Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrician in DFW Area for HPWC and/or NEMA install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bolar, thanks!, I was thinking this as well to get a permit myself first and then get the $220 guy to install (he has come recommended from the North Texas Tesla Owners group). Permit itself is $45, some installers want to charge as much as $250 for the permit alone!....

No, the permit is for you to do the work, not someone else, so that's not going to work for you. In addition, getting the permit will be more difficult as an individual, as the permitting office will probably make you document all the things they assume a Master Electrician knows. (breaker box & cable ampacity, conduit sizing, electrical drawings, etc).

Actually, want to ask, do you have to have the installer present during inspection? I might try and get the permit (which includes inspection) myself and have an electrician install, but not sure if the electrician will be willing to come back out for inspection (if inspection cannot happen right after install and if electrician who installed needs to be present during inspection).

But no, the installer doesn't have to be present. If the inspector finds something wrong, he'll "red tag" the installation and the installer will have to come back to fix it.

Just want to give another +1 to Fox Electric. They gave me a quote using pictures of my breaker box and my electric bill via email. They were super nice and flexible with my schedule. They arrived on time, did the work in about 45 minutes, scheduled the city inspection (who came shortly after they finished), waited until the inspection was done, and left afterwards.

I would highly recommend them.

No, the permit is for you to do the work, not someone else, so that's not going to work for you. In addition, getting the permit will be more difficult as an individual, as the permitting office will probably make you document all the things they assume a Master Electrician knows. (breaker box & cable ampacity, conduit sizing, electrical drawings, etc).

But no, the installer doesn't have to be present. If the inspector finds something wrong, he'll "red tag" the installation and the installer will have to come back to fix it.

Hmm, thanks Bolar, looks like I will have to bite the bullet and go for another electrician who includes the permitting/inspection....

Reactions: bollar
Just want to give another +1 to Fox Electric. They gave me a quote using pictures of my breaker box and my electric bill via email. They were super nice and flexible with my schedule. They arrived on time, did the work in about 45 minutes, scheduled the city inspection (who came shortly after they finished), waited until the inspection was done, and left afterwards.

I would highly recommend them.

hulk, what is the quote they gave you? I got $380 from Fox for 14-50 right under the panel.

I know another member (gatsowatts in this thread) has theirs done from Fox for $300. Not sure why mine is more expensive, maybe Fox has raised their prices?

hulk, what is the quote they gave you? I got $380 from Fox for 14-50 right under the panel.

I know another member (gatsowatts in this thread) has theirs done from Fox for $300. Not sure why mine is more expensive, maybe Fox has raised their prices?

Same. $380 right below the panel. However I opted for "left and next to the panel", and paid $420. Still not a bad deal.

I will recommend Mike at MD Electric, he is in Carrollton (214) 797-1417. He replaced my panel a couple of years back and had him come back this week for a NEMA 14-50 install for a 3. Very reasonable and quick.

Thank you GDNTX. How far from your panel was the install? And how much did he charge? I need mine to be about 8-10 ft from the panel.

I used Good Faith Energy after getting various quotes and then assessing attention to detail and promptness to answer follow-up questions. Good Faith provided an exceptional experience for me and the team was super knowledgable. Of the three or four companies I spoke with all told me that I needed a sub-panel added. Good Faith did load calculations based upon the appliances in my home and reconfigured/combined breakers (don't know the technical words to describe this) in the box. Not only do I now have our MX charging from a HPWC on a 100 amp breaker, but I also have more room in my panel box than I did before they completed the install. We just got our MX yesterday and the charging speeds are great.

Attachments

• IMG_9299.PNG
    IMG_9299.PNG
    502.4 KB · Views: 184
Thank you GDNTX. How far from your panel was the install? And how much did he charge? I need mine to be about 8-10 ft from the panel.

Apologies for the late reply. He charged $270. But I'm sure that is the very cheapest it would be. This was as cheap as it could be because he had installed the new panel 2 years ago - so it was a new clean install he was familiar with. I had taken the sheetrock off the wall. My panel already had a spare 50 amp breaker in it he left from last time, and we ran the cable about 10 ft. It could not have been simpler and more straight forward. He had wire and the plug and no other parts. Had to drill through about 7 studs and add the wire, he was done.

Thanks to all that responded to my requests, just wanted to update you on my NEMA install.
I got my own permit, had an electrician do the install and the city inspector then came out to inspect and passed the inspection, he just took a quick look!
All in, including permit fees, it came out to just under $300.
Nice clean install....

Attachments

• MVIMG_20180125_093315.jpg
    MVIMG_20180125_093315.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 178
I got Rick at On Point electric to install a NEMA 14-50 at my sister’s house in Lewisville for $285 right next to the breaker box. Quick and easy communication and installation. On Point Electric | Electrical Services for Dallas and Ft Worth

Vacationing in Dallas for 4 days and staying at her house and needed somewhere to charge so paid for the outlet to be installed at her house. Thought about charging it, charging to 90%, at the Plano urban charger but that would take about an hr and a half including driving back and forth from her house.

I am trying to gauge how much mine will cost and what company to use in Fort Worth.

First up, I have a 100 amp box with an open double slot. I have 4 window units and 4 fridges/freezers at my house, but most are not running all the time. I also have an electric dryer and my fuse box is at the back of my house. I will likely have to run a cable underneath the crawl space in the house and through 2 walls to get under my carport. Also, last time my friend tried to charge his Tesla off my 110v, it would not work since I don't think it is properly grounded.

I don't know if I should bother with a 14-30 or a 14-50 charger. Upgrading to a new box is not in the plans since I may knock the house down in 10 years. Considering all the other issues my house has I doubt I would do it without permits or a licensed electrician although my other friend did.

Any ideas how much that could cost, or what I should plan for?

ABR Electric can install that. you can check out this video that Nathan made

he explains a lot of How much does it cost to install a Tesla charging station at home? ABR Electric is based in Allen but travel all through Collin County and into Dallas. I trust these guys they have been my personal electrician for almost a decade.
https://abrelectric.com

Just got my Nema 14-50 installed for only $200 (materials included) after discounting from $300.
If you need an electrician in Dallas Fort Worth area, I would strongly recommend these guys: Truong & Tony, they are in Arlington and can be reached at: (682) 564-8413 or (817) 793-3904

Reactions: TwoK4drSi