TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Easiest Car to wash, ever?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by InsaneDriver, Sep 13, 2015.

1. InsaneDriver

InsaneDriver Member

Out of all the cars I've ever owned the Model S sure seems like the easiest to wash and wax out of all of them. It just doesn't seem to take very long to wash it and then to wax it. Maybe it's the shape, how the design flows. Even the cyclone wheels are easy to clean, rarely have any brake dust to contend with either.

I do set the suspension in the 'very high' setting, thanks Tesla Forum for that hack!!

Maybe I just love the car so much it just doesn't feel like work to clean it up!

2. Larry93428

Larry93428 Member

AMEN that!
    ~Larry

3. Jean-Claude

Jean-Claude Local Vendor - Southeast

I am going to guess you have the panoramic roof. :D

4. roblab

roblab Active Member

My wife and I have together time washing the Tesla. I, being tall, wash the top surfaces, she does the sides. Then we wax whatever we want to or can. It's always shiny and beautiful, and we think it's our fault.

5. iCAR

iCAR Member

What wax product does everyone use? Liquid or paste?

6. bredi

bredi Member

Regen Braking... Less Brake use and thus less brake dust!

7. trond.strom

trond.strom Member

8. Jeddi

Jeddi Member

It's also the easiest car to dry. Just take it for a quick 0-80 drive and most of the water comes off. Kinda looks like warm speed.

9. caddieo

caddieo Member

It's even easier and faster if wrapped. Everything just slides off.

10. InsaneDriver

InsaneDriver Member

I use Pinnacle Souveran paste (they say brilliant on red, awesome on black). It's truly amazing stuff, 100% pure Brazilian Ivory Carnauba Wax. Designed for darker colors.

11. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I use CQuartz Finest, which isn't a wax and the car looks truly amazing. Dirt just seems to blow off it. It lasts two years with a very easy 'recharge' every six months that I simply wipe on and then off almost immediately, though I only seem to have to do it annually. I have never had a car look so good or be so easy to clean. Nothing sticks to the paint.

12. tstafford

tstafford Member

If you are generally kind of lazy (like me) but like a nice, clean look (like me) I promise you that Opti-coat Pro Plus is the way to go. You will spend something like $700 but then every time you wash the car it looks like it just got detailed including a waxing. If you are planning to keep the car for even a few years there is a solid ROI on this vs. having it waxed by a detailer periodically.

13. hingisfan

hingisfan hingisfan_Mark_V

I just did opti gloss myself last week and the difference is amazing.... Dirt no longer sticks to the car, bugs aren't sticking to the nose cone... I'm sure the pros do a better job, but for $100 instead of $800 it was worth the savings to me.

14. paintpolisher

paintpolisher Banned

ONR (optimum no rinse) is the easiest way to wash your car.

15. yo mama

yo mama Member

I just pay people to make it pretty every weekend. They make it shiny and clean. I get happy.

16. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I had Opti-coat Pro applied by a professional, and I'm sure he did a great job (he has a lot of positive reviews on TMC), but the end result was underwhelming. The finish wasn't "glass smooth" like I expected, it had kind of a 'tacky' feel to it, even when just washed. Dirt doesn't just slide off.. it collects road dirt no differently than my other cars. So I'm not sure what when wrong compared to everyone else's experience. I might just go for a color wrap or plasti-dip in the future.

Also, I do the two-bucket ONR wash and that works really well. Much better than the traditional soak, lather, rinse, dry cycle I used to to which took upwards of an hour.

17. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I went with CQuartz Finest because it is known to have a much silkier feel. Though I must admit, I have not felt the Opti finish. I have read many good things about it. But I am completely satisfied with CQF.

18. paintpolisher

paintpolisher Banned

How long ago was your OptiCoat Pro done? OCP does not have that slick feeling, but water action is very good IMO. Maybe you have excessive contamination that has built up on the OCP and it needs a decon wash?

The new optimum pro plus that is applied 30-60 mins after OCP is very slick feeling and IMO keeps your finish cleaner longer.

19. TheAccuser

TheAccuser Member

Easy! There may be children reading this forum. ;)

20. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

It was done when I got the car -- about 18 months ago.

At this point, I'm not sure what my options are -- if I can just get a coat of CQuartz on top of the OCP that's there -- or do I have to wait for the OCP to diminish, or does it have to be removed before putting something else down? How do you do a decon wash?