Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electricity usage increase - cost increase after getting model3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So now the heat has reduced and I have persuaded the wife to turn off the AC I can evaluate our electricity usage a bit better. It still seems very high/expensive to me. Our next bill will be about $250 (compared to pre Tesla, no AC bill of about $50-70). Looking at the hourly usage it looks like the Tesla is sucking up about 33Kwh (if I am reading these graphs correctly) a day - charging from about 180miles to 270miles
Do these graphs look reasonable? You can see when I get home and plug the car in about 9-10pm where it charges for about 3hours.

How much were you paying for gas per month before you got the Tesla? You should factor that in as well. You're deleting one expense and replacing it with another less costly one.

On what do you base your assertion? SCs use commercial power, not residential. Those are billed differently than residential. Commercial power plans have things called demand charges. If your power usage is very peaky you can pay a lot. SCs by their nature are peaky. Lots of idle time with periods are really high consumption. I can imagine demand charges are killing them and they are spreading those charges out across the kWh charges to us. More info here: #2
This was a post I believe about OREGON electricity rates. There is no world where the commercial rates are that high on any regular basis in OREGON for either commercial or residential rates.

The majority of the SC electricity cost is a pass through to the tesla car owner. So why would they be som inch higher than any regular rare?

How much were you paying for gas per month before you got the Tesla? You should factor that in as well. You're deleting one expense and replacing it with another less costly one.
yes of course.. a bit hard to compare since my usage of gas was a bit extreme. One way I had to justify buying the Tesla was because at the beginning of the year I had an 80 mile round trip commute every day.. in a 50 year old car doing 12mpg.. I was using 30 gallons of gas a week at $3.5 or more/gallon. I then moved jobs closer to home and now my commute is only 30 miles round trip.. Perversely I am now trying to find another job with a long commute to justify the Tesla.... and to pay for it! My previous electric usage in summer peaked at maybe $150-$200 if we used the AC several days a month. When not using the AC in the summer electric usage was between $30-60/month ie. very low.

the Tesla is sucking up about 33Kwh (if I am reading these graphs correctly) a day - charging from about 180miles to 270miles

now my commute is only 30 miles round trip..

270 - 180 = 90 miles of DAILY driving.

Your commute is 30 miles round trip.

90 miles of daily driving - 30 miles of commuting to work = 60 DAILY miles of non-commuting driving.

???

So, every weekday, you drive 15 miles to work, then 15 miles home, then 60 more miles around your neighborhood before plugging in and charging for the night?

You have a second job as an Uber driver? Are you delivering pizza in the evenings?

I get home and plug the car in about 9-10pm where it charges for about 3hours.

Are you plugging in to a 110 volt outlet? Are you using a 220 volt outlet? Do you have a hardwired High Power Wall Charger? Do you know how many amps you are charging at (You can find it on the display in the car)?

3 hours on a 110v outlet won't typically pull more than 4 kWh per day, but won't be enough to replace the 30 miles of commuting:
4000 watt hours / 250 watt hours per mile = only 16 miles of range added to the car.

3 hours on a 220v outlet charging at 16 amps (a NEMA 6-20 outlet) is likely to pull 10.56 kWh per day. That is more than enough to replace the 30 miles of commuting, but not nearly enough to cover the additional 60 miles of non-commuting driving per day:
10,560 watt hours / 250 watt hours per mile = 42 miles of range added to the car.

3 hours on a 220v outlet charging at 32 amps (a NEMA 6-50 outlet) is likely to pull about 21.12 kWh per day. That's enough to replace your 90 miles of daily driving as long as you are using less than 235 wh/mi:
21,120 watt hours / 234 watt hours per mile = 90.3 miles of range added to the car.

3 hours on a High Power Wall Charger charging at 48 amps is likely to pull about 31.68 kWh per day. That's enough to replace more than 125 miles of daily driving as long as you are using less than 250 wh/mi:
31,680 watt hours / 250 watt hours per mile = 126.7 miles of range added to the car.

Notice that whatever your evening driving hobby is, it is costing you twice as much per day as your daily commute. So, if you are spending $200 per month on charging your car, then $67 of that is for your monthly commuting and the remaining $133 is for whatever your non-commuting 60 miles per day is.

Last edited:
OK I think everyone is taking my numbers a little too literally here.. specifically my driving distance... I haven't done a real scientific analysis of this yet, just going for broad brush strokes. The electric bill numbers are precise of course, mileage less so. I don't charge every day. My commute is currently 30 miles round trip and I probably charge every few days or so, no moonlighting as a pizza delivery of uber driver yet.
i am charging with a NEMA outlet at 32A 240v.
I'll continue to monitor the situation and try and get a bit more objective detailed numbers..

eh.. most calculation with .250W/miles a basically incorrect. You need to account for the vampire drain, the internal battery losses during the charging. It roughly would account for an additional 30% on top of 250W to get more or less correct numbers. So 250W becomes 320W

Something like TeslaFi.com would allow you to visualize your usage much easier. Use my username in the "where did you hear about us" for a 4 week free trial instead of 2.

I was shocked at how many miles I put on a day/week/month.

You can specify your kWh price for the calculations.

I just consider how much 1589.55 miles would have cost me in my Dodge truck I was driving before the Tesla.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 10.52.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 10.52.19 AM.png
    355.2 KB · Views: 44
We live in CA in a quadraplex with shoddy electrical and we had our electrical bill increase by that amount after a neighbor started running an electrical heater overnight for his dog in the garage.

Our bill is normally $60 and it went up to about $360. I assume the heater was around ~1000-1500W and he ran it for about 8 hours a night. It was easy to track on our electrical statement. It happened for about two months.

Considering the Tesla charges at 110v 12A that's 1300W. If you have to charge any more than 40 miles a day then I would expect your bill to increase just as much as ours did with heater bro and his dog.

I charge at work on L2 for free.

This was a post I believe about OREGON electricity rates. There is no world where the commercial rates are that high on any regular basis in OREGON for either commercial or residential rates.

The majority of the SC electricity cost is a pass through to the tesla car owner. So why would they be som inch higher than any regular rare?
Not sure. Many of the states have a Tier 1 and Tier 2 price but Oregon does not. It's possible that state regs don't allow them to do the differential pricing or the state could even be setting the price. In most places Tesla has to register as a power provider (since they are selling electricity) and so falls under state regulatory oversight. All the pricing and such is set by the state board(s).