Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I go into the Supercharger screen of the NAV it lists the closest Superchargers and it shows the Grimsby SC being the second closest to me at 66km away (I am in Scarborough). Maybe that 007 Easter Egg wasn't joking, since that would imply that you are taking a shortcut across Lake Ontario!

When you actually select the SC as a destination then it shows the correct distance of 110km.

All Supercharger distances from your current location are shown "as the crow flies".

+1 Exactly! Just try doing that when you are on your way through the Buffalo -> NY stretch of the supercharger highway, and somewhere along the way if you are low on charge, one of the superchargers across lake Ontario will be shown as the next stop, it was funny, and strange when that happened, but it went away in about 10 minutes when we got a bit closer to the next charger towards NY... oh well, bug.

Except, of course, if you turn on this mode:
fsvghminsqjbwgqsvbim.jpg

All Supercharger distances from your current location are shown "as the crow flies".
New Grimsby SC is open, right off Casablanca Blvd and the QEW. Great location, will help fill that gap for travellers from Montreal or Windsor heading south (given what I hear is tough accessibility in T.O). Just drove over for a peek and charged up beside a Florida plated 85D, and grabbed a coffee from the neighbouring Tim Hortons. The network grows!

Anybody know what happens to the teams that installs a Supercharger in a place like Ontario. Are they just local contractors that disperse once the job is done, or are they a team that moves from SC installation to SC installation?

The actual installations (in Ontario) have been contracted out to a few independent contractors.

The Grimsby Supercharger was installed by an electrical contractor from Barrie.

They indicated they were moving on to another site for installation, but wouldn't tell me where.

Where are the other 2016 SCs in Ontario? I believe they are in Huntsville/Bracebridge, North Bay and Sudbury. Perhaps one of those?

Tesla recently paid to have two HPWCs installed at Deerhurst Resort in Huntsville - or at least the front desk told me that Tesla paid to have them installed.

By the way - Grimsby is not yet on the "Today" SC page on Tesla's website.

Anyone know if they have found locations yet for these three sites? Don't forget that those pins aren't always 100% accurate as Grimsby was placed in Hamilton. Huntsville and North Bay are kind of close together at 127km, it might make more sense to be about 100km north of North Bay, like Temagami. That way you could make it to Timmins which is 263km from Temagami, except in really cold weather.

Oooh, exciting ! My guess is they remain in Ontario, and my bet (hope) is something for Cottage Country with progress to Sudbury or North Bay, eg. Parry Sound or Huntsville.
My money is on Ottawa. I think someone posted a suggestion that there is another mall location in Ottawa in play.

How would the traffic through Ottawa compare with Cottage Country / Sudbury? I'm thinking the former would be quite seasonal.

There has been a job listing for a Supercharger project manager out of Oakville/Toronto for over a month. When these posts get filled, there is often a few weeks delay before the listing is pulled. I wouldn't be surprised if someone is already on the job or at least in training. In any case, this is a clear indication of a push in Eastern Canada. Previously, I believe such projects were handled by someone whose number one priority was probably projects in the States.

My money is on Ottawa. I think someone posted a suggestion that there is another mall location in Ottawa in play.

How would the traffic through Ottawa compare with Cottage Country / Sudbury? I'm thinking the former would be quite seasonal.
You're right - I forgot that Ottawa is on the list for this year. You are correct that it would likely get a lot more traffic.

The advantage to these cottage country locations is that you start to push out the radius for where a Tesla can travel. Add about four more SCs in Northern Ontario and you can do the TCan from RdL through Northern Ontario out to the Sask/Man Provincial boder.

Where are the other 2016 SCs in Ontario? I believe they are in Huntsville/Bracebridge, North Bay and Sudbury. Perhaps one of those?

Tesla recently paid to have two HPWCs installed at Deerhurst Resort in Huntsville - or at least the front desk told me that Tesla paid to have them installed.

By the way - Grimsby is not yet on the "Today" SC page on Tesla's website.

I wonder why it is not appearing...it is listed on the "places" tab in the vehicle.

Regardless, the station is live as we speak.