Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrician in DFW Area for HPWC and/or NEMA install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cab

Sep 5, 2013
Grapevine, TX
As I am (seriously) shopping for a CPO Tesla, does anyone have an electrician they would recommend for install of the HPWC (100 amp....dual charger capable) and/or Nema 14-50? I'm in the Grapevine area (e.g. near the DFW airport)? I'm not looking to get reamed on the install cost of course. I have installed 220 outlets before (i.e. it's not rocket science), but this would be a longer run vs. the one I installed 2 feet from the breaker box....and much fat cable of course.

I do still have my Blink Charger installed, but not in the location I would prefer.

Anyway, any recommendations are appreciated.

I used Smart Charge Residential to install a 15-50. They are based in Austin but also do work in DFW. The work was very well done but there was some miscommunication between the first person talked to and the installer. Also I think was on the expensive side for what they did. So if you can find anyone else I'd suggest giving them a call. Otherwise I think you could get it done just as well cheaper.

That link doesn't seem to be working too well.

It links to a closed group (another excellent reason to join NTTOG.com!) I don't think Rick will mind if I repost the information here -- I have removed members' last name from the post.
--------------
ELECTRICIAN recommendations from NTTOG

TERESA ·SATURDAY, MAY 21, 2016
ELECTRICIANS RECOMMENDED IN THE GROUP
Shlomo : Call Daniel 214 900 9738
Get a quote. He will be half price of all others--
He has done various work for us besides the Tesla Plug..... like security cameras, network hardwiring,entertainment centers,remodelling, generator installation...
Truth is...sometimes he comes up with such low fees - we just add a hefty tip

Ty : I have a TOP notch independent electrician. He installed my Tesla wall charger perfectly for $400. Jaime (817) 715-8421

Nandoo : Gotten quotes for over $1000 from tesla recommended electricians but I used Frisco electric and paid $250 to install the outlet right below the junction box and works great!

Robert : Chris Edmondson of CK Electric did mine (214) 208-7754, CKElectric
Jerry : I've used Electrician Plano | Electrical Repairs, Ceiling Fans, Light Fixtures 214 613 1000. They've done great work.
John : I used an independent electrician named Luis Gonzalez in Feb 2015 and was very pleased. He ran a line from the circuit box, through the attic and down the wall to my desired location for under $500. HIs number is: (972) 342-7700
Brett : I also live in Plano. I used Electric Man, Inc. (Emergency Electrician | Electricman Inc.) back in November. They did a great job....I've had zero problems.
Michael : Fox Electric did my install...two different houses
Jeff : Anybody but Mr Electric. It took three attempts and Tesla to get involved to fix their problems.

• Informative
Reactions: Boourns
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to add my experience with the NEMA install in the Plano area. I contacted all the Tesla recommended electricians to get quotes, Fox Electric was the best (Tommy Parker) and quoted my $300 for an outlet right below the panel and did an awesome job! Can't believe one of the other fancier website companies recommended by Tesla quoted my $1000 for the same exact install! Glad I shopped around.

Cheers.

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to add my experience with the NEMA install in the Plano area. I contacted all the Tesla recommended electricians to get quotes, Fox Electric was the best (Tommy Parker) and quoted my $300 for an outlet right below the panel and did an awesome job! Can't believe one of the other fancier website companies recommended by Tesla quoted my $1000 for the same exact install! Glad I shopped around.

Cheers.

That's great! and thanks for sharing :) I will remember this when I get my Model 3.

Gonna bump this thread to see if @cab or anyone else found someone good. We're building a house in the Prosper/Celina area and I need someone to hook up a HPWC. The house is pre-wired for 70A, so I just need someone to literally connect the wires.

Last edited:
I also just had a HPWC installed by Fox Electric. Tommy did the load calculation based on my current panel and my highest electric bill from last year. He already had knowledge of the load-balancing function on the HPWC (a good sign) and quoted me a good price.
I originally asked for HPWC at 90amps and a NEMA 14-50 outlet as a backup. He immediately told me that if I EVER intended to use both the HPWC and the 14-50 at the same time that was over my load center's limit and would require upgraded service to my house and an upgraded load center. I still wanted the redundancy of the 14-50 in the garage so I asked for a quote on a HPWC at 60amps and a 14-50. He said that would keep me under the load limit (barely) and if I intended to eventually replace the 14-50 with another HPWC that load balanced with my current one it was no problem.

They came out on a Monday morning and started the work. The wiring pull took the most time because the header above my load center was at the edge of the roof so they had to contort a but, but they got it done. They had to open the wall a little bit above my load center to drill through the header but they put a double outlet cover over it so it looks fine. They installed my outlet on the far side of the garage and Wall Connector on the same wall as the load center exactly where I wanted them and made no mess. I actually may move the WC about 6 inches higher because it just barely interferes with the rear-view mirror when I pull into the garage. Stupid of me not to measure ahead of time but I can work around it and the way they mounted it will make it easy to move up 6 inches if I need to. They finished all the work on Monday but they couldn't source Siemens breakers for my panel. They found compatible breakers for Siemens panels but they wanted to use Siemens breakers so the city inspector would have no reason to fail it. They also helped me install a TED5000 home energy monitor which was time consuming because they had to remove wires from breakers to install the closed-loop CTs where I wanted them, something I didn't want to mess with. The TED I got was here. TED - The Energy Detective
I got the TED Pro Home with two Spyder units. I can see the overall power use of my home plus I can watch 16 separate circuits. It's very cool and now I'm on a quest to reduce the vampire loads in the house.

They came back first thing Tuesday morning to install the Siemens breakers they got and finish the breaker wiring, then sat around for 2 hours waiting on the city inspector. When the inspector showed up he literally spend about 15 seconds staring into the open breaker panel, then passed it. The Fox guys (didn't catch their names) closed everything up and I paid the bill.

On Monday I put out the word on the DFW Tesla Owners group on Facebook that I needed help testing my new installation and was anybody willing to come by for a quick 5 minute charge and on Wednesday morning Joe from Ft. Worth came by with his white Model S and we tested my HPWC (48amps) and my 14-50 (40amps). Both worked like a charm. I highly recommend Fox Electric as they were prompt, the appointment was quick and they did a great job. Now I just need my car. :D

Reactions: bollar and ggies07
I ended up getting a quote from Fox, but ultimately never did anything. My panel AND sub-panel are both full and in order to install a new larger sub-panel for 100 amp (car is dual charger equipped as noted) it was going to be a bit pricey. In reality, none of it was necessary. I work from home and have been using the Mobile charger for almost a year now (at 32 amps no less...plug from my old Blink charger... with an extension cord and an adapter). I still have a new gen 2 HPWC sitting in the box. I've half-heartedly tried to sell it, but I figured I'll see what the Model 3 has to offer and go from there.

The Fox guys were nice enough, but I have a feeling someone else might not have pushed the whole new sub-panel bit. They were excited about a 100 amp install for me either. The flipside is that someone else might have ignored the "load" issue too.

Have several quotes now, there seems to be a wide spread from $220-$700 for 1 NEMA 14-50 install next to the panel.
The cheapest one said I don't need a city permit, but I called my city (Plano) and they said that it is required.
So, not sure if I want to go with him now.
I know some have done this themselves, if so, did you get a permit? Does it matter so long as the job is done right?

Have several quotes now, there seems to be a wide spread from $220-$700 for 1 NEMA 14-50 install next to the panel.
The cheapest one said I don't need a city permit, but I called my city (Plano) and they said that it is required.
So, not sure if I want to go with him now.
I know some have done this themselves, if so, did you get a permit? Does it matter so long as the job is done right?
I did it myself and got a permit -- aside from being the law, I think it's important for insurance purposes

I did it myself and got a permit -- aside from being the law, I think it's important for insurance purposes
Bolar, thanks!, I was thinking this as well to get a permit myself first and then get the $220 guy to install (he has come recommended from the North Texas Tesla Owners group). Permit itself is $45, some installers want to charge as much as $250 for the permit alone!....

Actually, want to ask, do you have to have the installer present during inspection? I might try and get the permit (which includes inspection) myself and have an electrician install, but not sure if the electrician will be willing to come back out for inspection (if inspection cannot happen right after install and if electrician who installed needs to be present during inspection).