Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My dad lives in Edmundston, I live in Fredericton. Yup he is aware of the Tesla Destination, having put 2 at his own business after I hassled him for a few months. Took much longer to convince him to buy a Tesla! xD

I agree, the province is in dire need of L3 chargers. We will get them, I am sure. The stars are slowly aligning, and things will fall into place :)

EDIT: Watch out for when this gets announced! I am hopeful to see investments in the prairies, western Ontario and on the east coast, where the infrastructure is not already in place. Electric Vehicle and Alternative Fuel Infrastructure Deployment Initiative | Natural Resources Canada

In the News and Updates section you will find that only a tiny part of the total budget has been allocated.
Yes a few ChaDeMo's in NB would be fantastic for those of us coming home to the Maritimes from Upper Canada. At least your dad is close to the SC at Riviere du Loup when travelling west.

Reactions: Jaff
I'm afraid this program isn't generous enough to get anything installed, except perhaps in the provinces that have the most EVs. As I read it, they only pay half and a portion of the fees you collect for charging has to go to pay back the grant/loan.

Actually, Canada has been adamant they they want to have a coast to coast network. The project is like any other Federal-Provincial Cost Shared Projects. The Feds pay up to 50%, and it is not a grant. The proponents are free to use any cost recovery methods as they wish, if any.

Keep your eyes opened bud, all is not negative! Trust me! :)

The lack of Quebec SC's is a big WTF. Cheap clean hydro, plenty of Teslas driving around, established EV culture and incentives, largest service centre in North America (Montreal), and a real need for charging in cold weather driving... :(

That said, I note that Quebec currently has many more Level 3 DC fast chargers than any other province in Canada. Tesla owners with a CHAdeMO adaptor have access to a wide range of charging locations in the southern part of the province.

• Informative
Reactions: Jaff and Falkirk
That said, I note that Quebec currently has many more Level 3 DC fast chargers than any other province in Canada. Tesla owners with a CHAdeMO adaptor have access to a wide range of charging locations in the southern part of the province.
I would hope Québec isn't being punished for being early adopters in that regard. Especially since all their stations are power limited well under 40kW apparently to save on demand charges...

Reactions: lukex4

CHAdeMO was nice two years ago in Quebec, when it was a huge step-up from the handful of 16 kW public chargers. It's getting less fun now, especially since many LEAFs (which charge very slowly in the Winter) and now Bolts are clogging up the single-station CHAdeMO sites.

Those same demand charge issues may also be giving Tesla pause.

Effective April 1st, a new rate specially for EV charging with peaks between 50 kW and 200 kW will be available in QC. This will relieve most of the demand charge burden at small DCFC sites. All of the Circuit Electric CHAdeMO should be bumped from 41 kW from 50 kW.

I wonder if Tesla could benefit by getting a lot of 2-stall Superchargers installed.

My Dad is getting his X90D delivered in New Brunswick next week. He has made me aware that Tesla will be delivering 5 cars in the maritimes next week.

I am halfway through my Eastern Canada road trip adventure and it hasn't been much fun. I am driving 85kph (speed limit 110) with no heat just to get a decent range.

I'm rolling into every charger between zero and 10km of range... and so late at night that I am not even full by morning.

I've run into a couple broken chargers, including the CHADEMO at Truro that is limited to 2/3 power output. Compounding that is the FLO network that requires a $10 minimum balance on their account. I hoped to walk around St John for an hour today but I'd essentially pay $10 for an hour of charge since I am not likely to use their network in the near future (versus ChargePoint chargers that take credit cards on the spot). Without a plug, my vehicle would cool too much and so I kept moving.

On the flip side, the EV camaraderie has been excellent. Every comment I make on PlugShare has gotten a direct reply from a local EV owner offering advice or assistance. One person even came to the charger to say hello but I had already departed.

Tomorrow I leave New Brunswick for Toronto. I may not be allowed to cut through Maine because I have professional camera equipment. I would really not enjoy the trip to Rivière Du Loup.

I've done long distance, questionable routes with no safety margin before but this is taking a lot more out of me.

I am halfway through my Eastern Canada road trip adventure and it hasn't been much fun. I am driving 85kph (speed limit 110) with no heat just to get a decent range.

I'm rolling into every charger between zero and 10km of range... and so late at night that I am not even full by morning.

I've run into a couple broken chargers, including the CHADEMO at Truro that is limited to 2/3 power output. Compounding that is the FLO network that requires a $10 minimum balance on their account. I hoped to walk around St John for an hour today but I'd essentially pay $10 for an hour of charge since I am not likely to use their network in the near future (versus ChargePoint chargers that take credit cards on the spot). Without a plug, my vehicle would cool too much and so I kept moving.

On the flip side, the EV camaraderie has been excellent. Every comment I make on PlugShare has gotten a direct reply from a local EV owner offering advice or assistance. One person even came to the charger to say hello but I had already departed.

Tomorrow I leave New Brunswick for Toronto. I may not be allowed to cut through Maine because I have professional camera equipment. I would really not enjoy the trip to Rivière Du Loup.

I've done long distance, questionable routes with no safety margin before but this is taking a lot more out of me.
I read some of your checkins and I'm half feeling the itch for my next road trip east! Almost. It is a desperate situation with no real L3 charging. Downright dangerous in the winter.

Good luck and dress warmly!

I read some of your checkins and I'm half feeling the itch for my next road trip east! Almost. It is a desperate situation with no real L3 charging. Downright dangerous in the winter.

Good luck and dress warmly!

Your advice on Sugarloaf saved the day on my drive down. I was borderline on making it from Sherbrook to Brewer. So, I had a small meal at Sugarloaf's restaurant.

I will hit Augusta Supercharger on the way home though. It's worth the longer route to have heat.

Reactions: rypalmer
I will hit Augusta Supercharger on the way home though. It's worth the longer route to have heat.

I was denied entry to the USA because I didn't have the paperwork for my professional photography equipment. That was to be expected. So, I am travelling north through Quebec.

Not happy to see this at Riviere Du Loup. New meaning to ICED. I will call Tesla now.

WP_20170305_08_50_20_Rich.jpg

You can back right in there! They'd probably move if they saw you trying.
What is your next charging stop? Can you make it to Drummondville from there?

I auto-piloted the first half of the drive at the speed limit. For the last 90-minutes, I drafted a truck to the extreme (within a car length) and turned off the heat. The result of which was 150km of distance at 105km/h with a fully loaded car at just 196wh/km. Made it to Drummondville with 10km range.

Four cars charging when I arrived and a constant rotation in-and-out. There were a total of seven as I was leaving. Madness!!

File 2017-03-05, 9 51 30 PM.jpg

I was denied entry to the USA because I didn't have the paperwork for my professional photography equipment. That was to be expected. So, I am travelling north through Quebec.

Thanks for the trip report. I hope someone on the Tesla Supercharger team reads it.

The lack of fast-charging in the Maritime provinces is quite sobering, it's like 2012-2013 for the rest of the continent all over again.

I understand the disclaimer under Tesla's projected Supercharger map :

The map above is a representation of the corridors we plan to enable and the timing thereof. Exact locations and timing may vary,

However, their completely removing Woodstock, NB (and not replacing it with anything within 300 km) is more than just a medium variation in location and timing. It's cutting off the head and letting the body wither.

Actually, Canada has been adamant they they want to have a coast to coast network. The project is like any other Federal-Provincial Cost Shared Projects. The Feds pay up to 50%, and it is not a grant. The proponents are free to use any cost recovery methods as they wish, if any.

Keep your eyes opened bud, all is not negative! Trust me! :)

I hope you're right. However, starting with 25 (out of 70 total ) sites in the Greater Toronto Area is odd if your ambition is coast-to-coast.

Reactions: mrElbe