Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP - would you miss it if you didn’t have it?

Would you get EAP all over again?

• Yes, it has saved my life at least once

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • Yes, its utility in bumper-to-bumper and when fatigued outweighs the quirks and is worth the price

Votes: 33 44.6%
  • Yes, it’s a pain right now, but without it what’s the point of a Tesla?

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Yes, Tesla will get it right one day and I will not have to pay the extra $1000 to start enjoying it

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • No, I don’t use it as much as I thought I would

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • No, it doesn’t work and I don’t see how Tesla is going to fix it given safety concerns

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • No, the quirks and the nags are not worth it

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Yes, other

Votes: 14 18.9%
  • No, other

Votes: 4 5.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I probably would have passed on EAP. My wife is the primary driver for the 3 and doubt she would dare to ever use it. Shes drives pretty conservatively and views EAP or self driving as too risky. Think the price of admission is too step for the use we have. Maybe time will tell when she gets more comfortable with the car as her commute is over 30 miles and would help, but I highly doubt she would turn it on. I on the other hand love using EAP for bumper traffic and open highways. Wish there was a way to get a refund on EAP as I'd keep it on the X and remove from the 3

I picked one of the yes answers, even though none really fit.

The adaptive cruise control is already excellent -- I can be a little bit smoother in slowing down with regen than the EAP, but not by a lot, and the only other problem I've seen in several hundred miles of driving so far is one case where the car that mine was following moved to the right-hand turning lane and slowed, causing mine to slow down quickly (where a human driver would not have slowed down at all) before switching out of "follow" mode and returning to speed-directed cruise control. So that part gets something like a B+ -- it's better than its ICE counterparts in VW, Audi and BMW, but still needs a bit of work.
So far, the autosteer is unusable as it insists on slowing down the car below 45mph, telling me I am not on a divided highway. Since there are no divided highways and no interstates where I live (Big Island of Hawaii), I guess I'll have to wait for version 9.x. Have not yet received
8.1 version 24 (HI is late getting updates), so cannot comment on summon.

But this really misses the point: we were all willing to give Tesla a no-interest loan of $1K for 2+ years to help it in developing and producing the car; for EAP and FSD, it's really much the same, but with larger loans ($5K and $3K) and much shorter periods.
For EAP, we are talking of a short-term no-interest loan of $5K that delivers known benefits (as well as the promise of additional future ones) as soon as you get your car (typically, it seems, within 4-5 weeks, although in my case it was 2.5mos -- Hawaii again), so that seems like a no-brainer.
For FSD, that was trickier: the wording on Tesla's page made it sound like FSD was monolithic and would appear only once all regulatory, judicial, insurance matters were resolved (to say nothing of software development). Under that reading, I had decided to pass on FSD until Elon sent that tweet, at which point (as my car still did not have a delivery date), I added it posthaste. Again, same thing as for EAP: a short-term no-interest loan to Tesla to help it develop additional supportive features for safe driving, with the first benefits to be reaped with the release of 9.x firmware in Aug/Sep this year and even more significant ones to be delivered later. Another no-brainer.