Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrify America Fast Chargers - Huh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I stand Corrected, 50kw for chademo is... pretty terrible (which the tesla adapter is capped at)

Edit* it seems the Leaf is capped at 50kw dc charging too, I read that chademo was capable of 100kw, but I guess that's not out in the field.
IIRC the newest LEAFs can take up to 200 Amps, so about 75 - 80 kW at peak if the charger is not the bottleneck. The overwhelming majoirty of installed CHAdeMO chargers are 125 Amps (~ 50 kW peak) and a handful exist at 200 Amps. The EA/VW CHAdeMO is spec'd for 200 Amps but they capped them at 125 Amps months ago pending resolution of undisclosed problems.

The CHAdeMO spec goes much higher but that is fairy land.

Last edited:
Something that seems to be glossed over is mobility issues and elegance.

CCS and ChaDeMo chargers are cumbersome. 6 to 7 times larger than a gas nozzle or tesla charger. Not everyone can wield such monsters that are magnitudes wider and heavier at the plug.

Also keep in mind Tesla was far ahead of the game and these "standards" are just catching up. Chademo is still capped at 100kw at most stations same with CCS. EA releases a couple of stations with 350kw and now everyone must switch. Reality check is highly needed.

350 kW is a marketing number - it’s 350A at 1000V, when there’s only one car that can take over ~400V, and even it is only 800V.

350A gives parity with Gen2 Superchargers for anything in the 400V range...

No carmaker in their right mind would join a charging system that is completely controlled by a competitor.

If they were anxious to sell EV’s they would. I suspect the SuperCharger network would have to be rebranded to something non-vendor specific but I doubt Elon would have a problem with that.

The real problem is the legacy automakers still don’t believe EV’s are real. I can envision a scenario where an automaker is so late to the party that their existence is threatened and they decide to throw in with Tesla’s network. Furthermore, its not at all clear to me that EA is a self-sustaining venture. If/When they fold, Tesla’s network will be the only game in town unless a non-Tesla consortium of automakers comes together to resurrect EA.

350 kW is a marketing number - it’s 350A at 1000V, when there’s only one car that can take over ~400V, and even it is only 800V.
I watched a Bjorn Nyland video this AM of a Model 3 SR+ at a ionity charger. It indeed peaked at 170 kW for a minute or three, but from a SoC of ~ 10% to 65% the average power was about 2C*. I think that is pretty outstanding, but it also suggests something of an upper bound for current generation cars, whether 800 volts or less.

* 206 Km of range added in 16 minutes, 45 seconds

Last edited:
CCS and ChaDeMo chargers are cumbersome. 6 to 7 times larger than a gas nozzle or tesla charger. Not everyone can wield such monsters that are magnitudes wider and heavier at the plug.
No idea where you get that. The European CCS adapter is much smaller than the Chademo one, and nowhere near "6 to 7 times larger than a gas nozzle". It's more comparable with the J1772 adapter.
Also keep in mind Tesla was far ahead of the game and these "standards" are just catching up. Chademo is still capped at 100kw at most stations same with CCS. EA releases a couple of stations with 350kw and now everyone must switch. Reality check is highly needed.
All of EA's CCS outlets provide at least 150kW, same as the vast majority of Tesla's (non-urban) superchargers. Some of their metro chargers will supposedly have lower output, but so do Tesla's urban chargers. And EA hasn't deployed "a couple" 350kW chargers, but several hundred.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
If they were anxious to sell EV’s they would. I suspect the SuperCharger network would have to be rebranded to something non-vendor specific but I doubt Elon would have a problem with that.
It would also require a vendor-neutral billing system and other enhancements. And I doubt very much that Tesla would give up their complete control over the system, which makes it a no-go for other carmakers.

I'm not sure that would be a huge issue. I think there are many more important issues to be dealt with and I don't know how genuine Musk's offer of sharing the network really is. The offer was contingent on the newcomer helping to build out the network, so I can only assume there would be investment requirements that might be rather large. I mean, the Tesla network is the biggest in the world.

At some point the Tesla network says "EV charging" like no other name can. Wouldn't you want to be associated with that if you were selling EVs? GM might not want to, but Rivian considered it for sure.

The real problem is the legacy automakers still don’t believe EV’s are real. I can envision a scenario where an automaker is so late to the party that their existence is threatened and they decide to throw in with Tesla’s network. Furthermore, its not at all clear to me that EA is a self-sustaining venture. If/When they fold, Tesla’s network will be the only game in town unless a non-Tesla consortium of automakers comes together to resurrect EA.

I'm pretty sure Ford and GM are on board with EVs along with VW, et al. Ford has canned many of the smaller, less profitable models in order to restructure the company around the new EVs they are coming out with. GM has announced a large number of models with specific schedules. Unfortunately for us they are focusing on the Chinese market rather than the US and their first two or three offerings will be in Asia. It's only a small number of Asian companies who are looking at present demand thinking that indicates how people are going to receive EVs. Can you say Honda?

It was actually Tesla who did it a bit back-asswards. Sedan before higher selling SUV, US before China. Maybe that was the right thing to do given they are a start up company or some other differences, but what would the sales have been like if they had the model Y first?

It would also require a vendor-neutral billing system and other enhancements. And I doubt very much that Tesla would give up their complete control over the system, which makes it a no-go for other carmakers.

First, Tesla's charging is the cheapest source around. But that's all negotiable. I don't think there are any real issues with sharing the network if Tesla doesn't make onerous demands on investment.

I watched a Bjorn Nyland video this AM of a Model 3 SR+ at a ionity charger. It indeed peaked at 170 kW for a minute or three, but from a SoC of ~ 10% to 65% the average power was about 2C*. I think that is pretty outstanding, but it also suggests something of an upper bound for current generation cars, whether 800 volts or less.

* 206 Km of range added in 16 minutes, 45 seconds

Yes, the batteries will always be the limiting factor. Well, at least until we start using plutonium primary cells. Oh, and flux capacitors.

No idea where you get that. The European CCS adapter is much smaller than the Chademo one, and nowhere near "6 to 7 times larger than a gas nozzle". It's more comparable with the J1772 adapter.
I have no idea where you're getting your size from.. Pick up a CCS combo charger. sorry this isn't Europe, it's right in the name of the company. Are going to compare size of the chinese GBT plug too? because that's relevant to Electrify America, I guess.

All of EA's CCS outlets provide at least 150kW, same as the vast majority of Tesla's (non-urban) superchargers. Some of their metro chargers will supposedly have lower output, but so do Tesla's urban chargers. And EA hasn't deployed "a couple" 350kW chargers, but several hundred.

EA is playing a bit of shell game. Having ONE 350kw capable plug at several locations does not make it several hundred. You can't state all chargers have 150kw then same they don't. It's misdirection and misleading. There's a reason you have to sign up for an account, that requires you so sign up with a credit card just to see what connections are available. It's a barrier to the truth.

No carmaker in their right mind would join a charging system that is completely controlled by a competitor.
Also, I think it's kind of a given that most car companies would not want to set up their customers where they are getting advertised to by a competing car company every time they use one of those charging stations and are staring at the big glowing Tesla logo on the charging pedestal. That would be something they would try to avoid.

Also, I think it's kind of a given that most car companies would not want to set up their customers where they are getting advertised to by a competing car company every time they use one of those charging stations and are staring at the big glowing Tesla logo on the charging pedestal. That would be something they would try to avoid.
As Tesla starts to get a larger name in multiple industries (especially grid storage) that will be less of an issue. Actually it will be an advantage because Tesla Superchargers and destination chargers are recognized as reliable, many of the other ones are not.

As Tesla starts to get a larger name in multiple industries (especially grid storage) that will be less of an issue. Actually it will be an advantage because Tesla Superchargers and destination chargers are recognized as reliable, many of the other ones are not.
But that is exactly the Bad Thing (TM) they are trying to avoid!! They don't want to expose their customers to seeing how great and reliable and fast and wonderful and powerful Tesla products are! They might consider replacing their car with a Tesla next, and that's not something they want to encourage. This is common sense.

I have no idea where you're getting your size from.. Pick up a CCS combo charger.
I have. Have you?
EA is playing a bit of shell game. Having ONE 350kw capable plug at several locations does not make it several hundred.
They have one or two 350kW chargers at almost all of their locations, which means there are currently somewhere between 380 and 760 350kW chargers out there.
You can't state all chargers have 150kw then same they don't. It's misdirection and misleading.
WTH are you even talking about? Currently, all EA locations have a mix of 150 and 350 kW chargers. So yes, all of them have at least 150 kW. In cycle 2 EA will increasingly install metro chargers which may have lower output, just like Tesla's urban chargers.

• Funny
Because it's cross-subsidized. And regardless of the price, some kind of billing system that works with non-Tesla cars would still be required. Right now the billing depends on Tesla's in-car software.

Are you suggesting that would somehow be difficult? Every other brand of car would require an adapter anyway. I can picture an adapter that contains the smarts to provide the billing handshake as well as mechanical interface.

There is no reason why "foreign" EVs would have to pay the same price as Tesla owners. Besides, any other company would be part of the investment having to help grow the system. Where's the problem?

But that is exactly the Bad Thing (TM) they are trying to avoid!! They don't want to expose their customers to seeing how great and reliable and fast and wonderful and powerful Tesla products are! They might consider replacing their car with a Tesla next, and that's not something they want to encourage. This is common sense.
That's true today. As Tesla gets recognized in other areas, it will be less true. Particularly as the other car manufacturers have indicated that they will not be building any kind of a network (other than having their dealers install chargers--that's not a network).

As Tesla gets recognized in other areas, it will be less true.
You keep repeating this. Clearly you think it's true, but I have not seen any explanation of why that makes sense to you. It seems the opposite of common sense. Car makers will never want to intentionally expose their customers to advertising for competing cars. Period.

Samsung and Hyundai are involved in a lot of different industries globally, but Apple sure as hell would not want to present Samsung logos and branding and advertising to their phone customers because Samsung is one of their main competitors in the phone space.