Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The hardware for the Barrie supercharger is sitting behind the Toronto East Service Centre.

Good news! Have you heard anything further about the switch-on date? I stopped by the supposed site (near Target) a couple of weeks ago and while there's a lot of construction action in general, there was certainly nothing that screamed "supercharger under construction".

Good news! Have you heard anything further about the switch-on date? I stopped by the supposed site (near Target) a couple of weeks ago and while there's a lot of construction action in general, there was certainly nothing that screamed "supercharger under construction".

Yeah, I drove all through there a couple of weeks ago myself. No obvious signs, but lots of potentially good spots in there.

I wouldn't worry about it...my wife and I have travelled from Grimsby to Smith's Falls a few times in the past two years...no negative incidents(save the dirty, muddy, friggin construction on HWY #15!!!) to report...

I'm planning to go to Toronto on the long weekend, and it seems like Best Western is my destiny. Kingston is not even on Supercharge.info... This is the first time I feel a limitation driving a Tesla.

I'm planning to go to Toronto on the long weekend, and it seems like Best Western is my destiny. Kingston is not even on Supercharge.info... This is the first time I feel a limitation driving a Tesla.

We're doing the same trip on the long weekend. I've made the trip twice to Toronto without stopping taking highway 7 to the Best Western in Markham. This time we'll be heading to the Lawrence St Super Charger.

If you don't know, then it's going to be 30A. Tortoises will be passing you.

Welcome to my life, charging in Victoria. :) 6 kW charger, 85 kWh battery...

Fortunately 400 km range is more than enough to handle anything before an all-night charge brings the battery back up to 90% charge. Same-day long distance travel on the island is not really feasible, but long distance travel anywhere else will, shortly, be no problem.

Back on topic: what's happening in Drummondville? It was one of the first locations identified, and we got the Really Soon Now promise many months ago, and now.... no news at all.

Last edited:
Back on topic: what's happening in Drummondville?

The City issued a permit about three weeks ago, but discussions with Hydro-Quebec remained. Then, word was that just a few details needed to be ironed out with the local contractor and that ground would be broken between September 26th and September 30th. However, construction hasn't begun. There are multiple observers that check the site regularly, so expect a post shortly after there's finally activity.

I've had to go back and forth from Kanata to Hamilton twice in the last few weeks. I've made it, without stopping to charge, to the Lawrence Ave. Supercharger in Toronto and back each time. The first time, I took Hwy 7 to Hwy 37 to the 401 in Belleville so that I could pass by Cobourg and charge up at the Best Western there if need be. I had enough buffer and kept going. The second time I took Hwy 7 to Peterborough and the 115/35 to the 401 in Newcastle. This route is a bit shorter and gave me more buffer (about 40 km). There is also a Best Western off the 401 in Scarborough with a charger or chargers at some of the Go stations off the 401 if you run into trouble. I typically drove at 90-95 km/hr on the 7 using cruise control and drafted behind a truck doing about 100-105 on the 115/401. I found that it is best to let a truck catch up to you than to try to catch up with a truck. Also I drafted behind a bus doing 120-125 but that used up too much buffer. It's much easier to lose buffer than to get it back!

An issue with the Lawrence Avenue Supercharger is that it is not in the best area if it is anywhere near rush-hour. I tried to get there as far way from rush hour as possible.The charging there is great and they are friendly at the service centre.

Heading out again tomorrow morning.

Just be careful not to assume you can do that in freezing conditions. The range starts to drop noticeably a few degrees above zero.

Hey Doug - What do you attribute this to? I thought that as long as the battery is warm (say you start with car pre-heated in garage), and the battery reaction is slightly exothermic, the big difference would be heater use. But even if you use 2kW it seems like the heater is only about a 10% hit. Am I missing something? I'm about to begin my first Tesla winter. Living up in the country now I will face more snow/cold than when I was in Toronto.

The most important factor is wind resistance. At lower temperatures the air density goes up quite a bit, and at high speeds the drag is very sensitive to density and speed. On the bright side, it makes drafting trucks that much more effective (safe distance please!).

There is also an impact from increased rolling resistance of the tires. I am not sure how big an effect that is. I once drove on a cold day with the A048 sticky tires on my Roadster... they were bricks and it really hurt the range. Probably not nearly as bad for normal winter tires.