Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric car chargepoints to overtake fuel pumps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope, doesn't work, I've tried that.

Wifee: "I've got to charge for TWENTY MINUTES today"

Me: "Well, when you had ICE you had to fill up every week. Detour to filling station, smelly forecourt, stand-and-pump, and then queue-to-pay. That was 10 minutes a week which is 8 hours a year. Now you road-charge twice a month for 20 minutes, that too is 8 hours a year"

Wife: "THAT'S COMPLETELY DIFFERENT"

... OK ... I skipped the bit about "Why don't you do some emails instead of doing them when you get home. Time-neutral then" as I figured I was on a slippery slope ...

Of course there is a huge spread of different usage patterns. The last time we used chargers away from home was last October returning from the south coast of England. At the moment we need to do a daily 100 mile round trip every weekday for 3 weeks, and we're 2 weeks in so 1000+ miles covered so far ... which is higher mileage than normal for us ... using the shortest range Tesla ... but all done on cheap rate home charging! I'm thinking there must be quite a significant proportion of EV owners who are going to be very light users of public chargers no matter how many are installed.

Me: "Well, when you had ICE you had to fill up every week. Detour to filling station, smelly forecourt, stand-and-pump, and then queue-to-pay. That was 10 minutes a week which is 8 hours a year. Now you road-charge twice a month for 20 minutes, that too is 8 hours a year"

... OK ... I skipped the bit about "Why don't you do some emails instead of doing them when you get home. Time-neutral then" as I figured I was on a slippery slope ...
Unfortunately it becomes uneconomic to upgrade some models beyond a certain point, best to simply replace with something that better fits with current requirements.

“Government will not be intervening in the destination charging sector” better start lobbying hotels ourselves then.

“Provide local authorities with grant funding through the On-Street Residential Chargepoint Scheme. The scheme has supported 2,038 chargepoints to date, with a further 4,539 planned for 2021-22.”
Ha ha. That will help.

“Consider amendments to the Transport Planning Practice Guidance (PPG) relating to chargepoints” good.

“Mandate that, from June 2022, private chargepoints sold in GB must be smart and meet minimum device-level requirements.”
TWC Gen 3 software update needed.
I might be misreading that but all of that already happened? What's new?

Or just watch some Netflix....

If on a long journey over a few days, I would rather not use the motorway services for charging and instead choose a hotel where I can charge over night, if its free even better.

In the future it will be beneficial for the hotels to provide chargers to attract customers rather than doing the EV drivers a favour. Similar situation for car parks, where the ones that have 50+ chargers are going to get more business from EVs than the ones that either don't have any or just a couple.

Interview with "Minister for the Future of Transport and Decarbonisation" - Tesla opening up is "weeks/months away not years"....
Well don't hold your breath that things are going to improve in the near future. I've just looked at the Gridserve map and most CCS chargers are for only 2 cars, most are in use or out of service! The minister seems very positive that Tesla are going to open up the SuC network. Maybe Tesla have done some kind of "cash" deal with the government to accelerate the infrastructure, to boost government targets that will be good for other EV's, but no so for Tesla owners... If Tesla reinvest this money in more SuC's then it could be win-win becuase they know what they are doing??

My gambit here is yes a couple of times a year you will be slightly inconvenienced
BUT
365 days a year you will not have to de-ice, demist or get into a freezing cold or boiling hot car .
For me this is one of the best things about owning an EV and not one that gets talked about that much

I must admit that I love the preconditioning feature. My wife loves that there’s no more idling the car to defrost or clear the screen of ice or warm up the car.

They are unlikely to be offering free charging when there's more than the occasional EV rolling up ... could end up costing a fortune!
I don’t expect then to be free, finding a free one now is great but not something i expect to see more of in the future.

The price I pay to charge within reason doesn’t really matter but the convenience to charge at the destination is most important.

Reactions: Nick77 and Adopado
Ah, good point. I know that in California there have been big queues for Supercharger at each end of public holidays.

I favour having chargers off-motorway so that holiday traffic - basically all going "one way" - can have the benefit of all the chargers, rather than only the half on their side of the Motorway ... a lot to be said for the up-and-over services at French Aires which share such resources for both carriageways.

Current solution would seem to be to charge before arrival, far enough away to avoid the crush, and rely on 200-ish miles of range until the weekend is done. Dunno if that is a practical solution though?

Different situation in USA where holiday trips are often drive-charge-drive-charge distance.

I liked the idea of the EVs fitted with lawn-mower range-extender generators, e.g. the i3-REX ... but they seem to have gone out of fashion / been discontinued.

I've converted plenty by taking them for a ride, and letting them have a go ... Fart Mode usually clinches it :) But demand exceeds supply so I suppose the laggards can wait. The 2nd hand value for their ICE in a few years time will rub salt into the wound.
I think it's the "letting them have a go" that does the trick!
As a passenger one can feel the acceleration, not hear the noise etc, but it's the driving that really shows the difference - the effortless way the car just goes up and down hills. Even powerful ICE cars make you subliminally aware of things changing under the bonnet to make it all happen.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I'm thinking there must be quite a significant proportion of EV owners who are going to be very light users of public chargers no matter how many are installed.

I agree. Also cost of battery will fall, energy density will increase, affordability of "more range" will increase, more cars will be longer range, and those with home charging will have fewer out-and-back journeys that need top-up charging. Maybe folk with no home charging will manage with destination chargers during e.g. Supermarket shop, or street/lamp post chargers, rather than rapid charging. Thus could be that we don't need huge numbers of Rapid chargers, just need enough at each site, and sites well spaced.

Unfortunately it becomes uneconomic to upgrade some models beyond a certain point, best to simply replace with something that better fits with current requirements.

Just to make sure I have understood? your upgrade advice is to "Keep the car"? :cool:

Or just watch some Netflix...

Nah .. .she bills by the minute :)

They are unlikely to be offering free charging when there's more than the occasional EV rolling up ... could end up costing a fortune!

Hmmm ... 7kW at £0.30 (might be optimistic!) for 10 hours overnight = 200-300 miles added / £20. Most people aren't going to have an empty battery where they can fit that much in. So perhaps £10 per car average. I don't know the pivot point between "Come to my hotel because I have charging" and "Chargers available, for a fee".

Some places are hooked up with yet-another-different-brand that I have to register an APP with and all that palaver ... mind, you, they've also farmed out their car park charges / fine / clamping too, and I tend to avoid those places as it indicates customer service cut to the bone.

I've just looked at the Gridserve map and most CCS chargers are for only 2 cars, most are in use or out of service!

I haven't checked, but Gridserve did a deal with Ecotricity to take-over? / upgrade their sites, and Ecotricity had very old, not-upgraded, poorly-maintained, equipment. Is it possible that that is showing on the Gridserve map? Gridserve map seems to have a lot of locations, but yet the front page only has a button for "Come to Braintree" their first, and showcase, prototype of what Grideserve charging is intended to look like.

It’s the mindset that needs changing as mentioned above. My brother instantly went on the negative when I told him I bought a Tesla. Range was one of them. When I pointed out that his yearly mileage is less than 20 miles a day why did he need more than 200 miles range in an EV! He couldn’t answer than said about travelling further. Which he does twice a year. So again, what’s the problem with ‘filling’ up twice to get there and all it adds is an extra 40mins - 60mins to your journey of 8 hours which he should be taking longer breaks anyway.

It will become a forced change of life style when IcE cars are no longer sold and fuel keeps increasing in cost due no new vehicles needing fossil products to drive them.

Those against changing or finding reasons to not change their lifestyle are usually the same people that say they care about the planet.

As always, there could be better ways to market EVs and the many benefits.

Perhaps the motoring organisations should do research on how many people could install chargers at home. Talk positively that what’s the problem with taking 30 mins to charge to get home. Rested is good for safety.

Push the news that daily mileage is no where near the limit/range of an EV.

Tell people that if they care about the air quality and the damage that fossil extraction does to the planet then get onboard with battery power as it’s happening anyway and stop complaining.

Ugh. I used to be similar - I was excited for others driving EVs - but two years ago my wife and I said that we need to change the way we do things. Would I have got an EV like a Zoe, I probably would have if that’s what I could afford and to be honest, it would be the logical choice for us. But we purchased a Y as it’s awesome.
Let us also not forget the hideous decrease in bladder range as one reaches advanced maturity. My M3 might make 300 miles... but I won't 🤣

Let us also not forget the hideous decrease in bladder range as one reaches advanced maturity. My M3 might make 300 miles... but I won't 🤣
How many bladder miles do you lose each year? I know it's a bad thing to allow your bladder to fill to 100% but stopping at 80% can be hard to judge. I believe bladder management can give a more accurate estimate of potential distance travelled if you try emptying when only at 20% and then let it fill to 100% ... but don't let it stand at 100% for too long or you may suffer increased degeneration (and a dark patche on the front of your trousers). Cold weather is another bladder challenge ...

Places like Premier Inn sometimes charge £10 per night parking. I wouldn't mind that if it came with free EV charging.
That's why St. Elon gave us Destination Chargers, many free*... but alas many charge more than the Premier chain for a bed ;)

* I got charged for a Destination Charger once at a Logis de France in Clermont Ferrand. Won't be going back there.