Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon "About to end range anxiety"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For some reason I think its a power limiting feature on the motor, similar to ICE cylinder deactivation. So for example, instead of a regular p85 having 470 hp at all times, there's some "cruise" or "eco" mode that says you can run on 200 HP or something while cruising. I think this feature is good for P85D's who don't need all the bananas in your face power ALL THE TIME.

This is a feature I've been wanting. I can't control my lead foot but it could b forced via software.

I agree, but that doesn't mean that the entire fleet doesn't get the software. And it's not like they haven't done this in the past-- the leasing announcement a year or so ago, for instance.

Does it do anything practically for most of us? No. Does that matter? No.

As far as I know, there's only 1 battery swap station. It seems pointless to announce a software update for battery swap, when the overwhelming majority of Model S drivers would not be able to take advantage of the feature anytime soon.

You guys have to start thinking out of the box.......like Elon. Tesla will announce a partnership with Apple. Apple will throw $10B at Tesla. Tesla will immediately build 200 new SC, ending worries.
Apple will then introduce iPhone and Car Play integration, followed by more great software/hardware features for Tesla. Tesla will invest in new battery technology that allows Apple to run iPhones twice as long. A perfect partnership where everyone wins.

Pulsing or microsleeping the motor to increase range doesn't negate the laws of physics.
To maintain 60 mph, roughly 14 KW of continous energy is needed just to negate rolling and air resistance (assumin crr of 0.012 for the stock 19" tyre). If power is applied only part of the time, more is of course needed when it is applied. 14 KW does include losses in the drive train or electrical system or any power used for non-propulsion... Add 2 KW for other systems and losses and you get roughly 300 miles in 60 mph... (Unless I do the math wrong)

Entire fleet also means all cars in europe, japan, china and australia. So any plugshare or other US/NA-only thing is out.

I have a feeling it will be some kind of alarm system, it will show you the distance to the nearest supercharger on the way to travel to and your wh consumption. If the wh consumption will get too high to reach the nearest charger you get an alarm +- throtteling of your speed. The other option would be that Bmw, Audi, ?Apple, Porsche, GM, Nissian and who knows have had a meeting and agreed they will all start to build supercharger stations and in about a year from now the entire road network will be plastered with them.

I believe the primary focus will be better navigation to include all needed charging stops. One other possibility would be a partnership with a major player who has thousands of locations and has agreed to install chargers in all of them. If there was a network of HPWCs or something similar that was absolutely everywhere, that would "end range anxiety" as well. The ideal partner would probably someone like an international restaurant chain or hotel chain.

I can't believe that nobody has figured this out, when it is so obvious. Clearly the onboard Mr. Fusion reactor will be brought online. No more worries about running out of power. 
Yes! Imaging during "Tesla Time" trying to explain to someone what your doing when your poking banana peels and dumping beer into the back of your Model S what the hell that is all about.:scared:

I think the 6.1 update was a bigger deal than "a better navigation estimator tool", and yet it didn't require a press conference.
The last big deal Tesla had was the introduction of the "D" and the autopilot. Since there will be a press conference, we should have something more than a tool and "major".

History lesson

Elon Musk - 4/13/2013:
"The Monday announcement is going to be focused on service. And in the following week or two after that we’re going to have a big announcement on the supercharger network, and then following that we’re going to have a mystery announcement or two if people aren’t completely sick of hearing about us"

The "big announcement" was the opening of the first 6 superchargers in CA (more than a year after SuperChargers were first announced), and the promise of an upgrade of SuperChargers from 90kW to 120kW.

The service announcement was loaners. The other 2 announcements were the lease program, and battery swap.

However, that one statement (and a few tweets after to that effect) caused about 1000 pages of speculation on here.

Never underestimate Elon's ability to overstate the importance of a press release.

History lesson

Elon Musk - 4/13/2013:
"The Monday announcement is going to be focused on service. And in the following week or two after that we’re going to have a big announcement on the supercharger network, and then following that we’re going to have a mystery announcement or two if people aren’t completely sick of hearing about us"

The "big announcement" was the opening of the first 6 superchargers in CA (more than a year after SuperChargers were first announced), and the promise of an upgrade of SuperChargers from 90kW to 120kW.

The service announcement was loaners. The other 2 announcements were the lease program, and battery swap.

However, that one statement (and a few tweets after to that effect) caused about 1000 pages of speculation on here.

Never underestimate Elon's ability to overstate the importance of a press release.

Yep, great reminder.

I suspect a new system whereby, if you have a destination in your nav, it'll more accurately estimate energy usage and direct you to chargers along your route IF YOU NEED THEM. If you don't need them, it won't suggest Superchargers, and indeed, will limit charging speed if you do stop at a Supercharger.

Tesla's Darwinian punishment for those who are not bright enough to figure out that all they need to do is enter a different destination?

That could certainly be the case for an upcoming software release, but that alone is hardly worthy of a press conference.

Agreed. Integration of additional charging points (Plugshare, Partners, etc.) in and of itself does not merit a press conference. Most have an iPhone and can look up this info very easily. Or heaven forbid, access this info through the touchscreen.

I'm still holding out I hope for improved SpC.

"The entire fleet...". If I have learned anything about tesla, then anything that sells to less than 25%, it's obsolete and wil be scratched (green and brown paint, double charger, etc.). Reversing that experience: if it applies to 75%, for Elon, that would be "the entire fleet", right?

So it's going to be a trip planner that includes the best order of Supercharger stops for a round trip. Tough luck for no SC enabled cars and whoever the heck has no navi... .

Whatever it is I hope it applies to vehicles driven in cold climates where you need to run the front and rear defrosters full blast to keep your windows from icing up. My max range in these conditions is about 200km for my P85D. Can't wait for summer!

Very long extension cords, or lifetime supply of Xanax. Oh darn, that's not OTA. Alright, revised nav with routing via superchargers, and improved estimation using wind, temperature; etc data. It will tell you when to unplug and go for optimum time.

Last edited: