Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electricity usage increase - cost increase after getting model3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Normally we have very low electric usage, about $50-60/month. If we run AC a few days a month that goes up to $120-160/month."

This is the line that has me curious. A few days or extra AC (is that simply 3 or more or 3-5 or half the month?), shouldn't increase one's bill 100%. If that were the case, the entire month with AC could end up costing you over 1000$, which can't be the case.

As others have said, you could be on tiers and you simply hit the tier 3 or 4 pricing, which can increase the $/kwh a LOT. Base rate in the Bay Area is .19, then it goes to .28, then it jumps to .46 and of course that is for EVERY hour of every device after that point. I have alerts setup to let me know if I'm getting close to Tier 3 (from Tier 2) or if for example I'm heading to Tier 4 which is usurious.

If you're at home a lot during says (or if someone else is) and or if you start the AC in the late afternoons to cool down a house in the summer time, a TOU rate starts to break down pretty quickly.

I've found/figured that if I'm in an AC period like the summer, or a very cold period in the winter, Im probably overall better off just supercharging at .26 in CA (vs. my Tier 2 rate of .28) so that only those hours are at that rate and not ALL my hours if I get up and over into Tier 2 or worse Tier 3.

My god, I can not believe how much folks report paying for electrical power in California. That is just insanity. I get that perhaps your supply mix is more expensive and *maybe* you have higher transmission costs, but it sounds like you guys are getting screwed on residential electrical. Feels like a method of environmental activism more than pure economics.

Here in Oregon I pay a little over 10c per kWh any time of day any day of the year. I find it hard to justify .46 per kWh peak when your off peak rate is only as low a .19. Someone is getting taken massive advantage of.

Reactions: CUBldr97
My god, I can not believe how much folks report paying for electrical power in California. That is just insanity. I get that perhaps your supply mix is more expensive and *maybe* you have higher transmission costs, but it sounds like you guys are getting screwed on residential electrical. Feels like a method of environmental activism more than pure economics.

Here in Oregon I pay a little over 10c per kWh any time of day any day of the year. I find it hard to justify .46 per kWh peak when your off peak rate is only as low a .19. Someone is getting taken massive advantage of.

California population: 39,776,830

Oregon population: 4,199,563

I think the answer is in there somewhere. ;)

It costs a lot more for electricity in CA due to the population alone. :)

Plus, they're the 5th largest economy. In the world.
I bet if you examine the electrical rates here and compare them to population, there will be no correlation. Nothing about population being a factor in the intro:

Electricity pricing (sometimes referred to as electricity tariff or the price of electricity) varies widely from country to country and may vary significantly from locality to locality within a particular country. Many factors go into determining an electricity tariff, such as the price of power generation, government subsidies, local weather patterns, transmission and distribution infrastructure, and industry regulation. “Electricity prices generally reflect the cost to build, finance, maintain, and operate power plants and the electricity grid.”[1] Some utilities are for-profit, and their prices will also include a financial return for shareholders and owners. Electricity tariffs vary by type of customer, typically by residential, commercial, and industrial connections.

Reactions: xpitxbullx
Not nearly as much hydro in CA as in the northwest, for one. Also, PGE has to pay for all the lawsuits against them SOMEHOW :)

I have a friend in portland complaining about how every little thing gets tacked on to their electric bill. Not sure what the rate is, though:

"Every time they suggest raising taxes to pay for some project here, people lose their minds so they roll additional fees and taxes into water/electricity to pay for it instead. Over and over. Now, it's not uncommon for my little 1br apartment to get $200/mo or more on its electric bill."

Whereas here in the Bay Area I've had my electric bill for our house as low as $35, and these days it hovers around $60-$100; usually less in the summer and more in the winter because it has to power the blower on the (gas) furnace.

Tier2 starts getting expensive, though, so the solar is going on next week now that the 3 is here.

Oregon does have some oddly low electric power rates. Some of it is that they have had historically years of pretty low cost nuclear (long since shut down in the STATE) and they have sourced electricity from states to the east that use COAL for production. It's not a long way from the coal sources there to the production plants and then its piped west to the state.

And in state there is a lot of Hydro, second only to Washington state. (where OR actually still gets some electricity from from a WA nuclear plant.

What strikes me as odd though is that Tesla has pushed the price of supercharger from .11 to .24 per KW when there is no world. in which that power costs them anywhere near that much to deliver. Maybe they finance some amount of the power that is delivered in other areas - like here in CA where .26 at an SC is a pretty decent deal all things considered.

I just got my electric bill and it was a bit of a shocker. Normally we have very low electric usage, about $50-60/month. If we run AC a few days a month that goes up to $120-160/month. This month my bill is about $390!
We have been running AC more than usual but I can only imagine the car charging is making up the difference. I have done about 500 miles so far in it over the last 2 weeks. Just wondered other people's experiences and what to expect
Mine should increase about $0.50 a day based on my electric rate and charge time. The dollar amount will vary by both variables.

~$25 per month for 1000 miles of driving at 250Wh/mi, charging on PGE TOU with Green Source option.
That's about $175 in gas at 20mpg with $3.50 premium in my last car.

Interesting, do you think TOU is a good deal for you? My car would be the only thing I could shift out of the peak usage time (other than that it is mainly AC since everything else is gas). The TOU option did not look that interesting to me.

I am on a solar net-metering setup so I don't obviously want to do anything to risk that (so not even sure TOU is an option but I have not looked into it).

(I am on Portland General Electric as well btw)

Interesting, do you think TOU is a good deal for you? My car would be the only thing I could shift out of the peak usage time (other than that it is mainly AC since everything else is gas). The TOU option did not look that interesting to me.

I am on a solar net-metering setup so I don't obviously want to do anything to risk that (so not even sure TOU is an option but I have not looked into it).

TOU is different in different areas. I can't shift my 4-9pm away from some AC in the summer and Heat / fan in the winter. Plus, I'm home about 2-3 days a week by then so it would push my costs up significantly compared to Tiered plans.

I might look into a second meter, and see if that might over 2-3 years be a better option.

TOU is different in different areas. I can't shift my 4-9pm away from some AC in the summer and Heat / fan in the winter. Plus, I'm home about 2-3 days a week by then so it would push my costs up significantly compared to Tiered plans.

I might look into a second meter, and see if that might over 2-3 years be a better option.

House or apartment? Insulation + PV would help lower AC net use.

House or apartment? Insulation + PV would help lower AC net use.
LTR SVH. Insulation isn't really the problem, construction is. It's not a big overall load, but Tiered plans have some doghouse as the baseline. I can't really do PV unless I did some roll out and put it in as a secondary (not connected to the home) for EV only. Might do, cost is pretty low overall.

My big picture experience. We have two electric cars (no Tesla yet) and drive about 12K miles a year total. We also have solar panels and time of use billing.

Roughly, and after discounting the monthly payment for the cost of the panels, the solar system is still covering the electricity for the cars (we charge only at night).

So, to put it simply, our electricity payment is about the same as it was before the panels/cars. No added cost for the solar system, no added cost for charging the EVs.

Yeah, it all depends on your TOU plan. It's a no-brainer for us, particularly with solar (being installed Monday) -- PGE E6 TOU plan.

We use almost no electricity during the day because we're at work. Peak hours are 1-7pm. part peak is 7-9pm. Off peak is 9pm and later. All of our appliances are gas, but still, the motor for a washing machine or clothes dryer uses far more than the LED lights in our house. It's simple to do all laundry/car charging/dishwasher after 9pm on weekdays or on weekends, hell, we're not usually even HOME until 8pm. No need for air conditioning in the Bay Area.

Net Metering 2.0 in CA means all of our prime solar credit generating happens at peak credit times, and we use off-peak. So 1kWh generated from the solar might pay for 2kWh into the car. It's amazing.
Supposedly we get "255 sunny days" which sounds low.
Redwood City, California Climate