Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon "About to end range anxiety"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure how that will end range anxiety though...it just means you can plan better lol

Range anxiety comes from not knowing if you can get somewhere without getting stranded with an empty battery.

In a Model S, with reasonable planing, you may never need any non supercharger charging, but that does not mean people are not anxious about range ( especially new and/or prospective buyers)

Showing all the locations around you that you can charge at reduces anxiety. If you have 50 miles range left, but you see 5 charging location along the way to your destination, you are going to be far less stressed.

What does everybody think about the timing for the the implementation of whatever we're getting? Are we all going to have an update notice once the press conference concludes, or will this innovation/update come over time and in fragments like autopilot?

Let's hope that Elon has learned something and will only announce a feature or product when it's actually available.

You are aware that your are not using 470 hp at all times? And using 200 HP would be a lot, kW is a measure of power and horsepower is as well, and as you probably have noticed in your car you rarely go above 20-60 kW when just cruising.

Also since an electrical engine is so much more energy efficient than an ICE there is not much to play with, I doubt we will se a significant improvement in range, more likely some kind of navigation features that helps you plan out your trips in a way you don't get range anxiety.

Ah true good point about peak power. Todd Burch's idea was more what I had in mind but I didn't read his post prior to posting. I highly doubt a nav feature would lead to a press conference. The other possibility is supercharging at an even faster rate? It affects the entire fleet doesn't mean all the fleet has it? But it doesn't mean that they CAN'T have it...

Speaking in such absolute language, giving advance notice to speculate ahead of a press conference implying something big, I think we're all in for some disappointment.....I'm skeptical a navigation update, even if somehow pushed out to all cars, would "end anxiety". The range estimate to destination might be pretty good, but I don't think it can factor in changes in driving patterns from traffic, lights, heavy acceleration, rain, elevation, cabin heat and cold weather, etc., to be accurate enough to rely on completely.

Incorporating Plugshare into the UI then is a step, but using Plugshare doesn't usually help me as many listings are incomplete about time of operation, how much power, whether you need Blink or Chargepoint accounts, if it's behind a gate that may be locked, among other things, and then you might worry the info that is there is outdated. I wouldn't want to count on getting to a Plugshare site I've never been to before with low state of charge only to find out that I can't charge there be it closed, out of service, or whatever else. Just saying that if that's the announcement, it wouldn't do much in the way of relieving any prior range anxiety, not if it entails the expectation that I'll be spending 5 hours charging at a J1772 on a regular basis. He could go even further and announce that Blink and Chargepoint are now free, but that doesn't alleviate many of the other concerns. Even throwing in 135-150kwh supercharging and less taper would save you some time, but not make you feel you less apprehensive on whether you'll get there! Now if he had said he was going to merely "reduce range anxiety", on the other hand.....

Really the only thing he could say that would justify the hype is that there's been a substantial range increase, whether by some kind of pulsing or torque vectoring, or somehow unlocking extra battery capacity. I'll just say I'll be pleasantly surprised if that's what comes to pass, or if it's something else that really nails down range anxiety. I know it's his job to preach and be a brand cheerleader and it's okay to hype things up from time to time, but his bravado often raises expectations too high, doing that too much tends to give way to a perception of underdelivering (Scotty on Star Trek always knew to overestimate repair times so he could do them in 1/4 the time and look like a "miracle worker!").

Elon is a world master of hyperbole and of making promises that get people excited... for example, he announced the firmware update that would include wind speed, elevation change, driving habits and charging opportunities in your routing and that would make suggestion for the optimum driving speed to reach your destination at the best possible time. He announced this for "in a couple of months" in November 2013.

Oh wait, we think that this is the announcement he's going to make again next week (since Tesla hasn't delivered on this in the past 16 months...).

Let's look at his words. "About to end range anxiety". Not "range issues". Not "lack of range". Range anxiety. So yes, this will be simply about more information, better estimates, possibly better navigation along the lines of what he promised in 2013.

- - - Updated - - -

Let's hope that Elon has learned something and will only announce a feature or product when it's actually available.
Brew-ha-ha-ha-ha.... you're really funny, AmpedRealtor

Really the only thing he could say that would justify the hype is that there's been a substantial range increase, whether by some kind of pulsing or torque vectoring, or somehow unlocking extra battery capacity.
Didn't Elon tweet about a month or so ago that no major range improvements were coming to to s85? I can't find it now, but it was fairly recently. I doubt he would then turn around with a fleet wide range improvement announcement.

To those who insist that it is increased range that will end range anxiety -- there is currently range anxiety with the Model S (if not, why would it be news to be doing something to eliminate it?). There is range anxiety with the Leaf. Going from 80 mile range to 265 mile range did not ELIMINATE range anxiety, so why would going from 265 mile range to 400 mile range eliminate it?

I don't think it is a range increase.

I'm also dubious about an upgrade of a navigation system that can't do very well at navigating from point A to point B without going miles out of the way on some bizarre route suddenly being relied upon to accurately navigate perfectly and be able to accurately estimate my energy usage so that I feel absolutely certain it is correct. Enough so that I don't even think about range? Nah.

Sorry, I don't have a guess as to what it IS. I just don't think it is these things.

I'm going with a fleet of car carriers in constant circulation around the country, picking up owners and their Teslas and dropping them off at distant destinations.:wink:

Plugshare doesn't end range anxiety. It just introduces you to something called charger roulette which can be just as anxiety provoking.

Yup.

Tesla has full control over the supercharging network. Directing teslas to uncontrolled chargers that don't work and/or are occupied for hours on end could turn into a disaster.

Now, if they opened up third party apps and plugshare kicked in...

Elon is a world master of hyperbole and of making promises that get people excited... for example, he announced the firmware update that would include wind speed, elevation change, driving habits and charging opportunities in your routing and that would make suggestion for the optimum driving speed to reach your destination at the best possible time. He announced this for "in a couple of months" in November 2013.

Oh wait, we think that this is the announcement he's going to make again next week (since Tesla hasn't delivered on this in the past 16 months...).

Let's look at his words. "About to end range anxiety". Not "range issues". Not "lack of range". Range anxiety. So yes, this will be simply about more information, better estimates, possibly better navigation along the lines of what he promised in 2013.

- - - Updated - - -

Brew-ha-ha-ha-ha.... you're really funny, AmpedRealtor

I think the 6.1 update was a bigger deal than "a better navigation estimator tool", and yet it didn't require a press conference.
The last big deal Tesla had was the introduction of the "D" and the autopilot. Since there will be a press conference, we should have something more than a tool and "major".

Most of the speculations don't make sense.

We have 4 factors:
1- The news will affect all Model S owners: 40kWh, 60kWh, and 85kWh (Single or "D"uel motor); w/tech and wo/tech.
* Can't be a free access for 40 or 60kWh owners.
* Can't be something related to the navigation.
* Can't be a better supercharging performance (you excluded 40 and 60kWh cars, and this can't help with range anxiety, it helps with waiting time only)
2- Something that can be done through a software update only.
* Can't be an extension to the current battery, or battery swap.

3- Something that is not limited to a geographic location.
* More SC stations all of a sudden worldwide is impossible and has nothing to do with an OTA.

Disagree. I think you are taking it too literally. Of course it can be navigation or supercharger related and impact the entire fleet. Even 40 kWh cars have access to SpC through a paid upgrade. And I would imagine the same is true of Nav.

Disagree. I think you are taking it too literally. Of course it can be navigation or supercharger related and impact the entire fleet. Even 40 kWh cars have access to SpC through a paid upgrade. And I would imagine the same is true of Nav.

Supercharger related? How is that related to range anxiety? with the current setup and current SC roadmap? There will be nothing new... The 2016 future map is already there!

Yeah, I would take it literally if I was the CEO of a multibillion dollar company and wanted to summon a press conference.

Didn't Elon tweet about a month or so ago that no major range improvements were coming to to s85? I can't find it now, but it was fairly recently. I doubt he would then turn around with a fleet wide range improvement announcement.
He announced the ~0.1s acceleration improvement on Jan 29. I also remember a tweet about no significant battery / range changes coming to the Model S, but a search through his feed doesn't find anything...

- - - Updated - - -

I think the 6.1 update was a bigger deal than "a better navigation estimator tool", and yet it didn't require a press conference.
The last big deal Tesla had was the introduction of the "D" and the autopilot. Since there will be a press conference, we should have something more than a tool and "major".
I don't think they have been all that consistent. But I hope that you are right :)

This may disappoint many, but I think that Tesla is simply going to update the navigation system to program in Tesla Charging Partners as currently being displayed on the Find Us web page. I see it as a new "Charging Partner" tab similar to the Superchargers tab. It will be a useful improvement and it will assist Tesla in selling the Destination Charging Program to host locations. Tesla can tell a prospective host location that even if the owner of the Model S doesn't know about your location, the car does and it will take the owner to your hotel, resort, etc.

Larry

I'm just going with much improved navigation software. Once it knows your destination, it can route you optimally, telling you exactly where to stop for charging and for how long. It could even factor in temperature and traffic, and also other cars already at or being routed to superchargers. This would be significant.

^^ this.

Elon is the king of hyperbole. He made the TV talk show rounds last year saying what a great feature it will be to name your car. Did anyone consider that a great, or even "neat", feature? Totally useless! Yet Elon hyped it like it was sliced bread. I think this is going to be a press conference because Tesla needs to reverse the recent spate of bad news. It's not about the gravity of the update that he's talking about, it's the fact that he wants to counter the negative news cycle.

I agree. Also, Tesla has recently been beta testing, or A-B testing, or whatever 60 kW Supercharger limits. I suspect a new system whereby, if you have a destination in your nav, it'll more accurately estimate energy usage and direct you to chargers along your route IF YOU NEED THEM. If you don't need them, it won't suggest Superchargers, and indeed, will limit charging speed if you do stop at a Supercharger. This will be spun in a way to ensure that people that really need the charge will have access to the full charge.

I also wouldn't put it past Tesla that if you decide to be a prick and drive at 100 mph, the software will tell you to slow down to conserve energy.

The only thing promised in the tweet was ending range anxiety, not increasing range. Big difference. Maybe Tesla will GUARANTEE that if you trust their range software estimate, they will run a flat bed truck out to you should you run out of charge.

What does everybody think about the timing for the the implementation of whatever we're getting? Are we all going to have an update notice once the press conference concludes, or will this innovation/update come over time and in fragments like autopilot?

If it like past OTA update promises, we'll be getting it in about 2 months. Unless it fixes a government mandated safety recall, then it's two days.

The new trip feature in the energy app already goes a long way to mitigating my range anxiety. It seems most plausible to me that further improvements in this function are what we'll see, in conjunction with a partnership with Plugshare, to help identify charging locations on route.
As someone who lives in a state with zero superchargers, I don't see how improving supercharger performance will help with "anxiety". Anxiety is a state of mind, and the only way to address it is to provide more, higher-quality information.

This may disappoint many, but I think that Tesla is simply going to update the navigation system to program in Tesla Charging Partners as currently being displayed on the Find Us web page. I see it as a new "Charging Partner" tab similar to the Superchargers tab. It will be a useful improvement and it will assist Tesla in selling the Destination Charging Program to host locations. Tesla can tell a prospective host location that even if the owner of the Model S doesn't know about your location, the car does and it will take the owner to your hotel, resort, etc.

Larry

That could certainly be the case for an upcoming software release, but that alone is hardly worthy of a press conference.

That could certainly be the case for an upcoming software release, but that alone is hardly worthy of a press conference.

When social media, word of mouth, owner advocates, and press conferences are your ONLY advertising.... just about ANYTHING is worthy if the press will cover. Having said that, I'm sure whatever it is, it is more than the mid-year FW update I'm getting on my other cars.

Over/under on 100 pages of posts by Thursday?