Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrify America charging station, 440 N. Euclid St, Anaheim

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Google locates 444 N. Loara St. on the east side of the building, hopefully no there. It looks dark, desolate, dangerous.
That's just the address for the meter. When they first applied for the permit it was under the address 440 N. Euclid. But then they applied for the new meter and a change of address for the meter to 444 N. Loara. And since there's no parking in that alleyway back there, I wouldn't take that as being indicative of the actual location of the chargers within the plot.

Update time--

While the actual parcel stayed the same and it isn't really moving, the address was changed for this install. It's now 444 N. Loara St. But, as I said, that is a purely nominal change. Also, their permit application has been through 2 rounds of reviews. The only outstanding areas that still need corrections are: Planning Zoning, Traffic Engineering, and Structural/Architectural. Hopefully only one more corrected submission will do it and the permit will be issued so construction can begin. If they get everything fixed up quickly with the next submission, the permit will probably be issued by the second or third week of December (depends more on how long the corrections take to make, review is likely to only need a few days).
Update time--

The building permit was issued on 2019-02-11. I was off a few months in my prediction because It actually took 3 more review cycles--not the single one I had hoped for--hence the delay into February. Also, the scope of the project has decreased some as changes were made to secure the various approvals. It was originally described as 14 Tesla charging stations + 2 L2 stations (see opening post). The new project description says:
Install (8) EV charging stations and (2) accessible EV charging stations, (1) transformers and (1) switchboard. Relocate (1) light pole. 8 ft high x 150 ln ft of Trex fence.
So my read is that this will now be a 10 stall supercharger installation with no L2 stations included.

@ecarfan -- please adjust thread title to show permit issued status and stall count should now just be 10.

There is a good chance this will be one of the first superchargers to have V3 supercharging stalls in SoCal. No reason to install the old hardware on a project that has not even broken ground yet.

Construction has began. Most underground conduit work completed. Chargers will be in center of parking lot in front of Walmart. Based on layout of parking lot will be pull in. No views of equipment yet.

Attachments

• 295716B3-7546-4659-AFAE-120F56848443.jpeg
    295716B3-7546-4659-AFAE-120F56848443.jpeg
    764.9 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Construction has began. Most underground conduit work completed. Chargers will be in center of parking lot in front of Walmart. Based on layout of parking lot will be pull in. No views of equipment yet.
Got to be careful about this determination because I think Electrify America is also going to be putting a station in at this same Walmart. I don't know whether they are planning to put them side by side or what. But until we see some hardware or boxes that are identifiable as supercharger or EA stuff, it'll hard to be sure.

EDIT: Looking closer at the picture, while it's hard to tell, the trenching/excavation, conduit layout, and the forms they are building to put in between the stalls makes this look more like an EA install than a supercharger. But I just double checked the permit (linked in the opening post), and it is showing that inspections of the preliminary construction took place today. So, it seems this is the work tied to that permit. Weird. I'll be very interested to see the hardware when it shows up.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarcoRP
Is this area crowded anymore? I remember when this area opened up in the 90s and really died down quickly... Especially the side opposite the Walmart but the Walmart was always crowded for the longest time up until a few years ago when the location changed to stop being 24/7. (Also I swear I remember there being a 5 N onramp BEHIND the Walmart) Now it seems the rest of the plaza is getting a bit of a resurgence too. To be fair, beyond the halfway point of the parking lot of the Walmart is not used very much but it could've changed in the last 4 years? Been out of the area for a bit.

Got to be careful about this determination because I think Electrify America is also going to be putting a station in at this same Walmart. I don't know whether they are planning to put them side by side or what. But until we see some hardware or boxes that are identifiable as supercharger or EA stuff, it'll hard to be sure.

EDIT: Looking closer at the picture, while it's hard to tell, the trenching/excavation, conduit layout, and the forms they are building to put in between the stalls makes this look more like an EA install than a supercharger. But I just double checked the permit (linked in the opening post), and it is showing that inspections of the preliminary construction took place today. So, it seems this is the work tied to that permit. Weird. I'll be very interested to see the hardware when it shows up.

While I agree electrify america is definitely moving quick in the area; I did speak to one of the Forman for the job and it is the supercharger install. There is a second fenced off area closer to Walmart which appears to be for the two ChargePoint units or the “accessible” units on the permit.

Reason for delay was 440 Euclid’s electrical service was maxed out and they had to find a new electrical supply point. SCE agreed to the secondary address as the supply(3,000amp service). They still don’t have an easement to trench to the vault for power but should obtain it within next two weeks.

Job was scheduled for a 25 day build-out, but may turn into a Fontana, Ca supercharger with the current situation.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9 and Chuq
Reason for delay was 440 Euclid’s electrical service was maxed out and they had to find a new electrical supply point. SCE agreed to the secondary address as the supply(3,000amp service). They still don’t have an easement to trench to the vault for power but should obtain it within next two weeks.
It's very interesting that SCE would be providing electrical service here; I would normally expect Anaheim Public Utilities to be the one providing electrical service within the city limits, especially as this location is nowhere near the city limits.
This could be quite a complicated arrangement...

It's very interesting that SCE would be providing electrical service here; I would normally expect Anaheim Public Utilities to be the one providing electrical service within the city limits, especially as this location is nowhere near the city limits.
This could be quite a complicated arrangement...
I stand corrected. I assumed it was SCE when the Forman indicated the electrical service was an issue and the actual vault they will be tapping into would be close to 800’ of trench through the parking lot. I did not specifically ask who the utility was.

I stand corrected. I assumed it was SCE when the Forman indicated the electrical service was an issue and the actual vault they will be tapping into would be close to 800’ of trench through the parking lot. I did not specifically ask who the utility was.
Ah, that explains it then. SCE does have some distribution and transmission running through Anaheim, so I wasn't sure if there was some sort of special arrangement between Tesla and SCE.

As for this supercharger, I hope that it takes some pressure off East Anaheim. That one's already quite busy most times of day.

While I agree electrify america is definitely moving quick in the area; I did speak to one of the Forman for the job and it is the supercharger install. There is a second fenced off area closer to Walmart which appears to be for the two ChargePoint units or the “accessible” units on the permit.

Job was scheduled for a 25 day build-out, but may turn into a Fontana, Ca supercharger with the current situation.
Nice. Thanks for the clarification and confirmation. Anaheim's permitting shows that they've had to apply for 2 separate permits related to the electrical easements issue. One when the original building permit was approved in February and the second one was applied for just 2 weeks ago.

Sadly, this is not a Supercharger install. The conduits looks exactly like any Electrify installation, the setup is the same as any of their installs (green fencing, trenches being dug without breaking the pavement, those 2 metal containers, etc.)
There is also a location on PlugShare for an EA install here
25DC4D5F-1F7A-4DB6-93BD-5602C974CC4B.jpeg

Sadly, this is not a Supercharger install. The conduits looks exactly like any Electrify installation, the setup is the same as any of their installs (green fencing, trenches being dug without breaking the pavement, those 2 metal containers, etc.)
There is also a location on PlugShare for an EA install hereView attachment 424304
This same setup was also for the East Anaheim supercharger. Each EA location has wood crates on site for equipment not shipping containers. Maybe they are working in conjunction with each other? Only time will tell. The Forman I spoke to said the site will have Tesla Superchargers so I’ll go by that for now.

This same setup was also for the East Anaheim supercharger. Each EA location has wood crates on site for equipment not shipping containers. Maybe they are working in conjunction with each other? Only time will tell. The Forman I spoke to said the site will have Tesla Superchargers so I’ll go by that for now.
If he said Tesla then, there’s more chances it could be one. Some think Supercharger could also mean any fast chargers.

I did some reconocense and took some pictures of the layout and equipment. I did not see any superchargers, but did see lots of ABB units "more then 6" and the basic layout for them. I do not know the normal size of electricity America stalls. I also do not see Tesla listing this site on their website anymore. Which is worrying since I will depend on this site, once I get a Tesla. However, their seems to be more points then chargers

Attachments

• 20190710_184008.jpg
    20190710_184008.jpg
    312.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 20190710_183919.jpg
    20190710_183919.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 20190710_183819.jpg
    20190710_183819.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 20190710_183742.jpg
    20190710_183742.jpg