Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrify America general discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All the arguments for plug adapters are also valid for payment systems. For gas stations in the USA, all you need is a credit/debit card. For level 3 charging:
NetworkBilling optionsCredit card reader at charger
Tesla Superchargervehicle-based billingNo
BlinkRFID cardNo
EvGomobile app or RFID cardSome
Electrify Americacredit card or mobile appYes

Us enthusiasts will put up with the inconvenience but the average driver will find this really annoying.
Blink allows mobile app billing. Also, EA does take CCs but the readers seem broken a lot of the time. I tried to use the CHAdeMO at an EA station. Tapped my phone; no go. Tapped my card; no go. Swiped my card; no go. I gave up, downloaded the EA app, created an EA account, entered my CC data into it, and then started the session from my mobile phone.

Blink allows mobile app billing. Also, EA does take CCs but the readers seem broken a lot of the time. I tried to use the CHAdeMO at an EA station. Tapped my phone; no go. Tapped my card; no go. Swiped my card; no go. I gave up, downloaded the EA app, created an EA account, entered my CC data into it, and then started the session from my mobile phone.
No question that the need for a dozen apps and billing systems is a pain. But it's just that, a pain, not something that demands laws which seem good at first then stagnate things later.

Of course Tesla owners love the plug-and-play nature of superchargers. That's just starting to show up with plug-to-charge, which I presume Teslas will also handle when they get their CCS adapter. Would prefer that over credit card.

The fact that so many stations screw up billing is the core problem that charging is not a business. If it were a business, it would work very hard to make it as easy as possible for customers to pay. The fact that customers drive away without being able to charge due to billing problems would be a top trouble ticket any any network that was a business. But it's hard to fix that part.

Electrify America charging station in Gillette, WY is officially open.

It was technically operational two weeks ago, but is wasn't officially open until a government bureaucrat shows up and sign off on the opening.
With that, it looks like the map on their page now lists exactly 750 locations open:

1649904650518.png

When I last updated my Plugshare data on the 9th, I got 753 stations through Plugshare, with 734 having enough checkins to be rated 1 or greater.

Why should a Tesla owner care about an EA installation in Billings?
It's another option,

With a CCS1 adapter, most Teslas will charge faster at EA (around 190kW peak for 3/Y), than on the existing V2 superchargers even when you have the cabinet to yourself. Like V3 superchargers, power isn't shared on EA stations too, so you're better off using an EA station when the V2 Superchargers are nearly full.

Why should a Tesla owner care about an EA installation in Billings?
Well, let's see.

There is a V2 Supercharger with 4 chargers in Billings, MT.

That means that if there are already at least two vehicles charging there, he/she is going to be charging at 75 kW max.

...or he/she can just go charge much faster at the Electrify America charging station in Billings, MT.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Also, I don't see why any Tesla driver would want fewer chargers unless he/she has a financial stake in Tesla.

Well, let's see.

There is a V2 Supercharger with 4 chargers in Billings, MT.

That means that if there are already at least two vehicles charging there, he/she is going to be charging at 75 kW max.

...or he/she can just go charge much faster at the Electrify America charging station.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Also, I don't see why any Tesla driver would want fewer chargers unless he/she has a financial stake in Tesla.

LOL! Tesla owners have the widest variety of charging options of any EV brand. Do you even own an EV? And it seems like you have a very vested interest in EA...