Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elaborate scam on cars.com (and other sites)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure where to put this on, but since there are a lot of people on this forum looking to buy a used Tesla I thought this would be the most effective.

Recently, I saw an ad for a P85D from a private seller on cars.com (now removed). It was for $40,000, which is a good price, so I sent an inquiry. I received an email from a "Vince Lapinski":

"Hi,

The Tesla is still for sale. It has 61,240 miles, clean title owned outright. The price is $40,000. It has been recently inspected and rated in perfect condition. I have attached both the Autocheck report and the Inspection report. I am looking to sell it fast as I need the money for another investment. It comes with all the books, maintenance records, keys, and title signed by me.
I got a new job in Canada as a petroleum engineer for Suncor. Because of me being here, I hired a company in the US that will take care of the entire process in my absence, i gave them full power of attorney on this sale, so we can do this without me being present.

Let me know if you are still interested and here are some more photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/qMRtHfZmN79AQFj37

Regards,
Vince Lapinski
+1 226-242-5011"

Dubious, but the photos he sent, the inspection report & Carfax all matched so I asked which company he hired to take care of the sale for him. I had also asked about the battery status earlier. His answer:

"The car gets around 245 miles @ 100% and 221 miles @ 90% charge. I have the car stored with Autobytel in NY Autobytel | New Car Prices, Used Cars for Sale, Auto Prices, Car Pictures and Car Reviews It can be shipped anywhere in the US, I will cover the shipping costs.
If you want to proceed, you can go and pick it up from their warehouse, or you can submit an offer on Autobytel website, they will contact you with all the information necessary to complete the transaction and secure the funds. Once the payment has been made, they will start the shipping process and deliver the car in 2-3 business days. You will have 5 days to inspect it, test it and check if the car is exactly as described. At the end of the inspection period, you will be able to accept or reject the car based on your impression.

You can check the details by going here: Check a Reference Number | Autobytel using the reference number: TW2BD51E4F

If you want to submit an offer, go to: Set Up A New Transaction | Autobytel using the same reference number: TW2BD51E4F

Regards,
Bryan Larrison
+1 226-242-5011"

His name changed from Vince to Bryan, and the deal is very good (cheap car, no shipping fee, grace period), so that's already super dubious. But the website works, and you can check the status of the car with the code, and the car info checks out!

Of course the website has bad grammar and is full of errors. It's also easy to miss that the URL is "autobytelonline.com" and not "autobytel.com" (which is a reputed car site).

Anyway, I'm not sure how this would have proceeded, but obviously I was going to get scammed. Be careful!

(One more thing - when I wanted to search for 'vince lapinski', Google autofilled to 'vince lapinski suncor'.. so they probably did this to a lot of people and they're all searching for this dude's name)

Contact autobytel Autobytel Fraud Awareness | Autobytel.com

Fraud Awareness
Internet fraud is a growing problem and websites such as autobytel.com are not immune to such problems. We have received reports that Internet scam artists are illegally using Autobytel’s name, logo and other proprietary property in connection with the operation of fraudulent websites claiming to provide automotive escrow services offered by Autobytel. This scam involves the purported sale of vehicles that the perpetrators of the scam do not own or have the rights to sell and that are listed for sale on third party websites not affiliated with Autobytel. Among other things, the scammers claim that Autobytel will escrow money for the purchase of a vehicle and deliver the vehicle to the purchaser.

Autobytel does not provide any vehicle escrow, warehousing or shipping or delivery services, and any website or seller of vehicles claiming that Autobytel offers such services is fraudulent.

If any purported vehicle seller suggests using an escrow service operated by or affiliated with Autobytel or directs the buyer to any website offering escrow services provided by Autobytel or any person or entity affiliated with Autobytel or that displays our name or logos or otherwise implies that the services are offered by Autobytel, do NOT send any money to that service. Please help stop this fraud by promptly reporting such communications to us and to law enforcement by taking the following steps:

Similar experience in the Washington DC area about a year ago. Initial contact was normal except the car in the photos didn't match the description quite right - badging was P85D, but listed it for sale as an 85D. When I asked to make an appointment to see it, it magically transported itself to Texas. At that point, realized I was getting sucked into a scam so broke off contact. Sad.

Showed it all to my older kids - have to start preparing them to fight these battles themselves...

Just happened to me, when you get emails like this with no phone number is a spammer or a scammer. I googles his email and found his hone addy and cell number and called him lol

Name:
Alan Rieke

Email: [email protected]

Phone: Not provided

City, State, ZIP: OR, 97210

Comments: I'd know if the Tesla is still for sale.

You got an email for a car you're selling? Why would that be a scam?

FB36A3B1-BA7D-4452-AAD3-17273EA86CEF.jpeg

9A2C3CDC-AC1F-435D-8ECF-797BAD1E48F8.jpeg

B7542507-1FD8-4F29-BA09-A8B533B9F33C.jpeg

Just because its not a long winded email doesnt mean its not a scammer or spammer trying to get your personal info. These are from cars.com but I get twice as many from CL

Wow I think I almost got sucked into one of these ! II saw a desirable car listed online. The guy said he took a job in Canada as a pilot and the car was at a warehouse in Michigan. And he left the keys and title with an agent who could transact business for him. I never got as far as talking money but what is the next step if you want the car? Do they get you to wire money or give a credit card? I would never do that without seeing the car first. Phew.

Wow I think I almost got sucked into one of these ! II saw a desirable car listed online. The guy said he took a job in Canada as a pilot and the car was at a warehouse in Michigan. And he left the keys and title with an agent who could transact business for him. I never got as far as talking money but what is the next step if you want the car? Do they get you to wire money or give a credit card? I would never do that without seeing the car first. Phew.

I kept trying to talk to him/her to answer that last question... they didn't respond, though. The car is also no longer listed on Cars.com and the domain's offline so we will never know

You got an email for a car you're selling? Why would that be a scam?
If I am understanding the question correctly, lots of ways a person can scam you out of a car you are selling. When I sold an MDX last year, I got a couple of replies through cars.com that turned out to be scams.
I finally sold the car to someone whom I first thought was a scammer from out of state 500 miles away in Salt Lake City. He wanted to commit to buying the car just based on the information and photos I posted.

When I said I will meet him at the Sparks Police Station and then we will go to his branch bank here to verify the funds and do the transaction, I was surprised when he said he would get on a plane the next day to come buy the car and drive it back. I would have bet big bucks that he was a scammer and would never show up, but obviously I was wrong. Sure enough he should up at the police station to inspect my car and we went to US Bank to do the transaction.

A month after the sale, he sent me a photo with him, wife, and cute kids in the car going on a trip. So I guess it is sometimes hard to determine what is or is not a scam. But, I never take chances.

Not sure where to put this on, but since there are a lot of people on this forum looking to buy a used Tesla I thought this would be the most effective.

Recently, I saw an ad for a P85D from a private seller on cars.com (now removed). It was for $40,000, which is a good price, so I sent an inquiry. I received an email from a "Vince Lapinski":

Just stop posting bullshit and get a f*** job

"Hi,

The Tesla is still for sale. It has 61,240 miles, clean title owned outright. The price is $40,000. It has been recently inspected and rated in perfect condition. I have attached both the Autocheck report and the Inspection report. I am looking to sell it fast as I need the money for another investment. It comes with all the books, maintenance records, keys, and title signed by me.
I got a new job in Canada as a petroleum engineer for Suncor. Because of me being here, I hired a company in the US that will take care of the entire process in my absence, i gave them full power of attorney on this sale, so we can do this without me being present.

Let me know if you are still interested and here are some more photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/qMRtHfZmN79AQFj37

Regards,
Vince Lapinski
+1 226-242-5011"

Dubious, but the photos he sent, the inspection report & Carfax all matched so I asked which company he hired to take care of the sale for him. I had also asked about the battery status earlier. His answer:

"The car gets around 245 miles @ 100% and 221 miles @ 90% charge. I have the car stored with Autobytel in NY Autobytel | New Car Prices, Used Cars for Sale, Auto Prices, Car Pictures and Car Reviews It can be shipped anywhere in the US, I will cover the shipping costs.
If you want to proceed, you can go and pick it up from their warehouse, or you can submit an offer on Autobytel website, they will contact you with all the information necessary to complete the transaction and secure the funds. Once the payment has been made, they will start the shipping process and deliver the car in 2-3 business days. You will have 5 days to inspect it, test it and check if the car is exactly as described. At the end of the inspection period, you will be able to accept or reject the car based on your impression.

You can check the details by going here: Check a Reference Number | Autobytel using the reference number: TW2BD51E4F

If you want to submit an offer, go to: Set Up A New Transaction | Autobytel using the same reference number: TW2BD51E4F

Regards,
Bryan Larrison
+1 226-242-5011"

His name changed from Vince to Bryan, and the deal is very good (cheap car, no shipping fee, grace period), so that's already super dubious. But the website works, and you can check the status of the car with the code, and the car info checks out!

Of course the website has bad grammar and is full of errors. It's also easy to miss that the URL is "autobytelonline.com" and not "autobytel.com" (which is a reputed car site).

Anyway, I'm not sure how this would have proceeded, but obviously I was going to get scammed. Be careful!

(One more thing - when I wanted to search for 'vince lapinski', Google autofilled to 'vince lapinski suncor'.. so they probably did this to a lot of people and they're all searching for this dude's name)