Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP to FSD upgrade price drop by $1k. Will be $3k until July 1st

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I ordered my Model S in November of 2016, I opted for EAP, thinking FSD would be years off. So far I was right. Had I spent the extra $, I would have seen virtually no practical benefits. Just a lighter wallet.

While stopping at intersections would be nice in theory, it would take me a while to trust it. An increase in resale value is a non issue since I have no plans to sell the car any time soon. And with COVID 19, the car will continue spend a LOT of time in the garage; probably for a long time.

Reaching the goal of safe FSD is REALLY difficult. While "conditional" SD may be available within the lifetime of my car, it is my opinion that even that may very well require an HW4 upgrade and additional sensing hardware, (and another upgrade purchase from NFSD (Near FSD) to FSD).

I'm keeping my $3K in the bank.

When I ordered my Model S in November of 2016, I opted for EAP, thinking FSD would be years off. So far I was right. Had I spent the extra $, I would have seen virtually no practical benefits. Just a lighter wallet.

While stopping at intersections would be nice in theory, it would take me a while to trust it. An increase in resale value is a non issue since I have no plans to sell the car any time soon. And with COVID 19, the car will continue spend a LOT of time in the garage; probably for a long time.

Reaching the goal of safe FSD is REALLY difficult. While "conditional" SD may be available within the lifetime of my car, it is my opinion that even that may very well require an HW4 upgrade and additional sensing hardware, (and another upgrade purchase from NFSD (Near FSD) to FSD).

I'm keeping my $3K in the bank.

better yet, purchase ~3 shares of TSLA stock!

I'd be glad to get FSD to help Tesla train their neural networks, artificial or not. But pay for that privilege?

I feel Tesla owes me for EAP: when I bought it in 11/2018, it didn't have the phantom braking problem and was not abandoning lane changes, and then it got worse and has been worse the majority of time I have owned the car.

Now, aside from long trips, I mostly use basic AP when I need to pick new tunes on my phone or when I need to use Google Maps or Waze to pick an optimal for me route. If I could fix my phone in a location where I could operate it without taking my eyes from the road, like on my older cars, I would not use AP in daily driving, maybe sometimes in stop-n-go traffic.

I admit I do have a bit of FOMO and am curious where Tesla will take AP. But I like driving my Model 3 Performance without AP so staying with the HW2.5 is easier to swallow.

Reactions: SigNC
It's not worth it for me. I have EAP and the only addition I would get is the new hardware 3. Full self driving I think is a long way out. Even if Tesla approves and releases it, each state I believe has to approve it. Plus I love to drive, I don't want the car to drive completely for me

I would have to agree that putting the $ into Tesla stock would yield more value now. That said, I do have EAP from 2018, in a fully loaded M3 ( that's all they were ready to deliver just before the federal rebates expired) so we spent more than originally intended, but I do want the car to be the best it can be into the future so I went for it.
I figure the money is doing more for me upgrading the computer in that investment than sitting in the coffee can it was in. That said, I have another $wad I'm about to drop on the stock.

I just bit the bullet today and went for the EAP to FSD upgrade. That gets me the HW3 computer (I have 2.5 now) and keeps the AP improvements coming. Without HW3 I don't see too much room for improvement in the quality of the EAP functions, and I want my car to keep surprising me. Besides I've made many X the upgrade cost from TSLA so why not?

Now 5k USD to upgrade. FSD as an 8k line item on a new car is or has already passed the price where people will buy it routinely, especially on a 40k variant. All the fixed cost of the HW and cameras is already in the car so IMO it makes more sense to charge less for it, have more uptake and make the product better faster.

Now 5k USD to upgrade. FSD as an 8k line item on a new car is or has already passed the price where people will buy it routinely, especially on a 40k variant. All the fixed cost of the HW and cameras is already in the car so IMO it makes more sense to charge less for it, have more uptake and make the product better faster.

Tesla obviously thinks otherwise- and has a lot more buyers behavior data than we do.

(besides if shadow mode worked the way Elon implied it wouldn't matter if you paid for FSD or not as far as making the product better)

Reports are that the take rate at $7k is currently about 50%. We will see if raising it to $8k significantly impacts that.

But Tesla has the real data so they would know if they are shooting themselves in the foot or not.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
Ended up getting it for 3k. I lucked out and got EAP with my car even though I didn't pay for it. Well it finally actually showed up on my account (previously did not show i had EAP) and that I was eligible for the FSD upgrade for $3k. I had missed the $2k sale but i didn't officially have EAP before so I wouldn't have been able to get it anyway. I just scheduled to have it installed, hopefully it will be soon.

I didn't get EAP previously because i wasn't really sold on it during its infancy. But since I've had a chance to use it, it has definitely made road trips and my commute so much easier. I don't really use Summon or NOA all that much but I'm intrigued that they can hopefully add more features other than stop sign / red light recognition and control. I am a bit worried however about how the definition of FSD will change by the end of this car's life cycle.

In any event now that I got FSD, can't take away my EAP ;)

Last edited:
Reports are that the take rate at $7k is currently about 50%. We will see if raising it to $8k significantly impacts that.

But Tesla has the real data so they would know if they are shooting themselves in the foot or not.

Sort of, if it was $3000 all in on a new car and that puts uptake at 95% they would be way ahead from a data collection standpoint. They wouldn't know until they know if that makes sense.

IMO that's not actually the case. If you are driving around with no AP you aren't engaging and disengaging AP and causing training events.

"training events" like that are largely a myth already debunked by Greentheonly a while ago.

https://twitter.com/greentheonly/status/1096322810694287361

It'll send basically a 1k GPS location of disengaging, but that's about it- no video or pics or detailed data.

99.9% of data collection is stuff it can collect passively regardless of the paid features on the car, like "send me pictures if you think you saw a bicycle" or "send me the log of what % of a route you thought was ok to have AP available on (regardless of if the car even has AP)"