Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know how 90kW SC are configured, but for 120kW and 135kW, they are split in 3 charger block. So if 1 car is SuperCharging on a 120kW charger at full speed, he will slow down to 90kW and the new car will get 30kW available to him (remove 2-4kW in 'lost'). On a 135kW it will be 100kW versus 33kW for the new car.

Normally, using a 120kW SC when the first car drop under 60kW, then the second car will get the extra 30kW available to him. And when the first car drop under 30kW, then the second car get 90kW !

I hope I helped a few of you understand how the SC charging work between the 2 stall !

I don't know how 90kW SC are configured, but for 120kW and 135kW, they are split in 3 charger block. So if 1 car is SuperCharging on a 120kW charger at full speed, he will slow down to 90kW and the new car will get 30kW available to him (remove 2-4kW in 'lost'). On a 135kW it will be 100kW versus 33kW for the new car.

Normally, using a 120kW SC when the first car drop under 60kW, then the second car will get the extra 30kW available to him. And when the first car drop under 30kW, then the second car get 90kW !

I know that this is one of the TMC oral traditions, but have you actually logged data to see this happen, or can you point me to logged data that supports this?

I thought that the granularity was finer. Even with the 1-phase modules, there is no need to balance the phase loads exactly. I believe the newer 135 kW Superchargers use the 3-phase, European charging modules. Either way, it should be possible to switch one module at a time for 10-11 kW granularity stall to stall charging capacity switchover.

I know that this is one of the TMC oral traditions, but have you actually logged data to see this happen, or can you point me to logged data that supports this?

I do have lot of log lot of SuperCharger charge data off teslalog.com that confirm this, but it also into the Tesla SuperCharger technical manuals. (Don't ask me for it, I was only shown).

There is probably a good reason to group them by 3 and not having 'relay' or whatever they used to switch individual module between the 2 stall. Maybe it just space limitation inside the cabinet. Extra cost of the relay was not worth it. Added complexity and added pieces that could go wrong... Maybe a mix of all of them or more.

I once saw a split 70kW/64kW at the Montréal Supercharger. Both cars were at about 30% SOC. The first may only have been getting 70 kW due to a cold battery.
That is a little bit odd, since based on the specs, the max would be 67kW for 2 charger, but based on my experience, you never get the full speed by about 2.5%. So the max both car should get at half/half is 65kW each. So if one is taking 64kW, the other couldn't take 70kW.

But anyway, you will always notice a big spike of ~30kW when SuperCharging and the other stall stop using that group.

I do have lot of log lot of SuperCharger charge data off teslalog.com that confirm this, but it also into the Tesla SuperCharger technical manuals. (Don't ask me for it, I was only shown).

There is probably a good reason to group them by 3 and not having 'relay' or whatever they used to switch individual module between the 2 stall. Maybe it just space limitation inside the cabinet. Extra cost of the relay was not worth it. Added complexity and added pieces that could go wrong... Maybe a mix of all of them or more.

That is a little bit odd, since based on the specs, the max would be 67kW for 2 charger, but based on my experience, you never get the full speed by about 2.5%. So the max both car should get at half/half is 65kW each. So if one is taking 64kW, the other couldn't take 70kW.

But anyway, you will always notice a big spike of ~30kW when SuperCharging and the other stall stop using that group.

Good info! Thanks!

In thinking about this, I realized that the three Superchargers within 1.5 hours of Denver are of three flavors. Silverthorne has the 120 kW generation Cabinets; Denver (Airport Way) has 135 kW Cabinets, and Lone Tree has the "Mobile" Cabinets throttled back to 90 kW because of facility power limitations. It would be an interesting experiment for me and another MS owner to plan to arrive at the same time with ~10% SoC to do a one-two plug in and watch the charge sharing. Hmmmm... Maybe, I will make a proposal in the Mountain/SW Forum.

Good info! Thanks!

In thinking about this, I realized that the three Superchargers within 1.5 hours of Denver are of three flavors. Silverthorne has the 120 kW generation Cabinets; Denver (Airport Way) has 135 kW Cabinets, and Lone Tree has the "Mobile" Cabinets throttled back to 90 kW because of facility power limitations. It would be an interesting experiment for me and another MS owner to plan to arrive at the same time with ~10% SoC to do a one-two plug in and watch the charge sharing. Hmmmm... Maybe, I will make a proposal in the Mountain/SW Forum.

Science!

(But I thought they were removing the Lone Tree chargers?)

Arrived in Barrie SC at 6PM tonight on way back from Wasaga beach. Met a fellow TMC member doing a road trip from southern USA, who I had conversed with months ago here. Small world!

There were 4 Tesla (inc me) when I arrived, white, black, white, black (me) in alternating stalls. Besides my CPO S85 there was a 70D and two 85D. One white left and a blue P85D arrived, and then another P85 arrived just as we finished talking about TMC and our road trips.

6 total Tesla charging during our 40 minute stay, and most of them were new 2015's, it's starting to get busy up in Canada!

Arrived in Barrie SC at 6PM tonight on way back from Wasaga beach. Met a fellow TMC member doing a road trip from southern USA, who I had conversed with months ago here. Small world!

There were 4 Tesla (inc me) when I arrived, white, black, white, black (me) in alternating stalls. Besides my CPO S85 there was a 70D and two 85D. One white left and a blue P85D arrived, and then another P85 arrived just as we finished talking about TMC and our road trips.

6 total Tesla charging during our 40 minute stay, and most of them were new 2015's, it's starting to get busy up in Canada!
Yet, no more superchargers...

Anyways, anyone noticed that Toronto SC no longer shows up on the map? I was able to charge there nonetheless.

Yet, no more superchargers

I am personally satisfied with the availability of superchargers, especially Buffalo and Barrie which enabled our recent trips to NY and Owen Sound + Wasaga.

I might not be happy if something between Toronto and Kingston doesn't open this year, as that might cause me a little bit of inconvenience for some winter trips we plan, which might need range charges as opposed to the 70% charges I've been using for the past few weeks.

Just completed a road trip in my 2013-era 'old school' 60 all the way to Woodstock, NB. A few observations after hitting Superchargers in Kingston/Cornwall/Drummondville and using Sun Country (with various odds and sods the rest of the way):

1. Superchargers really rock. Obvious statement but my experience has been they work just as advertised, even in a 60. That means you can generally (in the summer) stop at each one for only about 20-30 minutes (if you are starting from low numbers like 10-20 kms...sorry Doug G, we cut it close), fill to 200-ish and burn to the next one. The stop time is just right to get a coffee, walk a dog, have a stretch. I travelled with wife, two kids and dog and it worked great.
2. Sun Country work, but... I've used a lot of Sun Country in the 2 1/2 years I've had this car and they really are a saviour for those that chose to go further afield, and don't mind the wait. However, the minor challenges come up with places like Riviere du Loup (yes, I know the SC is coming soon), where you are likely to have to complete with others staying the night as there is usually only one charger per location and you have to go out late at night to move your car, or whatever. This happened to us twice. I wish places would install two minimum, but hey one is better than nothing. Also, it is challenging in places like Edmunston where they have an awesome set-up to do a quick top up charge, but there aren't really options to support the location by having lunch as their is no restaurant (unless I missed it). Sometimes I wish I could just pay $5 right on the machine (or email payment?) to the location so that that could see I'm not an el cheapo (although we always give props via PlugShare at least).
3. There are lot of new Teslas in Canada! I was surprised how many people I met that got their cars in the last few months, or one in case just last Friday and immediately did a road trip to get it out! Canada is heating up, so I really hope the big holes in the SC map like Cobourg/Riviere du Loup/Quebec City/Niagara(?) get filled soon to get ready for all those fancy Model Xs coming.
4. Quebec loves Tesla! I could not believe how many thumbs ups, compliments, looks we got in Quebec. We saw a lot of them on the road too, so clearly Quebec is a real haven for Tesla.
5. Tesla Destination Chargers - I wish Tesla would make a very strong suggestion (maybe they already do?) that all locations that advertise as Destination Chargers must be true 80 amp. It is very disappointing to have a car with twin chargers and then find a 40 amp spot (like Hotel Sepia in QC) showing as 'up to 80 amp' on the Tesla website. Again, maybe I'm missing something here, and I know you will all correct me if I'm wrong.
6. Theory as to why Superchargers take so long in Canada - After seeing the SCs in Drummondville, but more specifically in Kingston, it occurs to me that part of Tesla's master plan with SCs must really be to find locations that, ideally, are brand new and can be built up with high capacity electric infrastructure built in from the ground up. It takes a lot of juice to power an SC, and you see with Kingston that the outlet mall location is net new and clearly built with fully modern power infrastructure in place including huge transformers, etc. It seems to me that the lead time to build a new outlet mall would be in years, not months, timeframe and it would not surprise me at all if Tesla starts the negotiation process very early with those developers planning new stuff in Canada to ensure they build in the right hardware from the get-go. Even better for the developer (as is clearly the case in Kingston) they are buying into the 'aspirational' element of the Tesla brand that plays out very nicely by plopping some stalls right in the middle of 'aspirational' outlet mall. Looking at it from the perpective of the developer, the brand/customer fit is a dead match...not necessarily in terms of actual Tesla car buyers, but people who really wish they could own one! So, using Cobourg as an example, this makes me think Tesla might be waiting to see which developer is currently working with whichever developer is currently working on a new mall there (cause there's always another new mall, right?) to build Tesla in from the get go...which basically mean the timeline for us to get our SC is dependent upon the developer timeline to build the mall itself, not on Tesla's ability to get new ones in as fast as humanly possible.

So, in short, road tripping in the summer with a Tesla is great. Smooth, relaxing and fun. The only way to make winter trips the same (I have also gone out to New Brunswick in the winter...before Superchargers existed and it was complete torture with bad/cold weather) is to have Superchargers every 100 kms on the Trans Canada. I look forward to that day.

Last edited:
A public CHAdeMO opened recently at the Markham Civic Center. Nissan contributed to the project.

Markham Civic Centre | Markham, ON | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare

In Quebec, Nissan agreed to contribute help finance 25 CHAdeMO/CCS stations. Their participation is about $15,00 per installation there (roughly 25%) based on an agreement with the Circuit Electrique network. In Ontario, I imagine it would be more ad hoc, but that Nissan will end up supporting more than just this sole unit in Markham.

It's the same AddEnergy model that have proven robust and reliable in Quebec. Note that it is VERnetwork, but currently free for now. The VERnetwork and Circuit Électrique cards are interoperable. If you don't have either card, you're better off getting the Circuit Électrique one since they both cost $10, but the Circuit Électrique starts you off with a $10 credit on your account.

Since CHAdeMO is in between Superchargers and L2, should I discuss Eastern Canadian CHAdeMO here, in trip planning, or elsewhere?

Last edited:

I was there about 7:30 and there were 3 others (all 2015's) and another came as I was pulling out. Definitely the busiest I have seen. I guess it is no surprise that cottage country would attract Tesla's.

Wow! I must be traveling at odd times, then. My experience with the Ontario SCs (I have visited all of them AFAIK) is that I am always alone, e.g. I charged today at Barrie around 2pm. Even during my road-trip in the US driving all they way to the Grand Canyon and back I have only run into other Tesla at SC a few times, and never more than one other per site.

Wow! I must be traveling at odd times, then. My experience with the Ontario SCs (I have visited all of them AFAIK) is that I am always alone, e.g. I charged today at Barrie around 2pm. Even during my road-trip in the US driving all they way to the Grand Canyon and back I have only run into other Tesla at SC a few times, and never more than one other per site.

Me too, but with the exception of Barrie. There have always been at least two, and often four other cars when I'm at Barrie. On a recent road trip to Chicago, I was the sole Tesla at every Supercharger I stopped at, both on the way there and the way back.

Some information that I got from Tranmere (Mississauga SC) yesterday (was getting a replacement J1772 adapter) :
- If you have not prepaid for annual service, they will do an "alignment check", and let you know if the car needs an alignment. If you want the alignment done, it will cost you more. If you have prepaid for the service visits, this change of policy does not affect you. This has been discussed here

I wasn't sure if it was a global change in policy or not .

- No news on whether they are moving.

- No news on whether they are moving.

When I asked several months ago, the answer was that if a location did open in the west (Oakville/Burlington area) it would have had no bearing on Tranmere and was being discussed as "in addition to". A couple of weeks ago, they were talking more like it would have been a "move" but that the whole thing had been put on hold. The concern there is that they are pretty tight for space and that having the Model X out would create some real space challenges for them.

When I asked several months ago, the answer was that if a location did open in the west (Oakville/Burlington area) it would have had no bearing on Tranmere and was being discussed as "in addition to". A couple of weeks ago, they were talking more like it would have been a "move" but that the whole thing had been put on hold. The concern there is that they are pretty tight for space and that having the Model X out would create some real space challenges for them.

Wow that many x's coming? Hopefully they can add a couple hpwc at Tranmere. I doubt that old building could support a sc. Oakville or Burlington would be a great spot for a new sc location. There's lots of car dealerships on the qew that might be well suited.