Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eight Rules of EV Charging Etiquette By Plug in Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
#1 and 6 and 7 are exclusive.

Add. Leave phone number on dash for someone to call you if necessary

#2 Funny notes OK :biggrin:

#5 Who are you asking?

#8 State specific Actions..... The cars are designed to be safe. What specific actions are you proposing?

I'm conflicted on no.3. Right now, there are relatively few EVs on the road, and most MS owners don't need to charge outside the home much at all. So, if we only charge when needed, we create the appearance of little demand, leading to less infastructure and helping to keep demand in check. I like to plug in when I stop for a bit and see an available charger. Not only does it cast a vote for more chargers, but the other people in the area see a car using the plug and the spot (rather than a vacant space). FWIW, roughly half of my conversations about the car occur when they see me plugging or unplugging.

#8 State specific Actions..... The cars are designed to be safe. What specific actions are you proposing?

Following the link to plugincars.com yields:

8 Safety First

Practice safe charging. The means properly managing the cord. Neatly wind the cord on its holder, and tuck it in so people will not trip on any excess length, or drive over it.

I'm conflicted on no.3. Right now, there are relatively few EVs on the road, and most MS owners don't need to charge outside the home much at all. So, if we only charge when needed, we create the appearance of little demand, leading to less infastructure and helping to keep demand in check. I like to plug in when I stop for a bit and see an available charger. Not only does it cast a vote for more chargers, but the other people in the area see a car using the plug and the spot (rather than a vacant space). FWIW, roughly half of my conversations about the car occur when they see me plugging or unplugging.

I kind of agree with this. In general, it seems to me that there are a lot of unused spots. But I heard from a person who does monitor a set of four stations that the use has gone up dramatically since the Model S is available. She knew that by looking at the records.

- - - Updated - - -

#1 and 6 and 7 are exclusive.

Add. Leave phone number on dash for someone to call you if necessary

#2 Funny notes OK :biggrin:

#5 Who are you asking?

I think the list needs a little more editing.

Everything is way too situation dependent. My grocery store installed two Blink stations. I don't ever NEED to charge, but no one else does charge there so I often do, just to support the infrastructure and hope that if it gets used, more stores will be want chargers. I don't see this as wrong, especially when neither station is in use.

Reactions: SSedan
Everything is way too situation dependent. My grocery store installed two Blink stations. I don't ever NEED to charge, but no one else does charge there so I often do, just to support the infrastructure and hope that if it gets used, more stores will be want chargers. I don't see this as wrong, especially when neither station is in use.
Also Blink isn't free and I often feel like 30A isn't worth my effort (position car, etc.), time (slow charging rate), or money (value proposition based on hourly rates).

Any thoughts on this list? http://www.plugincars.com/eight-rules-electric-vehicle-etiquette-127513.html?mkt_tok=3RkMMJWWfF9wsRonvqjLZKXonjHpfsX66u4sWLHr08Yy0EZ5VunJEUWy2YEJSNQ/cOedCQkZHblFnVwPQ62iRaMNo6wN

1. Spots for EVs
  2. No Nasty Notes
  3. Charge Only When Necessary
  4. Charge Up and Move On
  5. It's Okay to Ask for a Charge
  6. Don't unplug hybrids
  7. Except When Plug-in Hybrid is Done Charging
  8. Safety First

Updated 5 years later:

“The EV Guidelines”

www.EVguidelines.org

47B1D159-AE2D-4212-A204-E52147B9D3A8.png

I think this is a "bit too much"

I never leave a note with contact info. I don't leave the car in spots when not charging...

Never "check in" to an app either. I could imagine doing so perhaps for a very remote charger, but other than that no.
While I wouldn't probably leave a number at a generic site, this is common etiquette, especially at work sites. No need to hog a charger all day, if someone needs it.
Checking in with an app at non-Tesla sites is advantageous, as it let others know if the site is working.

It is interesting to see how the Tesla and others groups have created different recommendations for being nice. Basically that means when a Tesla uses a non-Tesla site, they need to be aware of the different sets of rules