Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Editorial: Why it is safer to have creep mode ON rather than OFF.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A handful of people have posted here that they dinged their bumpers while trying to maneuver into their garages because they moved more quickly than expected when the accelerator was touched. Creep would have helped with that.

Yes, I guess that's one reason why some people might prefer creep on. But I don't personally find it a problem as it's so easy to modulate the accelerator. I reverse very close to the back wall of our garage every day with no issue at all. But as I mentioned mine creeps in reverse if I set it moving anyway, so I'm usually on the brake at the end. Now if all my daily driving was in the garage I'd probably switch creep on, but for everything else creep off is so much more convenient. I'd hate to go back to an ICE auto for that reason alone!

I understand folks are used to it and therefore prefer it, but I think claiming it's a safety enhancement is a stretch.

I agree. It sounds like saying someone turned the wheel left when they meant to turn right, panicked and turned the wheel further to the left resulting in a crash. I don't understand how anybody can confuse two separate and distinct pedals any more than they could get confused about what happens when you turn the wheel to the left vs. the right.

A handful of people have posted here that they dinged their bumpers while trying to maneuver into their garages because they moved more quickly than expected when the accelerator was touched. Creep would have helped with that.

Opposite for me. My garage is so tight that I keep a big piece of cardboard on the back wall and slowly drive forward until I see the cardboard wiggle as I nudge it to know I'm in far enough and my garage door will close behind me. With my old ICE, I used to smack that thing pretty hard on occasion because the car would lurch when I let off the brake. With creep off, I can modulate the movement of the car so incredibly precisely with the accelerator pedal that I park perfectly every time just giving my cardboard a little tickle.

For me driving my Model S with creep mode off prepared me well for driving my Bolt in the "L" drive position. For those that do not know the L drive position on a Bolt allows you to drive with just the accelerator pedal. The physical brake is not needed to bring the car to a complete stop, nor is it needed to keep the car stationary once stopped. The regen in the Bolt stops the car much faster than it does in my Model S. I do use the physical brake when stopped though, because I want the cars behind me to know that I am stopped.

Opposite for me. My garage is so tight that I keep a big piece of cardboard on the back wall and slowly drive forward until I see the cardboard wiggle as I nudge it to know I'm in far enough and my garage door will close behind me. With my old ICE, I used to smack that thing pretty hard on occasion because the car would lurch when I let off the brake. With creep off, I can modulate the movement of the car so incredibly precisely with the accelerator pedal that I park perfectly every time just giving my cardboard a little tickle.
This (I actually would have scratched or damaged a mirror on at least two separate occasions if creep had been on), and this:
Creep is a personal preference. It's ok to be be Pro-Creep or Anti-Creep. All are welcome here! But in all seriousness, let's move on. My original post is from over two years ago!
(I was surprised to see two pages of recent responses after seeing the age of the original post, but I guess I shouldn't be based on past performance in this particular forum).

I tested both recently, I like creep on better when parking or leaving from parking, either garage or parking lot, but I like creep off better at the traffic light or stop and go traffic, on free way cruising, it has no effect of course. For now, I turn it on before entering my garage and off after backing up out of the garage. The trouble is I can only change in P, it would be more convenient if I can change it when driving.

Bump ..keep this thread alive !!:eek:

Lol, since we’re keeping this thread alive, how about some love from the pro-creep folks on my original post? I’m getting hammered with dislikes. ;)

Just to reintegrate my point... With creep OFF, in the parking lot setting (flat surface, no incline, low speeds of <5mph, multiple transitions between stop, drive, and reverse) if the car is not moving it could be in park, drive, neutral, or reverse. I think this statement is factual. Obviously one could look at the screen to see what gear the car is in, but my point is that in parking lot panic situations, when the primitive portions of the brain are in control, there are scenarios where one might become distracted enough to not see or misinterpet the screen. As a result, in rare extreme situations one might inadvertently accelerate in the wrong direction, or unintentionally accelerate if there is also a pedal misapplication*. A gas car has the “benefit” of the engine revving and a slightly delay before significant acceleration. But a silent Tesla with instant massive torque is much less forgiving. This risk is increased further in Model 3 since the center instrument display is off center.

I’m NOT saying creep is better in all other situations. Of course, above creep speeds the creep setting has zero affect. On any incline or with brake hold, the creep setting doesn’t matter either. And I’d agree that even in the parking lot situation, an experienced Tesla driver could be just as safe with creep on or off.

Is it a dumb argument to leave a car in creep just because of one scenario? Yeah, maybe. I’ve read all the anti-creep replies on this and other threads, and I’d say they’re reasonable. But almost all of the unintended acceleration events happen in parking lot situations. So all I’m suggesting is that inexperienced Tesla drivers start with creep on or at least be aware of the unintended acceleration events in parking lots and be extra vigilant as they learn the quirks of driving a Tesla.

Again, this is opinion EXCEPT for my first statement that “With creep OFF, in the parking lot setting (flat surface, no incline, low speeds of <5mph, multiple transitions between stop, drive, and reverse) if the car is not moving it could be in park, drive, neutral, or reverse.” That’s the basis for my original post, that in one particular setting, the car creeping forward confirms it’s in drive and not in park, neutral, or reverse (again... flat surface, no incline), forces the driver to “ride the brake pedal” and this could reduce the risk of unintended acceleration.

*I’d also suggest pedal misapplication is more common than one might think. If your body is shifted/rotated slightly due to shoulder checking, or if the seat isn’t adjusted to your profile, and/or (as documented in some really early threads in this forum) the brake and accelerator pedals are closer together than they should be, the risk of pedal misapplication is higher.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anzir
Just to reintegrate my point... With creep OFF, in the parking lot setting (flat surface, no incline, low speeds of <5mph, multiple transitions between stop, drive, and reverse) if the car is not moving it could be in park, drive, neutral, or reverse. I think this statement is factual.

Beyond that fact, you are just speculating about how people might get confused with their 2 pedals. Regardless of creep on or off, if you get confused about which pedal you are pressing then you will get into trouble pretty quickly! At the end of the day people will choose the option that they personally prefer and there are situations where either one could potentially cause an issue. Creep off is not inherently any more or less dangerous IMO. When I'm manoevring I instinctively select the appropriate gear, I don't sit there wondering what gear it might be in! If I'm in a tight spot very close to something I glance at the dash before moving off too, just to be sure it's in the right gear. It's not that difficult. If you have a particularly "dead" foot, then maybe creep is the better option. But for those who can handle it, creep off makes driving more convenient when stopped at lights etc.

To creep or not to creep is definitely a personal choice. I prefer creep on as I find it easier for me to maneuver from a dead stop at very slow speeds. Creep is safer for those who haven't developed the soft touch on the accelerator pedal - like me. Fun discussion :)

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
For people who are familiar with Tesla, either way should be fine. For me, I just feel a little easier to turn creep on in a tight garage so that I can use brake only to control the slow movement. If I turn creep off, I may need to feather the acceleration pedal then switch to brake, I may have to go back and forth more than once.

For people who are not familiar with Tesla, I would definitely turn creep on before letting them drive my Tesla. If I turn creep off, when they let go of the brake, the car is not moving, then they will step on the acceleration to move forward, then let it go and find the car brakes, but when they realize the car may not come to full stop, they may panic and to try to step on brake, but may forget their foot is on the acceleration (because the car was just braking, they may think their foot is on brake) ... the few accidents that Tesla was driven to the kitchen, the Gym, Starbucks, etc. may be related to that scenario (i.e. the driver may not be familiar with Tesla)...

Again, as I mentioned earlier, I really like creep off when driving but prefer it on when parking. Mabye there should be a mode to auto switch (maybe based on GPS location).

Last edited:
For people who are familiar with Tesla, either way should be fine. For me, I just feel a little easier to turn creep on in a tight garage so that I can use brake only to control the slow movement. If I turn creep off, I may need to feather the acceleration pedal then switch to brake, I may have to go back and forth more than once.

For people who are not familiar with Tesla, I would definitely turn creep on before letting them drive my Tesla. If I turn creep off, when they let go of the brake, the car is not moving, then they will step on the acceleration to move forward, then let it go and find the car brakes, but when they realize the car may not come to full stop, they may panic and to try to step on brake, but may forget their foot is on the acceleration (because the car was just braking, they may think their foot is on brake) ... the few accidents that Tesla was driven to the kitchen, the Gym, Starbucks, etc. may be related to that scenario (i.e. the driver may not be familiar with Tesla)...

Again, as I mentioned earlier, I really like creep off when driving but prefer it on when parking. Mabye there should be a mode to auto switch (maybe based on GPS location).

I'd love to have this option too, as I'm in the same boat. My parking is extremely tight, I have about a total of 3 spare inches front-to-back in my garage (I back in, so I end up going fairly far past where the car tells me to stop). That said, being lazy and not turning creep on when I go to park means I've gotten pretty used to it. I've been pretty impressed with the amount of finesse I'm able to get out of the accelerator - some other high-powered cars I've driven lurch when you even think of tapping the pedal.