Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure why you are livid with Tesla because you hit some broken and occupied chargers. You knowingly traveled to an area without Superchargers. Yes... it happens to be Ottawa versus a sleepy northern town but Tesla didn't leave you hanging unexpectedly.

As a matter of fact, half of the people on this forum regularly argue that Superchargers should NOT be placed in major urban centers like Ottawa. So in that sense, Montreal, Cornwall and Kingston facilitate long distance travel as Tesla theoretically intended.

In regards to your friends comment about 'lack of infrastructure,' that can't be argued except to say Ottawa/Gatineu now appear to have two high power Chademo stations. Yes, the adapter is optional / pricey, but you didn't help her perception by not being able to use the best charger option available.

I bet you would be less cranky if there were a Boston Pizza nearby. (jokes) :p
I agree except when I say Ottawa, I mean the greater region .
I would think Kanata or Perth would be ideal spots for easy access from Toronto. Certainly doesnt need to be east of Ottawa as it would be too close to Montreal.
I'm just saying that a SC between Ottawa and Toronto on Hwy 7 area is what is needed.
And don't get me going on the navigation map that refuses to route me on Hwy 10 between Kingston and Ottawa.
It keeps wanting to put me on the 416, way out of my way, or the 15, once I get away from Ottawa. Again, out of my way .
I just wish we had waypoints!
End of rant! Lol!

So here I am charging with the Tesla charger at the Brookstreet hotel in Ottawa.
I desperately needed a charge after my stay in Carp.
I pulled in and of course both tesla spots were taken. Had to use the awful and slow, 30A public charger next to them.
Finally am able to move over to the Tesla charger.
Need at least 180 km range to get to Kingston SC on Hwy 10.
Still need another hour charging.
I was at the Canadian aviation museum yesterday and that too, had a Tesla charging so I plugged into the Sun Country one and of course it was broken. I called Sun Country and they said they delivered a replacement two months ago! Really?
Whose to blame here?
So we managed to crawl to the Westin tesla charger, which was also slow, and charge 30 min or so just so we can get back to Carp and plug in overnight at 120V @ 6 km an hour!
Hence the reason for charging again at Brookstreet!
I also have a slow leak in one of the tires!
To say that I am livid with Tesla is an understatement!
What a total waste of time coming here because of this hassle!

My friend in Ottawa said she would never buy an EV because of the waiting and lack of infrastructure. Can you blame her?
Obviously this is unusual and I tried to tell her but she would have no part of it and is determined that electric car usage is still not ready yet.
Misinformed minds is not what Tesla needs right now!

Tesla, for the love of humanity, get your act together and put a &&&)$&@7&! Supercharger NOW in the Ottawa region!
This is $&@&)((@ ludicrous!
Even if you have to rip out the useless Superchargers in Parry Sound and Huntsville to do it, get it done!
Totally unacceptable!
Did I say I was livid!
Oh yes I did.
I am livid with Tesla right now as Ottawa should have had a SC years ago! Permits, if that's the issue, should have been resolved four years ago!
Someone at Tesla is not doing his or her job!
I'm still livid!

I assume you have PlugShare to check for chargers since you've been to a few already, so have you noticed that there are 2 CHAdeMO chargers, one in the Byward market, and one for your way back to Kingston in Kemptville (Solacity)? (not to mention the one in Gatineau)

Buying the adapter is a necessity as long as you travel out of the Supercharger network area, and I'm sure you can afford it. I definitely disagree with the "lack of infrastructure" statement. It's MUCH better than just a year ago. Ontario and Quebec are doing their best to install L2 and L3 chargers everywhere possible. Yes, Tesla didn't do its best in Canada, but Tesla cannot do everything on their on, and the focus was never the urban areas as stated above. Your friend got the wrong impression because of you, which is exactly against the awareness that we try to spread.

Reactions: SmartElectric
The situation is so much better now then when I first started driving a Tesla in 2010. Back then there was one - ONE - J1772 in Ontario. And one in Quebec. Never got the chance to try either. My long distance travel was entirely through RV campgrounds. I've spent many hours cooling my heels waiting for my car to charge. Just part of being an early adopter.

The situation now is much better, but it could use some improvement. Yes we feel just a wee bit neglected here in Ottawa - despite years of promises, no service center, no supercharger. And Ottawa / Gatineau is the third largest urban area in Canada, at 1.28 million.

Completely disagree. The joy in these vehicles is driving as much as possible and I refuse to be held back by the SC network. A very minor investment in an adaptor opens up many possibilities, increasingly so.

Agreed. When the Chademo reaches critical mass in Ontario I'll pick one up. It's starting to happen.

Completely disagree. The joy in these vehicles is driving as much as possible and I refuse to be held back by the SC network. A very minor investment in an adaptor opens up many possibilities, increasingly so.
I use my CHAdeMO frequently even when Superchargers are nearby because it is more convenient to use the charging stations within walking distance of my preferred lunch spots. For example, almost anywhere in Quebec. Next, several locations in the SouthEast US, where I often find Quebec and Ontario Teslas charging with CHAdeMO adapters. I do not expect that situation to change until there is a CharIn adapter available, after which SAECombo will probably supplant lots of CHAdeMO. That will be at least a couple of years away.

The only place I go where I could use one is Ottawa, and if they place a Supercharger there I won't need one.

The other factor is the rumour that Tesla is working on an adapter that will handle both Chademo and CCS, which would be much more useful.
Very unlikely, because the entire logical and physical setup is teh two are incompatible. Structurally current Tesla cars are equipped for CCS and European Tesla are already physically compatible. However the present CharIn standards preclude adapters so that must change before a Tesla CCS adapter could be deployed. With almost the entire industry now joining CharIn, it's probably reasonable that an adapter standard will be developed. There are probably two big impediments: First, the European industrial members are acutely nervous about adapters due to fire and electrocution risks plus quality control. Second, The CharIn payment systems standard must be accomodated. Neither of these two are insurmountable but both present non0trivial challenges. The are not really technical, although the CharIn CCS adapter might make the CHAdeMO one look sleek. They are essentially political, as are all multi-jurisdictional standards. 'Ain't gonna be cheap'.

"And Ottawa / Gatineau is the third largest urban area in Canada, at 1.28 million."

Actually, that's not correct.
Calgary is 1.3 Million, Edmonton 1.1 million.
Vancouver's population exceeds that by about two million!
The latter will even surpass Montreal in 10 years or so!

The other factor is the rumour that Tesla is working on an adapter that will handle both Chademo and CCS, which would be much more useful.

That would be a monster with those two giant frankenplugs hanging off of it. More likely, Tesla will bring out a separate CCS adapter.

Right now, I am aware of two L3 sites that are CHAdeMO only and all the others are combo CHAdeMO/CCS. I suppose as the Bolt gains traction, more GM dealers will install CCS units...

That would be a monster with those two giant frankenplugs hanging off of it. More likely, Tesla will bring out a separate CCS adapter.

Right now, I am aware of two L3 sites that are CHAdeMO only and all the others are combo CHAdeMO/CCS. I suppose as the Bolt gains traction, more GM dealers will install CCS units...
FWIW, as mentioned above CharIN rules prohibit adapters. That might change. The impetus for CCS really is not just GM but all the Europeans, all of whose follow CharIN, and ChargePoint plus VW are deploying CCS rapidly. Around 2020 or before CCS will be all over NA, including both Canada and Mexico. It really will not be too much quicker because the great rush of BEV's is beginning in the 2019/2020 model years.

CharIN ( Charging Initiative ) is a mainly European organization and Tesla is a core member. The European 3 phase CCS is based on the Mennekes connector which also European models of Tesla use. The North American CCS is based on the single phase J1772 connector. Again no compatibility.

Tesla also uses the Mennekes connector at Superchargers to pump in 400V DC, a non standard use.
CCS differences.JPG

Many of the BMW dealers that sell the i3 now have CCS-only stations. However, they are almost all 25 kW max and suffer from the typical problems of dealership-based units: frequently ICEd by inventory cars, inaccessible off-hours, poorly maintained, etc.

It is true that GM is requiring CCS at Bolt dealers (deadline unknown) but hosts are NOT required to make them available to the public and 25 kW is considered acceptable.

The anti-Tesla troll Jeremy Cato had the nerve to say in his Bolt review that the Chevy vehicle is the only EV that comes with a pan-Canadian quick charge network!