Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: "Feature complete for full self driving this year"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know that. But the blog also says that you will be required to have your hands on the wheel and a reddit post from an actual user says that the car will require the "apply light force" tug before making an auto lane change. So while auto lane changes will not require driver confirmation, there will still be the nags to make sure you are holding the wheel when it makes the auto lane change.

Yep, if the car doesn't detect your hand on the steering wheel, the "apply light force..." prompt and the blue flashing border come up and the car doesn't actually change lanes until it detects you holding the wheel again.

EDIT: the flashing blue border also animates in the direction of the lane change, you can see it in this video in a few places:
(Video from Firmware 8.5 )

Last edited:
You know, it wouldn't surprise me if someone posted this a while back, but I just noticed that the March 1st blog post that talked about (among other things) inviting us FSD suckers into the early access program has been removed. Thankfully, the folks at the Internet Archive have us covered.

It's pretty god damned hard to have even the slightest shred of confidence in a company when they can't follow through on the most basic of promises and actively try to purge any record of said promises.

• Informative
Reactions: OPRCE and rnortman
Looks like we'll have to wait a few extra days to know more about FSD news.

UPDATE - Tesla To Host Autonomy Investor Day
PALO ALTO, Calif., April 04, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- UPDATE: Based on investor feedback, and in order to accommodate as many attendees as possible, we are moving Autonomy Investor Day to April 22nd. The event will still be held at Tesla Headquarters in Palo Alto.

You know, it wouldn't surprise me if someone posted this a while back, but I just noticed that the March 1st blog post that talked about (among other things) inviting us FSD suckers into the early access program has been removed. Thankfully, the folks at the Internet Archive have us covered.

It's pretty god damned hard to have even the slightest shred of confidence in a company when they can't follow through on the most basic of promises and actively try to purge any record of said promises.

And as I have for every thing Tesla & Elon have said over the last 2.5 years...I have kept screen shots.....just in case they are needed....Burn me once shame on you...burn me twice...we’ll see what happens...

D5E75446-B075-481A-A941-BACDB6AEBC7A.png

Reactions: J1mbo and Skipdd
That... but I guess the point was so far it seems Tesla is not delivering even the crash test dummy program. :)

Or the term 'previous' was causing confusion with people who purchase FSD after the announcement.
Or EAP was causing confusion by refering to two completely different things.
Or they meant something different by EAP in this case:
they meant first push of new firmware that has been through the classical early access
they meant early upgrades to HW3

Or they are taking that off the table entirely. Given that it was not a factor in the original purchase, it seems legal, if annoying.

(I'm leaning toward early HW and SW upgrades, but not beta, since that require a driver with a certain set of skills)

Musk teases more info on the Tesla Network at the April 22 FSD event, aka "autonomy investor day":

AKA "juice sales and stock price day because we just had a terrible quarter day".

Tesla Network has been dangled since the AP2 announcement. Until recently it still said on the website that details would be released "next year" (which would have been 2017 at the time that was posted). So I guess we're finally getting those "details"? Yeah, right.

Reactions: OPRCE and Bladerskb
AKA "juice sales and stock price day because we just had a terrible quarter day".

Tesla Network has been dangled since the AP2 announcement. Until recently it still said on the website that details would be released "next year" (which would have been 2017 at the time that was posted). So I guess we're finally getting those "details"? Yeah, right.

I would be amazed if the April 22 event really did make any big announcements about the Tesla Network. After all, as much as Tesla seems to be making progress towards FSD, I highly doubt that even with AP3 that they are actually ready to do ride sharing with no driver inside. So no, I don't think that Tesla is going to announce the Tesla Network on April 22. I am expecting the April 22 event to show us some meaningful progress on FSD and tease us with some details on how Tesla envisions the Tesla Network working when it does launch in the future.

I would be amazed if the April 22 event really did make any big announcements about the Tesla Network. After all, as much as Tesla seems to be making progress towards FSD, I highly doubt that even with AP3 that they are actually ready to do ride sharing with no driver inside. So no, I don't think that Tesla is going to announce the Tesla Network on April 22. I am expecting the April 22 event to show us some meaningful progress on FSD and tease us with some details on how Tesla envisions the Tesla Network working when it does launch in the future.

I know I'm optimistic, but I think they will have the cars take people for drives (with a safety driver in place on public roads).

I know I'm optimistic, but I think they will have the cars take people for drives (with a safety driver in place on public roads).

That would be freakin' amazing and I hope you are right. If they did that, it would certainly garner a lot of excitement. I do think that AP3 will bring some big improvements to FSD, I just don't expect AP3 to suddenly get to L4 autonomy overnight. It's not easy when you are a "fanboy" but I am trying to temper my expectations at least a little bit. :)

Reactions: OPRCE
That would be freakin' amazing and I hope you are right. If they did that, it would certainly garner a lot of excitement. I do think that AP3 will bring some big improvements to FSD, I just don't expect AP3 to suddenly get to L4 autonomy overnight. It's not easy when you are a "fanboy" but I am trying to temper my expectations at least a little bit. :)

It's not overnight though. They have been working on the new NN and HW3 for years. A new new release on new HW is not tried to the progress on the old SW on the old HW. Especially when the publicly release version needs to be more vetted, proven, and risk free for the general case than than the development version does.

Falcon Heavy did not give SpaceX heavy lift capability overnight, even though they went from not having proven heavy lift to having proven heavy lift in one day.

EDIT: the flashing blue border also animates in the direction of the lane change...
(Video from Firmware 8.5 )

This explains the change for the flashing border nag about a year ago. IIRC it used to be the entire screen (behind the wheel on the S/X) would flash, then it just moved to the top. It was speculated it was because they were preparing to use the location of the flashing for blind spot monitoring, but sounds like it’s being used for this instead. Sounds like a good implementation (as I wait patiently on 2018.8.4...)

Reactions: ironwaffle
I know that. But the blog also says that you will be required to have your hands on the wheel and a reddit post from an actual user says that the car will require the "apply light force" tug before making an auto lane change. So while auto lane changes will not require driver confirmation, there will still be the nags to make sure you are holding the wheel when it makes the auto lane change.

Correct and it was always like this in Europe for ALC without NoAP.
i.e. there has to have been torque detected on wheel within about 8s before executing a lane-change, which can equally well have been applied in the opposite direction to the intended change. So probably NoAP without confirmation will now work like this everywhere.

My prediction of features which will be demonstrated at the event:

Capture1.JPG