Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you rather pay your home electricity by the minute ? I'd rather pay my electricity by the kWh so does my car.
Well ultimately the costs involved are not just for the power delivered. There are considerable capital costs. Someone tying up a stall trying to charge to 100% (slowly of course) might displace several other cars looking for 15 minutes each to get them to the next Supercharger. IMO there will never be one rate per kWh, it will have to vary.

Measurement Canada needs to certify devices that could kilowatts or litres of gas for accuracy.

Any measurement device that is used in a financial transaction requires approval from Measurement Canada. Example - the scale at your butcher. Each measurement device will have to meet the requirements for that category of product.

EV charging is a new category.

So first Measurement Canada had to create the requirements (accuracy among others) for EV charging and only then can the charger manufacturers submit their products for approval. The first step now seems about complete.

Post discussions about Superchargers in Ontario, Quebec, and further East here.

Older discussions about Canadian Superchargers can be found here: Canadian Superchargers
Post discussions about Superchargers in Ontario, Quebec, and further East here.

Older discussions about Canadian Superchargers can be found here: Canadian Superchargers
Ottawa/Gatineau is in desperate need of more supercharger locations. Rideau location is not convenient and 8 in Bells Corners just isn’t sufficient.

Tesla is continuing to build out the SC network nicely in Ontario. They are adding a bunch on the 400 series of highways in almost all parts of the province. But the one area with very low density is SW Ontario, specifically between Comber and London. That gap is 140km.
I travel between Kingsville (SE of Windsor on Lake Erie) and Toronto weekly, and this is a big gap.

My ageing MS 85 won't really make Comber (unless it's summer and I drive slowly), and London is *really* busy now. On the weekends, there are frequently short waits. Often, the Tesla route planner will bypass London (suggesting backtracking to Woodstock!) because it's so busy. Also, Woodstock itself has seen better days (especially since it's one of the first in Canada). Frequent issues there where charging fails and/or is severely rate limited. Also, power sharing between cabinets and a lack of knowledge/understanding by owners of said power sharing.

I guess the issue is the lack of obvious spots between London and Comber to put a Supercharger location. Chatham makes sense from a distance perspective, but there is nothing along Highway 401 in that area (Chatham itself is quite far off the highway).

I travel between Kingsville (SE of Windsor on Lake Erie) and Toronto weekly, and this is a big gap.

My ageing MS 85 won't really make Comber (unless it's summer and I drive slowly), and London is *really* busy now. On the weekends, there are frequently short waits. Often, the Tesla route planner will bypass London (suggesting backtracking to Woodstock!) because it's so busy. Also, Woodstock itself has seen better days (especially since it's one of the first in Canada). Frequent issues there where charging fails and/or is severely rate limited. Also, power sharing between cabinets and a lack of knowledge/understanding by owners of said power sharing.

I guess the issue is the lack of obvious spots between London and Comber to put a Supercharger location. Chatham makes sense from a distance perspective, but there is nothing along Highway 401 in that area (Chatham itself is quite far off the highway).
ON Route makes the most sense for this stretch, but the problem is there are 4 locations. They've done it in more heavily travelled corridors though (see Indiana and Ohio Turnpikes).

Reactions: navguy12

My ageing MS 85 won't really make Comber (unless it's summer and I drive slowly), and London is *really* busy now.
I don't know why they are ignoring this stretch. After Tesla finishes a bit more construction there will be 8 supercharger locations in the 184km stretch from Port Hope to Gananoque. Surely they could throw in a couple of locations between London and Comber? Look at how sparse the red dots are in the bottom left of this map.
1675136005962.png