Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon confirmed addressing my biggest Tesla software deficiency: Tight Parking/360 view

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh, so a fraction of a second later the surround view dissapears? What fraction are you suggesting?

That would depend on the speed of the car.

For example, if the front cameras can see one meter in front of the bumper, as the car rolls forward, what the car saw from that point forward would appear on the 360 view as moving toward the vehicle in a rate commensurate with the speed of the vehicle.

If the vehicle were to start from park, IE, no/old cached data, this area may be blurred or greyed out in some visually appealing way.

Reactions: shellderp
Would like to see some parking assist on the Tesla beyond the rear view camera. I had a '16 Nissan Rogue with the 360 view feature and loved it. You could also cycle to a larger curbside view to see how close you were on the passenger side.

I had this exact same feature on my 2008 Infiniti.

It really should come standard on any large car.

I would think they could cache some of the images that cameras cannot see at all times, and essentially "replay" them as the car moves. More work, yes, but certainly doable.

Wow I would love this. I guess we are then talking about a bit of an augmented 3D view of the cars by combining temporal video feeds of what the car has seen and what it sees now and stitching it al together.

I'm thinking they need to do this anywhere for safe driving in close proximity to objects such as for urban driving.

Oh how I'd love to have some form of 360 view to alleviate some of the stress in tight driving situations. The B Pillar cameras would be a nice starting point for some additional assistance. Best of all it seems just making the B pillar video feeds available should not be all that hard. It would basically be the same as the rear camera view but the two B-pillar cameras.

That would depend on the speed of the car.

For example, if the front cameras can see one meter in front of the bumper, as the car rolls forward, what the car saw from that point forward would appear on the 360 view as moving toward the vehicle in a rate commensurate with the speed of the vehicle.

If the vehicle were to start from park, IE, no/old cached data, this area may be blurred or greyed out in some visually appealing way.
Say I'm pulling in somewhere front first, it takes me say 10 seconds to park, while parking, is the camera showing what's in front of my car shows up to 10 seconds old data? If a dog ran in front of the car, the camera would show me an all-clear?

Also, I assume you are suggesting they do some heavy multi-camera 3d processing in order to determine the car's exact real-time location down a fraction of an inch, for those who are intending to park close to walls, curbs, etc. That is not trivial work, given how badly automatic parallel parking has worked for me (had to stop it from scratching the wheels on curbs almost every time I tried it).

Say I'm pulling in somewhere front first, it takes me say 10 seconds to park, while parking, is the camera showing what's in front of my car shows up to 10 seconds old data? If a dog ran in front of the car, the camera would show me an all-clear?

Also, I assume you are suggesting they do some heavy multi-camera 3d processing in order to determine the car's exact real-time location down a fraction of an inch, for those who are intending to park close to walls, curbs, etc. That is not trivial work, given how badly automatic parallel parking has worked for me (had to stop it from scratching the wheels on curbs almost every time I tried it).

Yeah I don't see them doing this.

Smart Summon drives into cement pillars in garages, we still don't have speed sign recognition, etc..

That said the autopark parallel works pretty well for me thus far. No curbing yet.

That is Tommy's BearBu setup, I installed in my car. works great. and even when driving.

I would LOVE to pay for your system but I am scared that it requires major surgery to the car and I'm not sure who I would trust to do this properly in my area :( Otherwise your solution completely fixes my biggest source of stress driving the Model S and not having any useful parking aid or 360 view when obstacles are less than 10 inches.

Have you looked into having a number of super qualified installers in various parts of the US who know exactly what to do and do it carefully? I'd drive quite a distance somewhere on the East Coast to have this installed by someone who knows what they are doing and will be super careful to not break anything or introduce any squeaks or rattles in the process.

Also want to make sure this will not void the warranty in any way. Can everything be put back to stock, if there is a warranty issue?

Reactions: Tes La Ferrari
how badly automatic parallel parking has worked for me (had to stop it from scratching the wheels on curbs almost every time I tried it).

Yesterday mine picked a corner parking spot with such confidence and I thought it had bags of room to stand a chance.... But after two attempts it nearly took me up a curb on to some grass at completely the wrong angle... Like 45 deg off.

• Funny
Reactions: Cheburashka

Just like the lines on the backup camera. This would be a guide.

And this would likely be one the least hazardous function available to owners of this vehicle even in your edge case.

But either way, it was merely a thought. Personally, I think the benefits outweigh the risks.

Yesterday mine picked a corner parking spot with such confidence and I thought it had bags of room to stand a chance.... But after two attempts it nearly took me up a curb on to some grass at completely the wrong angle... Like 45 deg off.

I feel us mere human drivers getting this video feed and perhaps some synthetic visual approximation of curbs and what else is close to the car is something Tesla will have to do anyway for FSD. Obviously FSD will need to be able to maneuver the car in tight situations and it will need to know where pillars, curbs, and other objects are just as much as a real driver.

Reactions: pilotSteve
My friends $35K FORD auto parks perfectly every time, I was impressed it was so good even in really tight spots that as a driver I would probably not attempt.

The difference is people buying the $35K FORD expect every advertised feature to work perfectly, for some reason many Tesla owners are willing to accept beta or buggy features as normal, I don't get this and I feel their OTA capability allows them to get away with it further.
If a $35K FORD can get auto park working perfectly every time why can't Tesla the self touted tech experts make it work 100% of the time?
As Battpower said above, 45 degrees off!! That is a system that isn't working anywhere near stable.

And the most stupid and frustrating thing is that while my ICE Renault SUV (Kadjar) self parks (with me just shifting) in any orientation of parking space, I would still give the Model S 8 out of 10 if Tesla actually communicated even half as well as they should.

How can a car self park in tight spaces if it's effective resolution is 10"?!

How can it be right that braking behaviour changes significantly right in the middle of driving on the freeway?

Why is there no clear publicly available information from Tesla that explains how battery management is currently configured so that I can make optimal use of it?

I really do love the car, but there is so much that Tesla can and must do better.

I'm very skeptical. Check out what the cameras see when parking in this video
at 7:50
You can't even see the lane markers in the b pillar cameras because they're so high up. I would like having repeater cameras for backing up and blind spots though

So the question is how many inches from the front right right hand corner of the car can the B Pillar see?

I wonder if they can make the ultra sonic sensors count down to about 6 inches rather than the current 10 inches.

Presumably the ultrasonics will pick up said suicidal, unattended dog. Sure, you won’t get a picture of the blur as the dog runs past a camera, but some other warning could suffice in that case.

Reactions: BHCLUC