Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Edmunds Model S Long-Term Test

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon re-tweeted this tweet from Dan Edmunds: (I don't think there will be any public response to the screen problem, only an internal examination of what went wrong with this specific screen.)

Federal Law: I know stupid as this sounds a manufacturer must examine the failed part determine 1) Why it failed 2) How it failed and 3) What you are going to do to prevent this from happening again. I am part of an investigation determination group. The Government will send in a person to assure you do this also. As I said stupid laws.

Federal Law: I know stupid as this sounds a manufacturer must examine the failed part determine 1) Why it failed 2) How it failed and 3) What you are going to do to prevent this from happening again. I am part of an investigation determination group. The Government will send in a person to assure you do this also. As I said stupid laws.

As I said, I'm expecting them to examine this (internally). Unless the law also applies to light bulbs, it doesn't seem that stupid. ;)

Surely government oversight like that would apply only to safety issues. The company itself would want to do all that stuff anyway, as a matter of course. It's in their best interest not to have their stuff failing in the field. Warranty costs, reputation, etc...

Headlights work assuming they were programmed to go on automatically. I also briefly lost my screen while driving, but other than no screen, not a problem. A reboot got my screen going and it has not been a problem since.

Great. So even in broad daylight in summer my headlights would be on all the time? What about conserving battery energy?
Or does Auto headlights in the Model S mean they switch on only when it gets dark? That of course would be ok.

Auto means they switch on when it gets dark.

Lights take a minuscule amount of power. The only things that matter for range are your speed and HVAC.

Lights take a minuscule amount of power. The only things that matter for range are your speed and HVAC.

Then that is quite different from an ICE I suppose. Because the "Lichtmaschine" (I don't know how to translate that - it's the device in an ICE that is attached to the engine mechanically to generate electricity for lights et. al.) is a significant factor in fuel economy. Hence I thought lights contribute quite a lot to the energy consumption, especially Halogen in contrast to HID's or, even better, LED's.

Then that is quite different from an ICE I suppose. Because the "Lichtmaschine" (I don't know how to translate that - it's the device in an ICE that is attached to the engine mechanically to generate electricity for lights et. al.) is a significant factor in fuel economy. Hence I thought lights contribute quite a lot to the energy consumption, especially Halogen in contrast to HID's or, even better, LED's.

It's not that the lights in an EV take less power, it's that the battery is 100X bigger. It might take a couple of dozen watts to run the lights, but it takes 20,000 watts to move the car down the highway. So the power draw of the lights is inconsequential in an EV.

Also, albeit a smaller factor: the alternator (aka Lichtmaschine) causes friction losses. So while the lights still use the same amount of power, the overall power consumed by the lights in an EV is somewhat smaller than the power lost to both the lights and alternator in an ICE.

Not sure if we have separate threads for each story they do, but here is the most recent -

New Touchscreen Bug Surfaces - 2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

I think his stance on reboots in pretty hilarious actually. I'm all for minimizing software bugs, but expecting both perfection and advanced computing features while being bug free seems a bit unrealistic.

Make sure you click on the new updates link and check out the other posts if you are interested.

I thought Edmunds response to the previous touchscreen hardware failure to be pretty darn patient and reasonable. I do think car manufacturers should be held to a higher standard on software reliability than the PC world, but this Edmunds update came across as rather techno-phobic and petulant.

Lights are only a small fraction of electrical load on the alternator. The fuel pump, fuel injectors, HVAC fan, radiator fan(s), heated seats, 100 or so microprocessors, and 12v battery charging efficiencies add up to much more. Modern cars have smart charging of the 12 v battery, which reduces energy lost to heat and makes a significant reduction in energy consumption.

GSP

- - - Updated - - -

Edmunds review about the rear camera bug seems right on the money to me.

All software has bugs, but for Automobiles the bugs have to be inconsequential and extremely hard to notice.

GSP

I thought Edmunds response to the previous touchscreen hardware failure to be pretty darn patient and reasonable. I do think car manufacturers should be held to a higher standard on software reliability than the PC world, but this Edmunds update came across as rather techno-phobic and petulant.

One thing to keep in mind about the Edmunds long-term reviews is that many different Edmunds reporters and editors drive the vehicles and contribute blog posts about their experiences. One person may be tolerant of a display failure, while another may not be so happy.

Always check to see who is writing the post!