Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon driving cross-country

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With my dad hat on I would hope that he doesn't take the family in an X unless he makes a public statement about how it has been safety/crash tested. If he did take the X though it would be really cool indeed.

IIRC, the Oct Model S beta ride event was on factory property because you cannot have non-Tesla people ride in a beta car on public roads. You need safety tested production vehicles for test drives/rides. I think Elon has to comply even when driving with Talulah and the kids. He will not make that trip in a Model X in spring time.

Plus, will all seats taken, all the luggage has to fit into the small Model X frunk :frown: which is notorious to not open when operated by Elon :mad: :mad:.

OH.... that's a good point I think most of us had not considered.

Little chance they'd get a Model X certified without the public knowing.

HOWEVER, manufacturers test prototype vehicles on public roads ALL THE TIME, so that doesn't preclude having a Model X-- driven by engineers-- on the trip as a support/follow vehicle. No law that says prototypes can't be shiny, gorgeous and production ready.

OH.... that's a good point I think most of us had not considered.

Little chance they'd get a Model X certified without the public knowing.

HOWEVER, manufacturers test prototype vehicles on public roads ALL THE TIME, so that doesn't preclude having a Model X-- driven by engineers-- on the trip as a support/follow vehicle. No law that says prototypes can't be shiny, gorgeous and production ready.

I'm with you, if anyone can find a simple way around the certification issue, it's Elon. I'm betting that the white model X showing up here and there is the one he takes cross country. I'm betting it's in constant testing mode to make sure that all the little quirks are worked out so nothing embarrassing happens with so many Jalopniks sure to have their eyes on this trip.

IIRC, the Oct Model S beta ride event was on factory property because you cannot have non-Tesla people ride in a beta car on public roads.
I suspect there is language in the law for family of employees of the car-producing company. Might involve a waiver of some kind that Elon and/or his wife would have to sign.

Last edited:
Plus, will all seats taken, all the luggage has to fit into the small Model X frunk :frown: which is notorious to not open when operated by Elon :mad: :mad:.
Actually there is quite a lot of space available in the trunk of the Model X with all the seats up:

1671665-slide-s4a6722shelf.jpg

Gallup is showing up in the database. I was there around midnight last night and there was actually a glitch -- I ended up charging down the road at USA RV site, but by the time I left around 7 this morning, Tesla had already responded, updated the supercharger firmware and powered it up. So it should be good to go now.

BTW, I'm doing a large portion of Elon's cross-country trip right now. I just left Flagstone, AZ and I started in Chicago. I'm moving to Los Angeles. Flagstone was our 14th supercharger since we left five days ago. Just a little ways to go. You can follow our progress at musings on the strait and narrow..

Gallup is showing up in the database. I was there around midnight last night and there was actually a glitch -- I ended up charging down the road at USA RV site, but by the time I left around 7 this morning, Tesla had already responded, updated the supercharger firmware and powered it up. So it should be good to go now.

BTW, I'm doing a large portion of Elon's cross-country trip right now. I just left Flagstone, AZ and I started in Chicago. I'm moving to Los Angeles. Flagstone was our 14th supercharger since we left five days ago. Just a little ways to go. You can follow our progress at musings on the strait and narrow..

Geez, you missed out on both Blanding and Gallup SC's, by a matter of hours in each case. OTOH, you're managing even without them; good on you.

BTW, I'm sure you meant Flagstaff, not Flagstone. Are you two getting enough sleep? :biggrin:

Soooooo... it's officially Spring. Did Elon quietly cancel his much-hyped cross country trip? Is it next week? Week after that?

Curious if he's still doing it. I think he's gonna learn a lot, especially about what Supercharger driving is really like (adding hours to a trip) and I look forward to improvements to the car based on his putting so many miles on one (or several, assuming he has a fleet of backup cars strategically placed along the way :)

Spring Break will be in April.

Any news on Elon and family's road trip? We are planning a trip from L.A. to Moab the week after Easter. I keep thinking it would be fun to see the Musk family somewhere at a supercharger even thought I know the odds are very low.