Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

East Coast Supercharging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would think that they would first try to get the major sections of the country done first, e.g. I95 Maine->FL, I5 Seattle to LA, I80 from NY/NJ to San Fran .... in my head that would "make the most sense" to get done first as I would think those would be the most traveled roads cross country.

I see you've never tried to drive on I-75, certainly not in Georgia.

I would think that they would first try to get the major sections of the country done first, e.g. I95 Maine->FL, I5 Seattle to LA, I80 from NY/NJ to San Fran .... in my head that would "make the most sense" to get done first as I would think those would be the most traveled roads cross country.

I see you've never tried to drive on I-75, certainly not in Georgia.

Good point: I-75 is how a big chuck of America drives to Florida. SCs near Macon, Valdosta, and Gainesville would be valuable.

Yes, in fact, I-75 also gets you from through Atlanta, Chattanooga, Cincinnati, and all the way up to Detroit (which is just barely east of Atlanta).

There's no question in my mind that when Superchargers are installed in Florida, and I think that will be relatively soon, that they will be on both I-75 and I-95.

Larry

How soon Larry? That would be amazing if ready in time for me to take delivery at Miami store.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi Steve,

I of course don't know, but I think that it is possible that Tesla is not done installing Superchargers in the Northeast. As I have mentioned in other postings, I think that Florida has the necessary owner and reservation holder density coupled with very popular destinations to induce Tesla to start building the next section of the network in Florida.

You should have your Model S before there is a Florida Supercharger network, but Tesla has surprised me in how quickly they are expanding the network and being an optimist I'm hoping that it won't be too long after you have your car that they will start rolling out the network here.

Larry

Hi Steve,

I of course don't know, but I think that it is possible that Tesla is not done installing Superchargers in the Northeast. As I have mentioned in other postings, I think that Florida has the necessary owner and reservation holder density coupled with very popular destinations to induce Tesla to start building the next section of the network in Florida.

You should have your Model S before there is a Florida Supercharger network, but Tesla has surprised me in how quickly they are expanding the network and being an optimist I'm hoping that it won't be too long after you have your car that they will start rolling out the network here.

Larry

Thanks Larry I was hoping you had inside scoop ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm curious to know what is the source of the electricity that is provided at these new SuperCharging stations in Delaware and Connecticut. While it's nice that the power is free, I'm more curious to know where it comes from. Coal? Gas? Nuclear? Solar? Would be nice is Tesla shared this info.

I'm curious to know what is the source of the electricity that is provided at these new SuperCharging stations in Delaware and Connecticut. While it's nice that the power is free, I'm more curious to know where it comes from. Coal? Gas? Nuclear? Solar? Would be nice is Tesla shared this info.
Welcome to the forum.

I thought the simple answer is "the power comes from the grid."

The slightly more elaborate answer includes "... and power is fed back into the grid from solar panels."

Welcome to the forum.

I thought the simple answer is "the power comes from the grid."

The slightly more elaborate answer includes "... and power is fed back into the grid from solar panels."

Your Questions Answered | Tesla Motors

They're doing what is really the only reasonable thing to do: Buying electricity from the grid and then installing their own renewable power where they can make sure it's actually being installed. Those plans where you can pay extra for renewable power are pretty much bs if you ask me.

Not sure if anyone has used the East Coast Super Chargers yet but I can confirm they are up and fully operational. I took delivery of my car on the 22nd and my DS alerted me to the recent CT/DE installations. I have family in the Northern DC area so after convincing my wife to let me "depart" for 48 hours I was off. 763 miles later, I've put my car through 4 super charger cycles and hit all of the new stations. The car truly is a long distance traveler with these facilities and the free electricity seals the deal. If you haven't had a chance to hit the road and try these out, I highly recommend you come up with a reason to visit DC or beyond. Good Luck, Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year!
More info please! Did you charge to range mode? How fast did you drive? How many miles of range did you have left when you got to the next SC? I'm interested in making the drive from Baltimore to Hartford next month and am still a little nervous about the 200 mile distance between Milford and Newark.

These are grid-connected installations. Usually, if you look on the electric utility supplying the area's web site, they will show their generation fuel mix somewhere. My understanding is that Tesla is or will be incorporating some sort of grid-tied solar installation at or near the site sized to supply the same or more energy back to the grid than is used by cars charging. The "net" effect is that the energy all comes from solar.

These are grid-connected installations. Usually, if you look on the electric utility supplying the area's web site, they will show their generation fuel mix somewhere. My understanding is that Tesla is or will be incorporating some sort of grid-tied solar installation at or near the site sized to supply the same or more energy back to the grid than is used by cars charging. The "net" effect is that the energy all comes from solar.
Correct; power goes onto the grid in much the same way that water goes into a bathtub. Pouring a flask of holy water into the bathtub, and drawing out a flask of water elsewhere, doesn't get the same water back. In the case of power, at least, it's completely irrelevant (not to mention physically impossible) to "sort" power; the power grid is not like the ethernet, where packets can be routed from source to sink.

It's equally the case, though, that Tesla's solar injections are only (pledged to be) balancing out SC usage on average over time. From a power systems perspective, the instantaneous energy draw from the currently installed SCs will almost surely be met by ramping up natural gas-fired power plants (given the particular mix of resources that serve California, Connecticut, and Delaware).

However I did ask why there appears to be a large new diesel generator in the back of one of the photos? Is it in anyway connected to the install? Has Tesla figured out that it may be cheaper to rent one than pay the large standing charge for a 250kW connection?

It's equally the case, though, that Tesla's solar injections are only (pledged to be) balancing out SC usage on average over time. From a power systems perspective, the instantaneous energy draw from the currently installed SCs will almost surely be met by ramping up natural gas-fired power plants (given the particular mix of resources that serve California, Connecticut, and Delaware).

Solar is generally good for peak demand management (unlike wind) since sunshine is generally coincident with peak electricity usage. It's unlikely, however, that Tesla's own solar plants will negate the peak kW from the Superchargers, but the kWhs over time should be offset.

Correct; power goes onto the grid in much the same way that water goes into a bathtub. Pouring a flask of holy water into the bathtub, and drawing out a flask of water elsewhere, doesn't get the same water back. In the case of power, at least, it's completely irrelevant (not to mention physically impossible) to "sort" power; the power grid is not like the ethernet, where packets can be routed from source to sink.

A Super Charger requires "ramping up natural gas power plants" to function? No wonder the grid seems to be stretched so thin :) If the grid is so pushed to the edge of capacity, then multiple functioning solar arrays, while sitting and not charging cars, and co-located adjacent to Super Chargers, may have the opposite effect of allowing the ramping down of natural gas-fired power plants! Technically speaking-not expected at all = sarcasm! On the technical side, neither 250 MW small thermal plant(s) nor 1.5 GW large plant(s) will be "ramped" for a Super Charger with or without solar panels. At least in the short term, while users are seeing one Model S at a time, charging at 90kW :)

Last edited: