EAP was a feature of the car and sold to the owner.

Sorry if I'm wrong - and Wikipedia is often wrong - but make of it what you wish.

That is exactly the information I found and based my post and the request towards Tesla on. Thanks for coming to the same conclusion with the same information I was able to find. Reading some of the posts I thought I was an entitled monster :)

OK Guys, I get the point. Arguments made are valid. I had something I didn't pay for. I thought the sticker was a legally binding document and I felt disappointed by the fact that the car is now considerably cheaper and comes with more features. I was also disappointed the deactivation happened without notification. How hard would it have been to call and say "Mr. Soandso we realize that the EAP was never part of your original order and we are going to activate it tomorrow at 12.00 pm. If you would like to keep it active here is what we expect you to pay." That would have been good service from a "Premium" car manufacturer and it would have been a far less frustrating experience.

Thanks for the input. I got some useful information out of the entry and I appreciate the different view points. I will be purchasing the autopilot feature to get this amazing technology back.

Just consider if a "traditional" premium brand had done something similar, like delivered a feature or an option that wasn't part of it. I think they would have decided in favor of the customer or done a better job handling the situation. My experience was tainted by a lackluster paint job, one month where I didn't have access to the car because it was being repainted and scratched interior parts and the car not even being cleaned when I took delivery. All things that wouldn't have been acceptable purchasing a BMW or something along those lines. We can disagree about my motives and trying to get something for free but you guys have to agree that it could have been handled better from a customer service standpoint, considering they are a premium manufacturer and I was an early customer.

What you might want to try is. Since you thought you already had it, you missed out on the sale price that you would have bought it at.

Worth a shot.

I don't even have "dumb" cruise control. The other features do still work (departure warning, etc.) They told me that when I bought the vehicle even cruise control required the level 1 autopilot purchase.

That sounds like B.S. I would see if you can pull some wayback machine screenshots from when you bought the car listing its standard features.

• Funny
For what it's worth, I bought a December 2018 build inventory mid range car in March 2019, and I paid for the standard autopilot. I quickly noticed it definitely had enhanced autopilot including basic summon even though it was not on the purchase agreement or window sticker. I didn't say anything and enjoyed it fully expecting one day it would get pulled from the car with an OTA update. I ended up selling that car and getting a stealth performance in July, so I'm not sure what happened with the EAP. Perhaps the car still has it, but I would not be surprised if it was also removed once the "error" was discovered. I don't think anyone should be surprised or upset when software is removed that was never paid for, and I would just count the free time as a great extended trial period to see if you find value in the product. I personally didn't see the value proposition beyond standard autopilot, so on my new car I did not purchase FSD. The long trial I had was valuable in discovering while EAP was cool, it was not worth the $6k for FSD when I bought the new car (since EAP could not be spec'd at the time).

That is exactly the information I found and based my post and the request towards Tesla on. Thanks for coming to the same conclusion with the same information I was able to find. Reading some of the posts I thought I was an entitled monster :)

I'd check out what the legal implications of items on/not on a Moroney sticker means, but it seems at first glance that Tesla sold you EAP. It's against Federal law to alter a Moroney sticker, so I would assume that your EAP is/was valid.

Perhaps it is just another screw up by Tesla and you need to be "electronically corrected?"

The only aspects of a Moroney sticker that are federally mandated are in regards to fuel efficiency / economy ratings AFAIK. There's no situation where the government mandates that you keep something you didn't pay for because they handed it to you.

• Funny
The only aspects of a Moroney sticker that are federally mandated are in regards to fuel efficiency / economy ratings AFAIK. There's no situation where the government mandates that you keep something you didn't pay for because they handed it to you.
Perhaps. On the other hand, the Moroney Sticker is a legal description of the car.

Now the issue of software on a car is weird to begin with. Can you sell "FSD" to someone else if you buy it and don't want it? If FSD or EAP is software, it probably should be licensed to the end-user. We're in the fringe areas of the legal Twilight Zone here.

I just think the legal aspects of a Moroney sticker should be investigated. That's all. All of this is really way over my pay grade!

I'd check out what the legal implications of items on/not on a Moroney sticker means, but it seems at first glance that Tesla sold you EAP. It's against Federal law to alter a Moroney sticker, so I would assume that your EAP is/was valid.

Perhaps it is just another screw up by Tesla and you need to be "electronically corrected?"

Tesla did not sell OP EAP, OP knew Tesla did not sell them EAP, and OP knew that the sticker was incorrect.
When I bought the Model 3 LR AWD I wasn't prepared to pay for the autopilot and at that time it wasn't a standard feature. The car ended up being around $60k with the blue color option.
I paid less than what is on the sticker because I did not order the enhanced auto pilot.

• Disagree
Tesla did not sell OP EAP, OP knew Tesla did not sell them EAP, and OP knew that the sticker was incorrect.

That's why this is such a quirky legal mess. Tesla makes so many changes that they may have "sold" EAP to the OP whether the OP knew it or not. Tesla may not even know it.

I've bought a lot of cars - and the bill of sale rarely is totally complete. That's why the dealer tends to give you the Moroney sticker. It's for a lot more than EPA information.

P.S. - just for grins, check out the sample Moroney sticker for a 1971 AMC Gremlin at Wikipedia. I forgot how inexpensive cars were. Also, and "AM push button radio" was an "option"!

Perhaps. On the other hand, the Moroney Sticker is a legal description of the car.

Now the issue of software on a car is weird to begin with. Can you sell "FSD" to someone else if you buy it and don't want it? If FSD or EAP is software, it probably should be licensed to the end-user. We're in the fringe areas of the legal Twilight Zone here.

I just think the legal aspects of a Moroney sticker should be investigated. That's all. All of this is really way over my pay grade!

The software stays with the car.

That's why this is such a quirky legal mess. Tesla makes so many changes that they may have "sold" EAP to the OP whether the OP knew it or not. Tesla may not even know it.

I've bought a lot of cars - and the bill of sale rarely is totally complete. That's why the dealer tends to give you the Moroney sticker. It's for a lot more than EPA information.

P.S. - just for grins, check out the sample Moroney sticker for a 1971 AMC Gremlin at Wikipedia. I forgot how inexpensive cars were. Also, and "AM push button radio" was an "option"!

The Bill of Sale is a legal document and the MVPA will be signed by both parties. Not true of a Monroney sticker.

It's against Federal law to alter a Moroney sticker, so I would assume that your EAP is/was valid...

In a traditional dealership, just like the OP's example of a more expensive 19" wheel on the sticker is listed and what if I wouldn't want to pay for that, they would take it off and get me a cheaper 18" wheel. The Monroney lists $62,700, but I only had to pay about $60,000.

But someone forgot to switch the wheels and of course, once that mistake is discovered, I'll have to pay up an additional $2,700 if I want to keep the wheels or they might "steal" back the expensive ones against my will.

So, it's possible to pay less than the Monroney price as long as the receipt has all those items accounted for ($2,700 19" wheel is included for no extra charge or additional $2,700 is due).

Status
Not open for further replies.