Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Editorial: Why it is safer to have creep mode ON rather than OFF.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Vehicle hold function, which can now be engaged without a hill, with a more "assertive" press on a brake pedal, means that you can be in creep, or not in creep, when the car is stopped, in drive, and feet nowhere near pedals.

With creep on, the behavior of "what happens when I take my foot off the brake" is different depending on whether the vehicle hold is engaged or not. With creep off, the behavior is consistent.

In a Tesla, with the latest software, if you're stopped, and your feet are off the brake, it does not mean you're in park, whether you have creep on or off. Assuming you were disoriented for less than 10 minutes, that is.

I'll claim that because of that, in a Tesla with the current software, creep off is safer, because the result of removing the foot off the brake is always consistent - the car doesn't move (on flat ground.)

Reactions: ABC2D and newtman
Duplex, with creep off, the car does not move unless the accelerator is pressed, or if the car on a slope without brakes applied. Not only does the car not move spontaneously (like an ice car), but the regen actually creates a decelerating force

In a Tesla, with the latest software, if you're stopped, and your feet are off the brake, it does not mean you're in park, whether you have creep on or off. Assuming you were disoriented for less than 10 minutes, that is.

The brake hold feature takes an extra deep push of the brake pedal to engage. But it's a valid point for those who use the feature (I do myself). I would still argue that for the new Tesla driver (not familiar with brake hold) accustomed to ICE cars with automatic transmissions, in parking lot situations one could be distracted by any number of things (tight parking space, cross traffic, kids screaming, falcon wing door hijinks) such that when you're stopped you could forget what gear you are in.

The brake hold feature takes an extra deep push of the brake pedal to engage. But it's a valid point for those who use the feature (I do myself). I would still argue that for the new Tesla driver (not familiar with brake hold) accustomed to ICE cars with automatic transmissions, in parking lot situations one could be distracted by any number of things (tight parking space, cross traffic, kids screaming, falcon wing door hijinks) such that when you're stopped you could forget what gear you are in.
Is this what the Park Assist feature is for? So you don't have to think...

You should *always* have your foot on the brake when stopped (e.g. at a red traffic light). If you were to get rear-ended while waiting, you would get pushed into the cross-traffic, not to mention having a greater chance of whiplash. Full disclosure: I currently drive a stick.

I wonder what would happen if you get rear ended with hill hold on and your foot is not on the brake? I would hope the brakes would remain engaged.

You should *always* have your foot on the brake when stopped (e.g. at a red traffic light). If you were to get rear-ended while waiting, you would get pushed into the cross-traffic, not to mention having a greater chance of whiplash. Full disclosure: I currently drive a stick.
Keep driving that stick... it works for you now and you won't have to change anything.

I find creep very useful in low speed manuvers such as parking, stop and go traffic etc. It allows me to control the car using just the brake pedal. Much like regen let's me do the same with the throttle pedal.

Personally i think many of the unintended acceleration events are caused by people doing low speed Maneuvers without creep engaged. Most are used to having your foot on the brake pedal for years during such manuvers in cars with automatic transmissions and when you reach the limit of the movement you want you push harder on the brake pedal... Well if your foot is on the accelerator pedal habitually you may push it to stop the car's movement during low speed Maneuvers and inadvertently accelerate.

It's a matter of decades of muscle memory and expected behavior of vehicular movements with control inputs.

Just learn to use the features your car has, exactly as you would any piece of technology.
And if it is too complex for you, then get something simpler.

Yes, for experienced Tesla drivers. But for new Tesla owners who have never driven electric and/or have only driven automatic transmission ICE cars, it's probably safer that they start with creep mode on. Creep mode off, instant electric torque, lack of engine revving, and off center CID (Model 3) is an accident waiting to happen in parking lot panic situations where the primitive portions of the brain are in control.

Reactions: P85_DA
Yes, for experienced Tesla drivers. But for new Tesla owners who have never driven electric and/or have only driven automatic transmission ICE cars, it's probably safer that they start with creep mode on.

I drove automatic ICE cars for almost 40 years before getting my S. Couple of manuals, but mostly autos.I had Creep on for about 5 minutes until I realized it was just a proxy to emulate an unintended consequence of a torque converter with an ICE engine. Way better driving experience with it off. I have never once ever come close to "pressing down on the wrong pedal" and question the driving abilities of those who claim otherwise. Seriously. There is a big difference between the "go" and "stop" pedals.

I have never once ever come close to "pressing down on the wrong pedal" and question the driving abilities of those who claim otherwise. Seriously. There is a big difference between the "go" and "stop" pedals.

Agreed, creep isn’t for you. :)

But the almost monthly “Tesla unintended acceleration” posts here, on Reddit, and on Facebook suggest there is a population of Tesla drivers who should probably leave creep on.

Yes, for experienced Tesla drivers. But for new Tesla owners who have never driven electric and/or have only driven automatic transmission ICE cars, it's probably safer that they start with creep mode on.

For me it is^pretty simple. Other people drive my cars. I am not overly protective of them, but would much rather not to have someone learn what they might not be used to on my cars.