Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Early tesla buyers should be given a refund or free upgrades!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve bought the model S performance, model 3 performance, and solar city panels and consider myself a big tesla fan and supporter. But I think Tesla needs to reevaluate the loyalty of the people who bought the model S and 3 early, put a deposit and waited over 2 years, and believed in the company’s mission and ideology. Tesla can easily lose that loyalty by charging them a much higher price and then within a year drop the price by over 25%! How is the car going to keep its resale value? My Performance model 3 delivered at end of July 2018, without the premium paint, or white interior, or the self driving option, or the sports wheels and brakes costed $70000! Plus tax. Same car today with the $5000 sports upgrade included is priced $56900 on the site. Is this how Elon guarantees the resale personally to be comparably to the ice cars? What a shame!

You paid to be the first on your block to own a Telsa.
Like any technology it gets cheaper if you wait but then you lose that exclusiveness.

Just the title of this thread made me shake my head. Reading it didn't take that feeling away…

The OP purchased a product for an agreed-upon price, now is not happy with it. That's life. Same thing happens every day when manufacturer incentives are introduced and taken away. If he is unhappy with what he got for his money, he probably shouldn't have bought it.

Just wait and see what Tesla does in Jan if the $7K tax credit cones back. Next story will be a price increase but if the credit is not approved watch for a $2k price reduction and bundling change of configs to protect their margins. I'm sure Tesla has their pricing dart board ready for the NY.

2012 S and 2017 3 owner here. Would do it again, especially with the S. Very few folks have had an S for over 7 years - I’m glad I got in early.

now for the bad stuff - Tesla totally screwed early S folks with MCU failures and nerfing our batteries. A bit of recognition and understanding for the ‘believers’ would be appreciated

Just wait and see what Tesla does in Jan if the $7K tax credit cones back.

It's not.

if the credit is not approved watch for a $2k price reduction.

There's been two $500 price increases in recent months, so I figure maybe a $1500 cut mid-January to look like they're mostly offsetting the $1875 credit loss without really reducing price more than $500 from where it was a couple months ago.

As pointed out with previous math, barring small gaps of time (mostly folks who bought in the couple weeks between credit drop and price drop) the effective price hasn't really changed significantly on the Model 3 since launch.

Just wait and see what Tesla does in Jan if the $7K tax credit cones back. Next story will be a price increase but if the credit is not approved watch for a $2k price reduction and bundling change of configs to protect their margins. I'm sure Tesla has their pricing dart board ready for the NY.

It's not happening. There is no tax credit coming anytime for years (2021 maybe? - depending on elections). It was dead before it left the House.

I don't see any difference if you buy a new model a BMW dealer at sticker price. Few months later, the dealer can drop the price or offer rebates and you wouldn't know it. Tesla is more transparent with their prices.

I also pickup my 3 around July 2018. I have no problem paying my share to supporting Tesla and the mission.

I don't see any difference if you buy a new model a BMW dealer at sticker price. Few months later, the dealer can drop the price or offer rebates and you wouldn't know it. Tesla is more transparent with their prices.

I also pickup my 3 around July 2018. I have no problem paying my share to supporting Tesla and the mission.

No it's no the same. The MSRP stays the same or goes up on almost all cars that are in continual production. Promos, discounts, rebates, year end sales are NOT the same as lowering the MSRP because resale is not dictated by who got a deal or did not. Cars are not traditionally treated like computers and commodities. Every buyer expects sales and the like and should expect depreciation but no one expects MSRP to go down. I know some here like to equate discounts to lowering MSRP but they are NOT the same thing. Toyotas go on sale and you can get a great deal sometimes but the MSRP goes up every year not down. When I sold my Tacoma no one asked what deals I got when bought it they go off market value. The reality is Tesla played with the numbers for specific reasons.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: doghousePVD
FWIW, I do think some S owners got screwed with like 20-40k price drops.

The early P3 owners though just suck at math.

They got a $5000 cash refund AND a $7500 tax credit.

The price difference today is very little once you actually run the real net numbers. If you count fuel savings for the extra year+ they had the car there's usually no difference at all.

Here's some math (this excludes color/interior pricing which changed like 900 times)

Pre 5k refund-
$69000 for a P3D+
$64000 for a P3D-
So knock off the 5k, and the $7500 tax credit, and net prices are:
P3D+ $56,500.
P3D- $51,500.

Now, what about prices today?
P3D+ $56,990
P3D- $50,990.

Now, if you're not taking delivery before Jan 1, that means the P3D+ was cheaper in 2018 than now. And the P3D- is a whole $510 more expenisve in 2018 than today.

Of course the 2018 one also got a 14-50 adapter, phone cables, home link, mats, etc which if you buy them seperate for todays car puts you at about identical pricing.

If you do manage to take delivery at 'today' price before Jan 1 then the price difference are still only around $1500ish then and now.

And it's likely you saved $1500 or more in a year+ of not buying gasoline.

Good rebuttal. You want to be the first on the block to have an item, you pay more. Very simple. Here difference is not all that great considering what items car came with with Federal tax credit and if any state rebate which at least now in CA is smaller amount and has price cap.

Reactions: coconutboy84
No it's no the same. The MSRP stays the same or goes up on almost all cars that are in continual production. Promos, discounts, rebates, year end sales are NOT the same as lowering the MSRP because resale is not dictated by who got a deal or did not. Cars are not traditionally treated like computers and commodities. Every buyer expects sales and the like and should expect depreciation but no one expects MSRP to go down. I know some here like to equate discounts to lowering MSRP but they are NOT the same thing. Toyotas go on sale and you can get a great deal sometimes but the MSRP goes up every year not down. When I sold my Tacoma no one asked what deals I got when bought it they go off market value. The reality is Tesla played with the numbers for specific reasons.

And when you sell your Tesla nobody is going to ask whether you got the white paint as a paid option or free, or whether you got some free
(non-transferable) Supercharging credits.

And when you sell your Tesla nobody is going to ask whether you got the white paint as a paid option or free, or whether you got some free
(non-transferable) Supercharging credits.

Good thing because I got free in WRITING from Tesla and they never honored it. Delivery and sales has become a used car lot and Tesla needs to clean up their BS and stop hiding behind Arbitration agreements.

I’ve bought the model S performance, model 3 performance, and solar city panels and consider myself a big tesla fan and supporter. But I think Tesla needs to reevaluate the loyalty of the people who bought the model S and 3 early, put a deposit and waited over 2 years, and believed in the company’s mission and ideology. Tesla can easily lose that loyalty by charging them a much higher price and then within a year drop the price by over 25%! How is the car going to keep its resale value? My Performance model 3 delivered at end of July 2018, without the premium paint, or white interior, or the self driving option, or the sports wheels and brakes costed $70000! Plus tax. Same car today with the $5000 sports upgrade included is priced $56900 on the site. Is this how Elon guarantees the resale personally to be comparably to the ice cars? What a shame!

I remember when my first DVD player was $850. I'm not going to complain to Sony when they release a DVD player that's only $500 a year later.

No. Model 3 performance is only about 4k less now than it was in July 2018. How the heck do people "forget" about getting the 5k refund and 7500 tax credit?

This post is just trolling and attempting to spread misinformation. He didn't even bother to make a 2nd comment. Reporting.

Reactions: doghousePVD

Why would the $7000 rebate come back? AM I missing some new regulation?