Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ehanced AP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
JBenson. I'm with you. Unacceptable. No one would put up with this kind of nonsense except from this company. Most consumers give Tesla a pass when it comes to these kinds of delays but I guarantee you that in a more competitive market this would not be tolerated.

Thanks, any idea why the delay? I thought eAP exsits now on older models.

New hardware shares almost nothing in common with the old hardware. It took almost a year for "unenhanced" AP 1.0 capabilities to get to anything similar to today's state. Brand new hardware having an inkling of AP abilities after 2 months seems pretty reasonable -- IMO the originally promised schedule was overly optimistic

Would you rather have AP that does not work perfectly and puts you and your family at risk?

No, I would not. I just do not like it that Tesla said so authoritatively next to the $5000 checkbox that "enhanced autopilot would be rolled out in December 2016" and it turns out not materializing. Tesla's ordering page STILL says:

Tesla's Enhanced Autopilot software is expected to complete validation and be rolled out to your car via an over-the-air update in December 2016, subject to regulatory approval.

It does not say anything about a half-baked 35mph single-lane version of Autosteer arriving on Dec 31 to a couple of cars.

I'm sorry, but as much as I am ready to buy an EAP/FSD capable Tesla in a heartbeat and as satisfied as I am with my AP 1.0 Tesla, I think these kinds of advertising promises are flat out misleading. It sure seems like customers were led to pay ahead for a feature that didn't exist and rolls out over the course of an indeterminate timeline.

Of course, most of us who've been following Tesla for a while know to take the official timelines with a grain of salt. But remember that a lot of folks are newcomers who are taking an optimistic reading of the order sheet.

Reactions: krouebi
To be fair, it does say "expected". That's not "flat out misleading". I'm not even sure it's misleading but I do agree it's very poor marketing.

I do agree that its roll out is poorly managed, and Tesla's communications are even worse but it was an optional purchase with a clear disclosure. Disappointing, absolutely.

Upon reflection, I do agree with you guys and my initial wording was harsh. I didn't mean to imply it was illegal or a dirty business practice, I was mainly trying to empathize with those who purchased the features based off an optimistic reading of Tesla's wordings.

I do think, though, in general this business practice walks a fine line. The idea of paying ahead for a feature that doesn't exist yet, and only be given a general non-legally-binding estimate of when it's supposed to be out.... and moreso, having it be nonrefundable and also discounting the pay-ahead option...... All of that can lead to folks feeling like they got ripped off, especially if they are on a 2 year lease or some other inherently time-limited financing agreement where now they feel like they may not have the feature for a substantial period of time.

I feel like it would've been better to at least have more accurate communications, or perhaps a more cautious wording of the feature (e.g. explicitly say that the rollout will be feature-by-feature, not spend 3 paragraphs describing an absolutely amazing utopia of AutoSteer, auto lane change, enhanced blind spot detection, etc etc etc and then fall back on the two words "expected to" to explain what 2.50.185 was...)

But of course, that would lead to lost sales, and that's probably why I'm not a marketing exec :D

No, this was a flat out lie on Tesla's part. No one has ever sat in a Tesla with fully working EAP. That's because it doesn't exist yet. Tesla was hoping the software would be ready by last year, but in truth they still haven't even figured it out yet. The lack of non-scripted videos should have been my first red flag. At least with Mercedes reporters are independently verifying Drive Pilot v3 is operational in the 2018 S-Class.

Most likely, Tesla purposefully misled us to spur Q4 sales with their phony self-driving videos and outlandish website.

There is a 1/100 chance I'm wrong about this, in which case I am thrilled since my car will have something going for it other than the EV powertrain (which is very nice but not enough to justify the price). I bought the car solely for the AP functionality (which by multiple sources was promised by December 2016). Tesla misled me to assume they had this feature working prior to announcing it for sale October 2016, with the period Oct-Dec 2016 meant for fine tuning only, not figuring out core low-level functionality.

The lack of non-scripted videos should have been my first red flag. At least with Mercedes reporters are independently verifying Drive Pilot v3 is operational in the 2018 S-Class.

I agree with most of what you're saying but I'd just like to caution you on this point. Take preproduction and journalist test drives of this stuff with a huuuuge grain of salt. I've worked in this industry before and academically researched self-driving cars before it was cool... It is actually surprisingly easy to make this stuff look like it's working, even to a journalist allowed to take the wheel, but still have it be nowhere near ready for real-world deployment. Or for the functionality to be severely reduced by the time it gets out the door.

Drive Pilot v2 in the 2017 E Class got some incredible media coverage and media demos too, but unfortunately by the time it came out and a production sample was tested, it turned out to be something entirely different. Same with Audi's Piloted Driving A7 concept vs the Audi Traffic Jam Assist / Pilot functionality that actually debuted on the A4/Q7.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: oktane and Bilen
JBenson. I'm with you. Unacceptable. No one would put up with this kind of nonsense except from this company. Most consumers give Tesla a pass when it comes to these kinds of delays but I guarantee you that in a more competitive market this would not be tolerated.

Does anyone really care about the truth anymore?

To me 2016 was a year in which a critical mass of people simply stopped caring about the Truth.

You want to have competition, but Tesla had pre-orders for somewhere around 400K Model 3's where customers don't even know what the interior is going to look like. They deposited money purely on a hype with no idea when they'll actually get it.

If that wasn't bad enough half the country voted for a guy that claimed Mexico would pay for a wall. Sure we're not supposed to talk politics in here, but it's indicative of what's going on culturally where no one thinks critically about whether a given promise could possibly be true.

As a collective we've all lost our minds.

Who even cares if Tesla is late by 6 months on EAP when they're selling a FSD package in a time in which NO ONE has gotten a self driving car to work?

They deposited money purely on a hype...

Maybe just a little overboard? I did not deposit money "purely on hype" for my Model 3 reservation. I made it after driving a vehicle made by the same company for over two years at the time I put my deposit down. Driving that vehicle has also made it very difficult for me to imagine ever buying another ICE vehicle. A monster battery giga factory is being built in the desert to change the way we transport ourselves and store energy. The Model S outsells Mercedes, BMW, Audi, And Porsche In US, all while creating jobs in America (and this is coming from a Canadian). If someone told you just a few short years ago an American company would be doing this the so-called experts would call you nuts.

But if that's what you call "hype" then please Tesla keep it coming.

Oh, and I am forever indebted to all those who put deposits down on my vehicle before one was available for sale -- and waited years to get one. If they didn't do that, I likely wouldn't be driving my vehicle today, or posting on this forum, and reading about everyone complaining how bad Tesla is (not that they haven't earned some criticism but what surprises me is when people don't except a company to oversell its products, promise things sooner than reasonably doable, etc.).

Maybe just a little overboard? I did not deposit money "purely on hype" for my Model 3 reservation. I made it after driving a vehicle made by the same company for over two years at the time I put my deposit down. Driving that vehicle has also made it very difficult for me to imagine ever buying another ICE vehicle. A monster battery giga factory is being built in the desert to change the way we transport ourselves and store energy. The Model S outsells Mercedes, BMW, Audi, And Porsche In US, all while creating jobs in America (and this is coming from a Canadian). If someone told you just a few short years ago an American company would be doing this the so-called experts would call you nuts.

But if that's what you call "hype" then please Tesla keep it coming.

Oh, and I am forever indebted to all those who put deposits down on my vehicle before one was available for sale -- and waited years to get one. If they didn't do that, I likely wouldn't be driving my vehicle today, or posting on this forum, and reading about everyone complaining how bad Tesla is (not that they haven't earned some criticism but what surprises me is when people don't except a company to oversell its products, promise things sooner than reasonably doable, etc.).

I'm not saying that a lot of people didn't have completely legitimate reasons for putting a deposit down. People like yourself that are well grasped at what Tesla time means, and know exactly what you're getting yourself into. If they're late you likely won't complain too hard because you had to expect it.

But, I think there were also a lot of people who have know idea what they got themselves in for. Who paid the deposit with expectations far from reality.

It simply feels like things in todays world lack grounding in reality.

Its been 3 weeks since I received my S 90D with the Enhanced autopilot option (aka AP2). There are some very critical and important features to be included in AP2: collision avoidance, lane assist, etc. For me these are just as important if not more important than the auto pilot feature. From the stream of posts, it appears Tesla may not deliver AP2 anytime soon with all the features promised. Extremely disappointing and very poor execution. Paying for an option to include critical driving features not yet operationally available is a great revenue driver but poor customer relations. I guess they don't care. Hopefully their accountants will delay revenue recognition in their P&L until they deliver.
Perhaps if there is a financial penalty for every day Tesla does not provide AP2 there might be some quick resolution.