Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Helped a family supercharge for their first time in Grimsby today.
X75D arrived with 7% and wouldn't accept charge. Yikes!!

Took all of my force to get the charge cord to latch...i think this is the commonly reported issue with new Tesla charge port being too tight.

I advised the driver some of the top tips in cold weather ànd what the dotted yellow line means. :)

Meanwhile our 5 year old S85 was a champ in this cold. 150km on 40% of a battery...easy peasy.

By the way, 5 of us were at the Huntsville SC last night and we managed to blow the main circuit breaker (or at least that's what we thought happened). The stations were all empty and 5 cars plugged in all within a minute of eachother. We plugged in together at other places with no issues but this time it forced us to hobble back to the Parry Sound SC and reroute home. I hope it is up by now (the next morning).

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
By the way, I checked my map and it is STILL offline...

By the way, 5 of us were at the Huntsville SC last night and we managed to blow the main circuit breaker (or at least that's what we thought happened). The stations were all empty and 5 cars plugged in all within a minute of eachother. We plugged in together at other places with no issues but this time it forced us to hobble back to the Parry Sound SC and reroute home. I hope it is up by now (the next morning).

• Informative
Reactions: MarcoRP

Curious to know the root cause here. It is possible that the local electric utility fused the primary supply to the utility transformer incorrectly and it blew. However, utilities will generally respond in minutes to an outage on their side of the demarcation point. Since the station still seems to be out, it is likely a failure on the Tesla side.

Curious to know the root cause here. It is possible that the local electric utility fused the primary supply to the utility transformer incorrectly and it blew. However, utilities will generally respond in minutes to an outage on their side of the demarcation point. Since the station still seems to be out, it is likely a failure on the Tesla side.

All I can say is that all of us were on different pairs of chargers (for the most part) and all of us were shut down. No smoke, no spark or loud bang - just a thunk and that was it.

All I can say is that all of us were on different pairs of chargers (for the most part) and all of us were shut down. No smoke, no spark or loud bang - just a thunk and that was it.

These Supercharger stations are really nothing more than any other commercial service of similar size. On the utility side, there will be a 3-phase primary supply (fused at the point were they drop down the pole), a utility owned transformer and secondary lines running to the customer's (Tesla's) service panel. This panel will contain it's own fusing (just like the main breaker in your home) along with the utility metering equipment. Tesla Superchargers operate at 277/480 volts which is not generally used in Canada. Canadian utilities will (likely) supply power at 347/600 volts and Tesla uses a dry-type transformer to step down to 480 volts.These dry type transformers are not required at US sites where they can get 277/480 volts straight from the utility. So... it could have been the utility primary fuse, Tesla's secondary main breaker, a problem with the dry-type transformer or any of a number of other failure points. We'll probably never know.