Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You must have access to a great pool of SROs/senior managers if you think you can drag and drop people with the experience of Karpathy.
He is already out for 4 months …. As I wrote earlier, Tesla will have a replacement before he comes back (if they don’t already).

People always think Tesla can’t replace senior leaders. SP even used to go down when senior leaders left. No longer.

Tesla is a very high pressure environment with zero work-life balance. Hats off to anyone who works there for a long time. My investment account thanks them.

Reactions: enemji
Elon impressing himself with worthless statistics. What would be worthy, is miles per intervention.
Quote: Increasingly likely that the Tesla vehicle computer will be able to process 288 FPS (36 Hz * 8 cameras)

Hmmm... 36 Hz for each frame. That's 27 milliseconds per frame.

As a possibly interesting side note from the gaming world- there are zero competitive gamers that would consider a 36Hz frame rate to be playable and acceptable. Anyone playing at 36Hz is considered to be a duck shoot and cannot possibly be competitive, no matter how good the player.

Now fps is not reaction time- and we have no idea how long the computer needs to 'think' about each frame. A very fast twitch game player has a reaction time of roughly 100 milliseconds. So they could conceivably use 3 frames of data to decide, and still be a fast reaction driver.

In the software world, no one is non-replaceable. I'm nearing the end of my career in the software world, and observed many of these examples.

I've had privilege to work with real genius people, and when they leave, you scramble, but somehow, you move on with (surprisingly) minimum impact.

This has happened time after time. I'm sure Tesla will do it too.

The only indispensable person is Elon...without him it just becomes another corporation doing what corporations do...this is why I wish he wouldn’t keep picking fights with Putin...

I’m ready to see what a new CEO can do for Tesla because frankly I think a lot of people are done with Elon’s BS.

I don’t care about the stock price, I care about how they handle customers, and right now Elon doesn’t give a *sugar* about customers. This thread and many posts in it make that evident haha.

Hmmm... 36 Hz for each frame. That's 27 milliseconds per frame.

As a possibly interesting side note from the gaming world- there are zero competitive gamers that would consider a 36Hz frame rate to be playable and acceptable. Anyone playing at 36Hz is considered to be a duck shoot and cannot possibly be competitive, no matter how good the player.

Now fps is not reaction time- and we have no idea how long the computer needs to 'think' about each frame. A very fast twitch game player has a reaction time of roughly 100 milliseconds. So they could conceivably use 3 frames of data to decide, and still be a fast reaction driver.

Also bullets are a little faster than cars, let alone pedestrians.... bullets typically have muzzle velocities in the 800-1800 mph range.

The only indispensable person is Elon...without him it just becomes another corporation doing what corporations do...this is why I wish he wouldn’t keep picking fights with Putin...
I used to think similarly, but I'm not so sure about that anymore. I don't watch him like a hawk as some people do, but as time goes on he seems to get stranger and more distracted from any/all of his core businesses. Don't get me wrong, he's brilliant, a media magnet and I believe he truly has good intentions, but between the Putin stuff, covid, the world hunger spat, Twitter, etc...dude, just stop lol. He's got it in people's minds that he's the only one that can steer the ship, but there are other well-meaning people in this world that could likely focus Tesla better than Elon if he were to leave. I also don't believe he's as involved in the day-to-day inner workings of FSD as some might think. Testing and offering high-level guidance, sure, but the man certainly isn't one of the worker bees that's getting in the weeds of the code every day. Heck, between all his various companies (and daily rando tweets), I can't imagine how he finds the time to even provide high-level guidance for everything he's involved in.

Just my two cents (likely worth less than two cents :) )

I used to think similarly, but I'm not so sure about that anymore. I don't watch him like a hawk as some people do, but as time goes on he seems to get stranger and more distracted from any/all of his core businesses. Don't get me wrong, he's brilliant, a media magnet and I believe he truly has good intentions, but between the Putin stuff, covid, the world hunger spat, Twitter, etc...dude, just stop lol. He's got it in people's minds that he's the only one that can steer the ship, but there are other well-meaning people in this world that could likely focus Tesla better than Elon if he were to leave. I also don't believe he's as involved in the day-to-day inner workings of FSD as some might think. Testing and offering high-level guidance, sure, but the man certainly isn't one of the worker bees that's getting in the weeds of the code every day. Heck, between all his various companies (and daily rando tweets), I can't imagine how he finds the time to even provide high-level guidance for everything he's involved in.

He hasn't changed.
The topics have changed.

It’s not about what he does for Tesla on a daily basis, it’s having his conviction and highly specific vision at the top of the company that’s valuable. Having thousands of employees working in the same direction is how amazing things happen, even if that direction is wrong sometimes.

Tesla is HUGE but they are still nimble like a startup because their CEO has the power, knowledge and desire to change direction when necessary.

Most companies have a board of people with their own self interests and it’s impossible to make decisions quickly and they never do anything risky or difficult. They have a CEO puppet that’s more worried about stock price than innovation. I can guarantee you Elon’s passion and genius is far superior to any other CEO of a large corporation in the world.

Just look at the man’s track record: PayPal, Tesla, SpaceX, etc. Compare that the track records of every other CEO in the world. It’s not even close. I want Elon running Tesla as long as he’s interested in being there.

They will turn it onto another boring car company shipping bland look-alike cars, which will eventually we swallowed by another car company.

Isn't that what Tesla already is?

Limited Choices
Limited Options
Limited Colors

Elon is obsessed with the idea of the machine that makes the machine so I don't expect Tesla to ever be a car company of exciting options unless they're high cost like the Roadster 2.0

• Helpful
Reactions: BrerBear
I’m ready to see what a new CEO can do for Tesla because frankly I think a lot of people are done with Elon’s BS.

I don’t care about the stock price, I care about how they handle customers, and right now Elon doesn’t give a *sugar* about customers. This thread and many posts in it make that evident haha.
A guy who registered here 6 months back is "done with Elon".

Give me the name of ONE CEO who would have done what Elon has done with Tesla & SpaceX.

First successful US auto company in 80 years - and first space company ever.

as long as he’s interested in being there.

I think that the crux of the issue.

I don't mind Elon remaining with Tesla in some capacity, but he's far too busy and not interested in day to day stuff.

Tesla needs someone else in charge who can address the day to day stuff, and the increasing amount of bugs/issues. Someone that can help fix the custom support issue they have.

Seems you do not know that forums and threads exists for all automobiles, including BMW, Lexus, Mercedes where people are complaining

I guess right after this headline ... ?

Karpathy not being there might actually improve FSD. No offence to his intelligence but sometimes another brain can do better than what you thought was the best till that time

Reactions: Terminator857
Karpathy not being there might actually improve FSD. No offence to his intelligence but sometimes another brain can do better than what you thought was the best till that time
I think way too much is being made of Karpathy being on sabbatical.

Part of this has to do with the obsession over AI, and I think we overestimate the degree AI plays in FSD beta. Sure it plays a role, but there are so many other components of it. A lot of these other components need some serious help.

I don't see Karpathy being gone as having any impact on FSD beta. In fact what you said very well might be true, but because Karpathy comes back fresh with new ideas.

Heck if I had his role I might have people work on ideas that I think up while I'm still on sabbatical.