Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: "Amplified pre-delivery inspection" "Several parts being replaced"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla should be focusing on speeding up Q/A and the identified repairs. It hurts to read that there are people who confirmed last year who still haven't received their Model X because it's stuck in Q/A purgatory
I forgot how the saying goes, but probably unlikely you can have both speed and quality at the same time. I think it is probably better for Tesla to deliver a quality car but late, than a flawed car quickly that they have to have back to the service center later on to fix.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zythryn
The odd thing is that many of us have perfect cars (knocking on wood dash), while some don't. And you cannot point to anything with the configs or VINs to determine how or why. Maybe someone needs to do a deeper analysis on build dates, traffic delays on I 880 or some other esoteric condition to see if there is a collerlary.

Amen @Zythryn I say to you. I might seem pushy to get my 5-seater into my garage, but once it is there I don't want it to be a tease and need to limp back to SC all deflated because of defects in mechanicals, fit/finish or software or hardware. As my sig line says, get the beta testing done by earliest adopters and give me my $100K car in perfect shape, and overwhelm me with quality. If that takes till end of 2016, fine. Just don't skimp on any quality issue prior to handing me my key fobs.

It sure seems like several to a lot of January builds have had serious issues, and been held back for a long time, while in the meantime new builds are zipping out the door. Tesla should do the right thing and just build these people a new car (even if it means issuing them a new VIN), then take their time fixing the first builds to be sold as inventory or CPO, or used as demos/loaners - the latter which they are desperately in need of anyway.

Nobody wants a car with issues, but it does beg another question - if it is going to take more time to get it right, why are they shipping any cars at all? It is the inconsistent nature of what they are doing that is the most worrisome. I would think that you don't need guinea pigs to figure these issues out - QC is aware of them already, I'm sure.

Well I'm not.
We are waiting on our X which is due to be delivered in May.
I would far rather them take their time and get it right, than deliver a car to us with multiple issues.

Latest from Elon on twitter regarding this:

XTweet.png

I new my byline made sense....Thank you beta testers for making my MX the best it can be for "mid-2016" delivery, if that ever happens to a 5-seat Model X. Maybe we'll see folding 2nd row seats, or maybe armrests for the 2nd row seats, maybe a sunshade included!

Reactions: goneskiian
I forgot how the saying goes, but probably unlikely you can have both speed and quality at the same time. I think it is probably better for Tesla to deliver a quality car but late, than a flawed car quickly that they have to have back to the service center later on to fix.
"You can have 'fast', 'good', 'cheap'. Pick two."

The smart play is always to pick fast & good - because it's never cheap. :)

I new my byline made sense....Thank you beta testers for making my MX the best it can be for "mid-2016" delivery, if that ever happens to a 5-seat Model X. Maybe we'll see folding 2nd row seats, or maybe armrests for the 2nd row seats, maybe a sunshade included!
You should be careful that making yourself feel better about your later delivery doesn't come at the expense of offending those of us who are taking early delivery. Thanks notwithstanding.

For the record, I'm not personally offended. It just raises my caution flag.

The odd thing is that many of us have perfect cars (knocking on wood dash), while some don't. And you cannot point to anything with the configs or VINs to determine how or why. Maybe someone needs to do a deeper analysis on build dates, traffic delays on I 880 or some other esoteric condition to see if there is a collerlary.
Or see whose working that shift on those vins.